Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines Reviews

November 12, 2015
I say, that was a damn fine film, what.
½ March 26, 2015
Bloated inferior version of The Great Race which could have done with some muscular editing. Redeeming feature is Terry Thomas's performance otherwise nothing special. Drat and double drat!
March 18, 2014
Likeable film that was a good way to spend an afternoon, recovering from a bout of the flu.

The character types were part of the fun. This film had the dashing English hero, and a villain, who looked to be the inspiration for the cartoon character, Dick Dastardly.
December 20, 2013
Loved it as a kid... love it as an adult
July 6, 2013
Pretty silly with stereotypical gags of nations competing for the glory of the race from London to Paris.
½ April 20, 2013
Great fun under many aspects.
½ February 21, 2013
This film has the same wacky mayhem feel of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World but it instead revolves around an international competition to fly across the English Channel. Perhaps there is not that much substance but there are some hilarious moments
February 6, 2013
Top gun of slapstick early-aviation comedies.
December 16, 2012
So, so silly! This film is ridiculous, but genuinely still funny. National stereotypes never get old, and this film takes real advantage of every one you can think of. Funny stuff, plus the theme is great.
December 14, 2012
I loved this movie, it was a very funny movie and I want it on DVD, great funny film, I loved it, it starred Terry Thomas, Eric Sykes and Jean-Pierre Cassel. it's a great funny film I loved it
½ October 14, 2012
This is too slow and talky for most modern audiences, but it's certainly got its moments. I loved the intro on earliest-flight, the production skill in resurrecting the oldest functional planes (and cars), some of the stuntwork, most of the cast, the stunning English countryside location work, and the book end cartoons.

The central love triangle is a dud, partly because those three cast members aren't too charismatic. In fact, I rate this film nowhere near as highly as "The Great Race" - partly because the leads can't compare to Curtis/Lemmon/Falk/Wood/Wynn, partly because of the slower pace, and partly because The Great Race is SO much sillier than TMMITFM.

Yet it's still a fun artifact and an impressive production parodying a fascinating age. Highlights include Terry Thomas's moustache twirling, Benny Hill, and Gert Frobe doing un-Goldfinger like comedy. The best thing about this film is that it was the inspiration for Wacky Races.
October 11, 2012
Hysterically funny moments. The love story is garbage but that's life. Amazing theme song. This movie is the superior version of The Great Race.
September 1, 2012
I find it still funny even after all of the time since it came out.
July 26, 2012
This was one of my favourite films as a kid! Looking back, it's very silly, and seems a bit outdated, but it's still a lot of fun.
½ July 18, 2012
This film is great fun. Set in 1910, it depicts a flying race between the best aviators in the world, and as such is choc-a-bloc full of national stereotypes, and general silliness. It's a great film for all the family which I've thoroughly enjoyed each time I've sat down to watch it.
½ March 30, 2012
Classic British comedy with all the charm and warmth you'd expect from some fantastic actors of the time.
½ January 11, 2012
Not so much a "comedy" as an "amusement", since it rarely achieves "funny". It's an amiable film, though, and shows off some great recreations of early aeroplanes.
November 13, 2011
This is one of my all-time favorites. The comedy ranges from nice to farce. The cinematography is great. Best of all, they built - and flew for the movie - planes of that era making some of the most beautiful flying video, ever. I bought it as soon as it came out on DVD and I re-watch it from time to time. If you've ever liked or aspired to fly, I'd bet you would like this movie.
½ October 19, 2011
Not so much a "comedy" as an "amusement" since it rarely achieves "funny". It's an amiable film, though and shows off some great recreations of early aeroplanes.