This Must Be The Place - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

This Must Be The Place Reviews

½ May 10, 2014
sean penn fascinating me in each role he plays he's multi academy award winner and still able to fascinate me
½ May 8, 2014
Written and directed by Paolo Sorrentino, (Il Divo (2008) and The Great Beauty (2013)), this came about after Sorrentino met Sean Penn at the 2008 Cannes Film Festival, where Il Divo premiered. Penn wanted to work with Sorrentino, and Sorrentino worked on something with Penn in mind, and the finished result is a very different kind of film, it's a good drama but it requires patience. Retired rock star Cheyenne (Penn) has been retired from music for 20 years, and lives with his wife Jane (Frances McDormand) in a large house on the outskirts of Dublin. When Cheyenne hears his father is dying he travels to New York to reconcile, only to arrive too late. He later learns his father was persecuted by the Nazi's in Auschwitz, mainly at the hands of SS Officer Alois Lange (Heinz Lieven). Cheyenne meets professional Nazi hunter Mordecai Midler (Judd Hirsch), who claims that Lange isn't worth going after, but Cheyenne heads off across America looking for Lange, finding Lange's family and anyone who knew him. This is the sort of film that would split people down the middle, and there is a lot to admire about it, and you haven't seen Penn like this before. But it's a little bit too serious, (well, regarding the subject matter, it had to be), but it might have ruined the film completely if it was a bit more tongue in cheek, but this'll do.
½ May 4, 2014
Sorrentino's languorous photography, understated humor, and quiet but profound dramatic reveals coil together into something organic, whole, and achingly sweet. If the movie doesn't entirely get past its hard-to-buy premise, director Paolo Sorrentino does have the courage of his convictions, not just embracing every contradiction but spinning many of the story's contrivances into moments of strange, aching beauty. Feels like a cult movie waiting to happen, or perhaps a mad experiment gone wrong. Either way, it's worth watching Penn, perhaps unwittingly, taking Jeff Spicoli to the burned-out end we might have guessed for him back at Ridgemont High. Quirky, hilarious and moving, Sorrentino's first English-lingo production is a road trip of stunning scope yet deep intimacy, featuring an aged rock star-turned-Nazi hunter played by Sean Penn at his transformative best. It's hard to imagine sitting through the film without Penn in the role of Cheyenne. But there he is, in all his intense, bizarre glory, almost daring us to come along for the ride and rewarding us with a compelling trip when we accept. Place isn't emotionally or dramatically satisfying in the least, but it has a visual fingerprint that's worth a look, boosted by an undeniably memorable performance from Penn. Worth catching for the stunning soundtrack and Sorrentino's mad direction.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
½ April 4, 2014
Bon film o¨ Sean Penn est juste Únormissime.
March 25, 2014
Beautifully filmed, but oddly distant and more eccentric than interesting. Depending upon your point of view, Sean Penn is either giving a brilliant performance or the worst of his career. A case could be made for both perspectives.
March 22, 2014
I like this kind of film and it was well acted , loved his laugh. Offbeat and darkly comedic
March 5, 2014
An amazing story about emptiness - if you get to see beyond the surfice.
February 27, 2014
Profound, hard-hitting, and often beautiful. The acting, directing, dialogue, score speak through their moments of silence.
February 14, 2014
Melodrama with touches of detective novel and road movie, it tells us the story of Cheyenne, a 50 year old goth that used to be the leader of a rock band but that has fallen into disgrace after two fans took their own lives after listening to his songs. Days go by slowly in a tedious routine with his wife in his huge half empty mansion in Ireland until he learns that his estranged father has died in USA. Travelling over there he finds out that his father was in a Nazi camp during the II World War and that the official in charge of it is still around living somewhere in rural America. For some reason Cheyenne decides to look for this Nazi criminal; he then starts this journey through the roads of the heartland of US.
The movie required a strong lead character and Sean Penn certainly fits the bill though I feel he over acts. Or maybe is that some of the features of Cheyenne are a little cartoon like, the big hair, the little voice, the clickety-clack luggage, the excessively shy personality... It would have had more impact if the main character was a regular Joe trying to pay the mortgage. Cheyenne gives a touch of comedy to a dramatic story of self discovery, but it could have totally worked without it. It didn't need the comedy at all, it detracts from the solid and meaningful plot. Plus there are too many issues for Cheyenne apart of the broken relationship with his father, issues that are left unanswered: his guilt over the death of the two youngsters, his shyness, his lack of children, his very particular relationship with his health obsessed wife... In return there are cool scenes embedded of philosophical meaning which I really appreciate.
February 9, 2014
Outstanding performance by Sean Penn!!! He is probably one of the greatest actor alive.. The movie is strange but if you give it a chance it is quite good although there are parts that don't work.
½ January 19, 2014
I liked this, liked the main character. Such an odd character, it was really neat to see Sean Penn play him. Many humorous moments. Not crystal clear story-telling, but that's okay and gives the viewer more to contemplate.
January 16, 2014
David Byrne soundtrack, too!
January 5, 2014
Loved Sean Penn. didn't know he had some Jew in him. No wonder he's so talented
January 4, 2014
Another beautiful and unique movie from Paolo Sorrentino.
December 29, 2013
truly thought provoking and Cheyenne is truly brilliantly played by Sean Penn one of my favs
December 9, 2013
I had (probably overly) high expectations of the movie given that Sean Penn was the lead. My partner and I found his deliquescent voice supremely irritating (if not impossible to understand) 5 minutes into the movie. His portrayal of a retired ex-goth star utterly fails to convince as it falls immediately into a non-researched caricature that has very little to do with actual goths (admittedly with the exception of the Robert Smith's wig). We gave up after about 50 minutes. All in all, not worth bothering with.
December 8, 2013
Sean Penn A-. Everything else Is below average.
½ December 1, 2013
O.V.R 6.5/10...great character acting by Penn
November 27, 2013
Sean Penn in drag is good.