This Means War - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

This Means War Reviews

May 24, 2015
Highly well-done spy comedy!
½ May 24, 2015
Wow. This movie is so bad it almost hurts to watch.
½ May 20, 2015
Not a particularly good movie, that should of been a lot better considering it's 3 stars, but I got to admit it's a bit of a guilty pleasure
May 11, 2015
Absolutely charming.
½ May 9, 2015
In the end, it's a meaningless comedy with mild action no big payoff in the clusterf*** of and ending. That being said, I was surprised with how much I laughed or at least smiled. The never ending variety of Hardy's character reach expands as he is this time a lovable family oriented, but single Englishman. It's an alright movie night film. If nothing else, your wife will enjoy it. (64%)
April 29, 2015
This movie is well..bad. The editing is clumsy and acting is so-so. The film is has great setup for a story, but they don't go all out. I love Chris Pine and Reece Witherspoon, but they could have used their talents for a more worthy movie. There are rarely any funny moments. I only remember laughing two or three times. The romance is also really weak and it's not that engaging. The characters are pretty boring and don't have any level of depth. On the bright side, the action scenes are fun sometimes and the cinematography is alright. Overall, This Means War is a bland and forgettable film.
April 22, 2015
I enjoyed this romantic actioner more than it seems others did. I thought Pine and Hardy played off each other extremely well; even better than they did with Witherspoon. Her character, although intelligent, came off as shallow and a bit unlikable, which is difficult to do when she is so spunky. The invasions of privacy and one-upmanship almost got to the overbearing point but not quite. This is mindless fun.
April 22, 2015
It was a great comedy x)
April 7, 2015
This is that type of movie that Reese Witherspoon should have made BEFORE she won an Oscar.
April 5, 2015
Despite the best efforts of its star studded leads, This Means War fails to take advantage of the talent thats right in front of them. Its funny and entertaining in spurts, but the plot is simply stupid and overplayed.
March 31, 2015
Meh...cashing in on the 'star power' of Witherspoon doesn't always work...
March 20, 2015
This Means War is a lazy rendition of a good idea executed poorly. It carries a few good actors, and misuses them for the benefit of the diseased genre. McG has proven once again he has not taste in his design, and will push scenarios in any direction to squeeze anything out of the audience. However, the romance, and the comedy, the two ambitions of this move, were not achieved. Another film thrown in the waste bucket.
March 14, 2015
"Pain is weakness leaving the body."
March 10, 2015
Pretty fun little date night movie. Decent amount of action, comedy... And for the ladies some romance. I recommend it!
March 8, 2015
Very good romantic action comedy. Good mix with Chris Pine, Tom Hardy and Reese Whitterspoon. She has a very difficult choice to make and she doesn't make the one expected but it all turns out for the best in the end.
March 7, 2015
This movie is pretty terrifying. Two handsome friends stalk the same woman into their lives by spying on her and bugging her. Every woman's dream come true!!
February 28, 2015
Alternately funny, then silly. This Means War benefits from 3 capable actors, but then tries to pull a Mr/Mrs Smith copycat.
½ February 26, 2015
(9%)
Three big name stars take more than a couple of steps back in terms of respect as human beings to earn their pay-cheques in this lousy, everything wrong with mainstream Hollywood garbage. I remember this being out in cinemas at a time when my local multiplex had a hugely discounted offer meaning it was actually cheaper to see a new film such as this on the big screen than it was to rent a 4-9 month old one for the small screen at home. And to be honest I'm glad I paid a visit to Blockbuster (R.I.P) and walked out with less change in my pocket than pay a little less to sit through this trash. Chris Pine's character could have been played by almost anyone, Tom Hardy has the look of a man who knows without doubt that he's wasting his time, and Reese Witherspoon's lines largely amount to "oh my god!" over and over again. It's all a bit like watching clearly talented people all huddled around a dirty side street giggling to themselves as they poke at road kill with a stick, only McG's there too dribbling onto himself while standing next to a sack of rotting dog corpses with his penis hanging out. This is a terrible, head thumpingly bad movie, with an awful half-arsed script, phoned-in performances, overblown and very fake looking action, and one of the worst unfunny bum note endings ever to land on a movie producer's desk.
February 25, 2015
A funny, laugh out loud, entertaining action/comedy. Great light entertainment. A lot of fun. (Though no one could seriously believe that Chris Pine is a better catch than Tom Hardy).
February 24, 2015
Not only a low intelligence fast-food kind of entertainment film, which is what I expected, but an embarrassingly awful attempt at that. The excruciatingly painful moment when a friend finishes a long joke or anecdote and the punch line isn't funny is the feeling I had to endure for the full hour and a half. Why I went through the torture of watching it to the end is another question, perhaps to amuse myself with how ridiculously unfunny, unromantic and suicidal the whole experience was. Tom Hardy should stay as far away from comedy as he can roly poly across a paintball minefield and Reese Witherspoon was just plain poor. I give the film one star because Chris Pine was almost decent in his dreadfully designed character and a few minor details were bearable but unfortunately not even a comedy genius could rescue this painstakingly shameful attempt at an action romcom.