Thomas Kinkade's Christmas Cottage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thomas Kinkade's Christmas Cottage Reviews

½ November 24, 2016
I hate these little Christmas family melodramas, and this is a very cheap one with nice performances but very little else worth noticing apart from the fact that Jared Padalecki is a strikingly handsome young actor, and that's it.
November 27, 2015
The movie feels like an old black and white movie due to the slow pacing and the nature of the dialogue, which is perfect for the atmosphere of the movie. This movie is incredibly tragic and depressing, but heartbreakingly realistic. It's so grim that it's hard to watch at times on account of the overwhelming gloom. Yet the saddest scenes are the most poignant ones. If you've seen Jared Padalecki as Sam in Supernatural or as Dean in Gilmore Girls, you know that he is a master at portraying youthful innocence in a grounded, relatable way. Sam and Dean were never quite as optimistic and idealistic as Thomas Kinkade is in this movie, so it's a marvel to see Jared add such depth and uniqueness to Thomas without making him anything remotely like Sam or Dean.
November 21, 2014
This was a very sweet holiday movie.
December 28, 2013
Nice premise. Ok story... Good christmasy feeling. Glad I found it in a bargain bin.
½ October 7, 2013
Overly sentimental and over-acted yet surprisingly enjoyable Thomas Kinkade's Christmas Cottage will never be esteemed alongside most holiday classics but does enough to give a chance during the holidays.
September 16, 2013
A superb insight into Mr Kinkade's early life and inspiration wrapped up in a wonderful Christmas story. Peter O'Toole is masterful.
December 19, 2012
F-
One of the most poorly-made movies I've ever seen.
October 14, 2012
Husband watched this one.
July 23, 2012
Real story films are always heartwarming and inspiring. The only problem it has is the acting.
½ July 20, 2012
Really good movie!!!
April 22, 2012
This was a pretty cute movie. It gives great love and makes you feel about making your life better. It is based on a true story is great and has great insight into a true family. It is very much a feel-good type of movie. I suggest it for anyone who is a holiday fanatic, great movie for Christmas time :)
½ December 21, 2011
I thought it was a wonderful movie.
November 23, 2011
½ October 11, 2011
This would melt many people's hearts and make them weep and be happy to be alive ... and while there is nothing wrong with any of those feelings or sentiments, it bothers me when a movie is THIS heavy-handed with the schmaltz. If this were a plate of pancakes, the plate AND the table would be overflowing with sticky, sweet syrup. And syrup is good -- it is yummy and sweet; but there can be too much of it. The film is sweet and sentimental and life-affirming like a wholesome Thomas Kinkade paiting of an adorable cottage. It is one that you fear criticizing as some will object and call you heartless ... not understanding that my critique of the film is not the warm and fuzzy story (which is "nice" to come across) but the over-abundance of the warm and fuzzy that could be constricting and suffocating. It it when someone tries TOO hard and tries to say ALL of the right things ... the film is too manufactured to be an ideal perfection. I appreciated the "never-give-up your dreams of being an artist" element of the story -- VERY much so; it is just that there are too many servings of syrup onhand for this film enthusiast to enjoy. Many would/will LOVE this film and I am happy that movies are made that re-affirm the wonderful-ness of life and dreams ... but I don't want to see something try THIS hard to make one feel oh-so-happy as it felt contrived and therefore not realistic.
August 2, 2011
Lovely but then I like Thomas Kinkade!
May 10, 2011
First of all, I enjoyed the film, the story was based on a true story and I must say 'Don't give up, keep the light on'. This was pure magic and inspiring.

Plot: The story goes around Thomas Kinkade's painting The Christmas Cottage, and how the artist was motivated to begin his career after discovering his mother was in danger of losing their family home. How this will end? Check the film out or the biography of Tom itself. I must admit, 7th Art makes me smile always, no matter if it's in acting or art (drawings, painting, animation, etc.) Stars for this wonderful plot.

Acting: Well, this one is the hardest one, since the cast is comepletly amazing. I will start with Aaron Ashmore. He was stunning and great and he nailed the role, even if he did not got enough lines (lines don't make the artist). Marcia Harden was splendit and wonderful in her role, very nice and charming also. Same Peter O'Toole as Glen. What an actor and what a talent gosh. Chris Elliott was funny as always and a bad ass too (his roles are always fantastic to watch and laugh a bit and hate it too). And last but not least, Jared Padalecki as Thomas Kinkade. I have seen all his movies and TV shows (well...not that gossip show), and this role is SO DIFFERENT to those supernatural shows he has been on (and films duh!). I think he was inspiring, and very involved on the character, he nailed it. Stars for this cast!

Music: Best part also and hardest too. Stars for this christmas gift (this songs are good for the ears and the heart).

To end this review, 4 stars of 5. Enjoy and remember, the light is the one that guide us, that light us the way, that makes us read normally when it's dark, that makes us smile when we are doing what we love, and defenetly, the best gift the Sun can give us when the night is coming down. CHAO and bless you all. HASTA LA PROXIMA AMIGOS/AS!!!
February 1, 2011
It's made by some great greeeat moments of amazing acting and touching words. Those moments make it worth it, even with so many needless trying-to-be-humorous scenes. The obvious essay of mimicking Gilmore Girls almost makes the movie look stupid, but things end up nicely after all. Very bright.
½ January 2, 2011
Jared Padelecki stands strong along side Peter O'Toole who both give grand performances, as well as Marsha Gay Harden in this bio of the early life of artist Thomas Kinkaide. For a low budget independent film, I found it enjoyable. Special features on the DVD offers an interview with the artist himself. Interesting story and sure to please if you are a fan of the artist himself.
½ January 2, 2011
This is a 5 star movie. I think Jared Padalecki did a great job of protraying Thomas Kinkade as a young man begining to find himself and his art.
½ December 20, 2010
Peter O'Toole was great as always.