Thor: Tales Of Asgard Reviews

• Jun 17, 2020

Look, I know animation lead time is a thing but it's really hard not to be suspicious of the timing of this direct-to-DVD entry that's also the last of the Marvel Animated Features. About a week and a half after the live-action film came out in U.S. cinemas. All that was missing was a post-credits still image that tells viewers to see Thor in cinemas now. They even have a similar premise about how Thor's reckless actions risk the beginning of a war with the Frost Giants. Though here, he doesn't get banished to Earth. The movie itself isn't the worst but it's not very good either. The animation is okay but not amazing. The action sequences are passable but forgettable, especially when you compare them to just how fun the action scenes in Marvel Cinematic Universe features can be. The voice acting is good though for anybody used to hearing the MCU voices, it's jarring to hear people who don't sound at all like Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston and Anthony Hopkins. Honestly, the big problem is just how rushed the entire feature feels. I'm not blaming the runtime since DC's animated features are just as short yet are still well-paced but it still feels like everybody wanted to get this movie out of the way to make a quick buck/to coincide with the live-action blockbuster. I don't have the highest opinion of Tales of Asgard but if you just want to kill some time, you could do worse than this swan song to a series of direct-to-DVD animated Marvel movies that never worked out the way Lionsgate was likely hoping for...except for maybe bringing the character of Deadpool more attention.

• Jan 18, 2020

It’s nice to e new story for Thor with new Perspective and new age without any doubt I love the good brotherhood with Loki

• Nov 29, 2017

Thor as a teenage buffoon. Thank the gods this is only an hour long.

Thor as a teenage buffoon. Thank the gods this is only an hour long.

• Jamie C Super Reviewer
    Sep 22, 2017

Pretty entertaining Thor animated film, I like how they focused on more of a younger fragile Thor which worked well, The story was pretty good, The animations were ok in parts but sloppy in others, Some ok action scenes but it always felt like it never wanted to do anything out of the norm so it felt predictable at times, As far as Marvel animated films go it's above average and there's just enough humour for the kids to enjoy too.

• Sep 14, 2017

Terrible marvel movie.

Terrible marvel movie.

• May 06, 2017

As others have pointed out, this is an entertaining film but Marvel could have done more with a character such as Thor at the helm of one of their animated feature films. Instead they chose to tell a story about teenage Thor & Loki. Meh...

• Mar 14, 2017

Maybe it's because I've read Tales of Asgard but this was just fine.

Maybe it's because I've read Tales of Asgard but this was just fine.

• Oct 10, 2016

Good animated movie that I was able to enjoy with my sons, interesting story line and look at a young Thor with a sword before the Hammer.

• Apr 12, 2015

I have never seen a Thor anime before, so was quite excited to watch this. I was a little dissapointed that it is actually about the early years of when he was still a young boy rather than the badass hammer wielding god of thunder, however the story is quite good and it touches on Loki before he turned into a baddy. Matter of fact it is the other way round, Thor was the big headed annoying mischievous brother while Loki was a happy, peaceful and level headed. This changes by the end due to the adventure they had to the frost giants and finding the Surtur sword. I can't say that I would like to see this story in a film as a prequel to Thor (2011) but it does in a way touch up on the relationship between both brothers that leads to the actual film. It isn't so bad.

• Mar 09, 2015

eh not the best but not the worst I've seen.

eh not the best but not the worst I've seen.