Three and Out - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three and Out Reviews

½ July 11, 2010
Started well, got a bit boring but improved once gemma arterton made an appearance.
½ June 9, 2010
Wow to be honest I did not expect this movie to be good at all. A completely original idea that while it does drag a bit in the beginning is made up for by about the thirty minute mark. What follows is a surprisingly heart-felt "human-drama" about love, loss and abandonment. What makes the film work is easily the cast: Mackenzie Crook is perfect in his subtle and lonely writer/"tube-driver", Colm Meaney is brilliant as the suicidal/crotchety old father, Imelda Staunton is absolutely flawless as the "trying-to-keep-it-together" stay at home mom and Gemma Arterton is extraordinary as the angry daughter. A film that was not at all what I thought it was going to be, which is why I really enjoyed it, completely out of left field.
June 6, 2010
A weird film that you don't ever really get into..
½ April 4, 2010
An amazing and unique funny story line ... with a great cast .... a really good add to all the black comedy films out there
½ March 2, 2010
Much better than expected......really enjoyed, and worth watching.
November 6, 2009
I wasn't expecting much from this movie so it didn't fail to deliver. A very British comedy - it's not funny. There are some comedic moments but these generally offer relief from the soul-searching, male-bonding road trip that is the crux of the film. Had it not been marketed as a comedy, this would have been a much better-received film.
½ August 10, 2009
Quite good actually x
August 8, 2009
I thought this film was excellent. I only found out about it at work when my colleagues were condemning it and sending around a petition against it. I am a London tube driver. I did not sign the petition because I wanted to see the film first, give it a chance and see what all the fuss was about. And I'm glad I did. It is a great British black comedy with a heartening story line. Well worth a watch. And for the record, the "three and out rule" does not exist. It pays to make up one's own mind about things, such as films and not listen to others criticisms.
½ August 6, 2009
Fairly average film, watch it if you like black comedy.
August 5, 2009
two stars for Gemma Arterton.
TheSlowJoker
½ August 4, 2009
at first i didnt thinkit was up to much and thought it was going to be pretty simple and not up to much

but the more i watched it and the more i got into it the better it becamse

the acting wasnt the best ive ever seen and the story wasnt up to much either but it was pretty original and in the end it was kinda good

i would deffinetly see it again
August 1, 2009
I was expecting something different - more of a comedy - but this is quite a touching story about family and friendship. A tad slow at times, and some of the comedic moments are a bit cringey, but it was an enjoyable film, kept you guessing, and I even shed a wee tear at the end.
½ July 24, 2009
I actually think this is a seriously under-rated movie and the trailers I saw did not do it justice at all.

Mackenzie Crook plays Paul Callow, a tube driver who, desperate to escape the drudgery of driving a tube train and struggling to pay the rent (that's not that accurate though because as I understand it tube drivers earn good money) is tricked into believing that if a third person falls under his train he will receive a massive pay-out which will enable him to fulfil his dream of moving to a remote island and writing his novel.

As he searches for the elusive third victim he stumbles across Tommy, a depressed Irishman (Colm Meaney) who is unable to bring himself to commit suicide. Oddly the two characters enter into a pact, and Tommy impresses upon the tube driver that 'A deal's a deal'.

However, complications arise when Paul invites himself for a road trip when Tommy heads to the Lake District to bid farewell to his estranged wife Rosemary (Staunton) and feisty daughter Frankie (Arterton). Paul finds it increasingly difficult to distance himself from the situation when he befriends and sleeps with Frankie (again, unlikely that a stunner would jump into bed with someone less good-looking but I doubt many male viewers will complain at seeing those breasts).

When the unlikely friends return to London after forming some strong bonds Paul balks at assisting Tommy in his planned suicide but is reminded 'A deal's a deal'.

Three and Out was marketed as a comedy (quite incorrectly in my view) when it is in fact a fascinating character study and subtle love story. Boasting strong performances from an acclaimed cast and a thumping soundtrack (I'd forgotten the Undertones ever existed!) Three and Out is wholly recommended viewing.
July 21, 2009
Girlfriend has it but someone lost the disc :(
½ June 16, 2009
Decent comedy drama with Mackenzie Crook as a man who, already bored with his job as a London tube driver, becomes even more depressed when two people throw themselves under his train in as many weeks. But later our man finds out if he hits three people iin a month he gets early retirement and 10 years salary. Spurred on by this he attempts to find a third victim/accident so he can finish his job, claim the ten years salary and move to his dream house, in the middle of nowhere in Scotland, and get on with his dream job as a writer. This is a well written, effective comedy drama with good performances from Crook, Colm Meaney, Imelda Staunton and the lovely Gemman Arterton.
May 28, 2009
i heard about this film a while ago but just got round to watching it.
it has some really great parts,but just can't keep the pace throughout
½ May 27, 2009
A decent British comedy. Fun, a bit long, but enjoyable to watch nonetheless. And most of all, it gave Kerry Katona her best role since... well... The Iceland ads I suppose...
½ May 15, 2009
Much better than I thought it would be!
May 3, 2009
Nothing like I imagined. Was expecting lots of bad taste humour but wasn't particularly funny at all. Quite a sweet storyline in fact and a little sad in bits. MacKenzie Crook was much better than expected tho I did find the idea of someone as beautiful as Gemma Arterton sleeping with him quite diffuclt to believe!
May 2, 2009
I'm not quite sure what to make of this.

For what was supposed to be a comedy there was a lack of jokes, and a bigger focus on the emotional side of the story- I didn't think there was a good balance.
Overall, it's an ok film. I thought the concept seemed sort of different and original from the trailer but really it's just an average film.

I can see myself forgetting this movie, for me nothing that stood out.