Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri Reviews

½ November 15, 2018
a VERY MANIPULATIVE MOVIE. oNCE YOU SEE THE TRICK (SET UP AN OBVIOUS SITUATION, THEN SUBVERT IT) IT BECOMES TIRESOME.
November 15, 2018
After watching the trailer, I expected to watch a film of mama bear rage directed at crooked cops and the enaction of some southern justice on some rapists. What I saw instead was unwarranted prejudice by both cops and citizens alike, blatant abuse from the "protagonist" that is supposed to be written off as okay because she's grieving, and overall a complete disregard for law pervaded the entire film. The only thing you might be able to glean from this movie is that pouring out your anger on all of the people around you does nobody any good, and generally causes a lot of unnecessary pain. I won't be watching this one again.
November 14, 2018
With flawless acting from the entire cast, this highly compelling film fuses black comedy terrifically with intense drama.
½ November 10, 2018
'The Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri' is a challenging film, for both its themes and the ideas explored.
The film follows Mildred Hayes' dealing with the circumstance and grief of her daughter's death, unsolved by police.
The billboards she pays to have put up, are an attempt to goad the police into action, -'raped whilst dying' and calling out the chief of police, are very powerful.
To match this the dramatic reveal of what the billboards say is clever as they are shown back to front, increasing the enigma of why she feels so strongly for the cause she is fighting for.
Mildred's character is interesting as she strays away from the common motherly stereotype. She knows how to stand her ground, and is quite rough around the edges. This was very fitting with the role her character has, the intensity of her character, and how we are supposed to sympathize with her.
This film has a lot of action and is a very intense watch. It includes rape, murder, suicide, adultery, domestic abuse, and long-term illnesses, challenging topics explored in the narrative. The convincing characters draw the audience into feeling very involved, and this consequently makes the plot more thought-provoking.
I would highly recommend this film, but feel it is important to know that it is not a 'light watch' and will likely leave you feeling heavy-hearted and will provoke lots of thoughts and emotions.
½ November 7, 2018
Really an amazing film that deftly takes on serious and crushing subject matter with such talented humour and deep character portrayal.
½ November 5, 2018
I am a huge, HUGE fan of IN BRUGES, the marvelous movie from Martin McDonagh, who both wrote and directed 3 BILLBOARDS. It's got lots of violence and "crime action" with some really terrific anti-heroes, great dialogue presented by actors doing their best work (Colin Farrell has never been better), an off-kilter romance and nice plot twists and a dark-comedy "happy" ending. Great stuff.

I also love Frances McDormand, and I think Sam Rockwell is a seriously overlooked & underestimated actor. So I was completely stoked to see this movie, and then so disappointed. I think more than anything, it shows that the delicate balancing act McDonagh had with IN BRUGES, where awful behavior from awful people could actually be made sympathetic and exciting, is harder to juggle than one might think.

In the film, McDormand plays a mother whose teen daughter has been murdered. She lives on the edge of a small Missouri town, and rents 3 nearby billboards and uses them to call out (in large letters) local law enforcement (particularly sheriff Woody Harrelson) for their lack of progress on her daughter's case. These anger billboards stir up major resentments throughout town, and McDormand responds with a level of vitriol that is a sight to behold. This part is perfect for her in so many ways...it's as though her OLIVE KITTERIDGE character has become an avenging angel. She's got such a great combination of smarts, sarcasm and foul-mouth. Yet when the script calls for moments of vulnerability, she nails those too, and can be pretty heartbreaking.

Rockwell is sensational, His role appears to be very skin-deep but he continues to evolve before our eyes, and his character progression ends up becoming the most interesting. He plays the role of a sheriff's deputy whose resentment for McDormand and his own seething anger at himself are all tangled up. And as the sheriff, Harrelson is convincing and often touching. Frankly, everyone is pretty darn good. Lucas Hedges, Peter Dinklage, Caleb Landy Jones and on and on. Everyone tears into their juicy parts with gusto.

The problem is the direction (and maybe the underlying script). Remember the balance I talked about with IN BRUGES? Well, it's all off here. Some bad things happen or people do bad things with really bad consequences. And it's not entertaining. We suddenly stop by sympathetic for people we were set up to root for. I suppose one could argue that the film shows how anger, resentment, revenge, etc. just never work out...but the film fails to demonstrate WHILE keeping our sympathy. The events of the story (rather than the characters) become too much, too mean-spirited. Towards the end, moments that should have been "tear-jerkers" are just hard to tolerate. Characters literally get away with things they shouldn't. As the plot unwinds, the plot turns feel unearned and arbitrary. McDonagh reveals a mean streak that's not terribly attractive or engaging.

I suspect the film will be nominated for lots of awards, particularly for acting. And they are deserved. This is far from a terrible movie. But I also suspect many nominees will remain just that...nominees and not winners. (The best shot for a win is Sam Rockwell, and I'd be okay with that. He's pretty amazing in this film.) By all means see it...but not if you have delicate sensibilities. If you're okay with lots of people behaving badly, swearing a HUGE amount and things not working out like you'd prefer...you should find plenty to admire.
November 5, 2018
This was a truly captivating story from start to finish. The acting was incredible and the cinematography was sublime. Not all stories need a fairytale like happy ending. Some endings can be happy while not being the happiness envisioned. In this story, the lead character finds her happiness in switching the mode by which she channels her pain: she goes from anger to forgiveness.
½ November 3, 2018
Things happens in this film that would not fly in the real world. It is a comedy of retaliations, with irony, full of the psychopaths of USA. Good laughs!
½ November 1, 2018
(92/100)
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is a movie which I knew nothing about, only that it was good. So watching the movie was a real surprise. It's story is so compelling and serious yet funny. There are just some scenes that are really, really serious and then a joke gets made and it's just hilarious. The writing on this movie is great too. I just love it is all I can say.
November 1, 2018
Martin McDonagh first caught my attention with the very funny, violent, dark and offensive In Bruges. He followed this up with Seven Psychopaths which was in a similar vein to his first movie but didn't appeal so much. Now i never expected the man behind these 2 movies to come up with this award winning unexpected gem. It is still very much a Martin McDonagh film, you can tell by the way the characters speak to each other and the language that is used but this movie has a whole lot more heart behind it. It's a story about both forgiveness and revenge that finds Frances McDormand's character rent the 3 billboards of the title to goad the police into action regarding the death of her daughter. I thought Frances McDormand was superb as was Sam Rockwell, playing a character so filled with rage and contempt for those around him who only through tragedy finds the person he could have been all along. A very decent film where the laughs are found in some dark places.
October 29, 2018
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is a fantastic film about anger and how people deal with it. But weirdly enough, it often times takes it in a humorous way, which weirdly works.

10/10
October 27, 2018
Fantastic! Great characters, compelling story, well played-out and fun to watch. Best movie I've seen all year.
½ October 26, 2018
Brilliant acting, tough end might disappoint you.
½ October 24, 2018
Loved this movie. You never know who you really like or who you are cheering for. Watch again
½ October 22, 2018
Very dramatic and gripping but also possesses a humor to it that is very unique and well done. Fantastic cast and very well done.
October 21, 2018
Rarity of rarities in mainstream cinema, with two brilliant perfomances written and directed by guy who gave us "In Bruges".
October 20, 2018
I just finished watching THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING MISSOURI.
I'm not sure how I feel....or rather at the moment I'm overwhelmed by McDonagh's gut punch of a film.
The movie puts you through the ringer and is so full of rage (and I mean rage with a huge Capitol R) mixed with beautiful moments of unexpected tenderness .
To me, The film seems to be a story about the importance of self forgiveness.
The open ended/somewhat ambiguous ending left me feeling emotionally..I guess...lost and terribly sad. (During the last scene I personally found myself whispering to the characters Mildred and Dixon, "Please come to your senses, make the correct choice!")
I doubt that anyone who views this film will be able to be indifferent about what they have just witnessed. There are a few plot points that are questionable.. but overall, very effective.
For very personal reasons, from the few Oscar Best Picture nominees that I've seen, I wish CALL ME BY YOUR NAME would pick up the statue for Best Picture, but it doesn't stand a chance.
Sam Rockwell is definitely going to win best supporting actor, he's a fantastic actor and it's a VERY showy role. (although I still think Michael Stuhlbarg should have been nominated and should have won the Oscar for best supporting actor for his amazingly beautiful/understated performance in CALL ME BY YOUR NAME).
I have no doubt Frances McDormand will win the Oscar for Best Actress and with her fierce uncompromising performance as Mildred Hayes, she probably deserves the award. The only thing is.. I still haven't seen THE SHAPE OF WATER and I always LOVE the work of Sally Hawkins.
If you haven't seen THREE BILLBOARDS.. do yourself a favor and go see it or rent it. However, if you are sensitive to strong violence and rough/foul mouthed language (McDonagh's dialogue makes playwright/screenwriter David Mamet's language seem tame) you may want to pass on THREE BILLBOARDS.
One final note: The scene with the deer still moves me immensely, no matter how many time's I've seen it (it's in the trailer for the film). It's a fantastic scene!
October 18, 2018
Brilliant and heartbreaking.
October 14, 2018
The performances are extraordinary, and the film's dark comedic beats make Three Billboards elevated above a script that seems faster than it should be.
October 11, 2018
There is a lot good about it and things to think about. Having said that, I did not enjoy it as much as the buzz led me to believe. There are some significant challenges to credulity in there. Plot bits and character turns. Bits that feel too written and staged. And I have never been a fan of endings that aren't endings. But it's a fascinating premise and the exploration of it resonates with some real-world issues of today. So much anger man. So much anger. 7.3 out of 10. On second viewing, I am upping that rating. It's really good. It moves well. Yes, there are a few bits that feel too staged, but I did not find them as conspicuous as the first time around. It's very good. It's about 10 times more suitable for Best Picture than The Shape of Water. 7.8 out of 10