Three Came Home - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three Came Home Reviews

August 18, 2014
geipping WWII tale post WWII
October 13, 2013
Claudette Colbert is sensational in the central role of real life author Agnes Keith, who along with her husband and young son was interred by Japanese soldiers during World War 2 This is a moving and sensitively handled drama which occasionally descends into melodrama. Sessue Hayakawa is also impressive as Col. Saga.
½ July 14, 2013
Quite a pacy telling of a fairly well-worn story about the Japanese invasion of Borneo during WW2. Claudette Colbert seemed so watery and dreary for a lead that my sympathies quickly shifted over to Colonel Suga - a much more entertaining Japanese officer 'with a heart', especially towards the end. The very ending is corny but all in all, not bad. 7.25/10
July 13, 2013
Boring and pedantic in the opening minutes - the film, and Colbert's performance, comes alive in the middle with a satisfying ending which leaves you guessing up to that last minute. While the Japanese are definitely the baddies they aren't caricatures; and the shocking moments were truly shocking to 1950 audiences - they are still alarming today.
½ August 26, 2012
War movie to show American how bad the Jap's were in the second world war.
½ May 9, 2012
Well-made production that doesn't portray the Japanese as harshly as similar films. Ended on a happy note. My favorite film with both Claudette Colbert and Sessue Hayakawa.
flixsterman
April 21, 2012
Even in the midst of a Japanese concentration camp, Claudette Colbert's poise and class shines through. What an amazing, beautiful human being.
December 7, 2010
59% does not do this film justice. Shades of "Bridge on the River Kwai" with Sessue Hayakawa even more effective and Claudette Colbert doing the great job she always does reliving for us the Japanese POW camp. The cast of women and children were perfect for their portrayal of inmates and the range of behavior for the Japanese guards was authentic. 79%.
½ December 7, 2010
Extraordinary movie, perhaps Colbert's finest role, and a fine if brief introduction to Sessue Hayakawa in his role as Japanese camp commander and a man whose fate matches that of some of his prisoners.
½ August 31, 2010
Good human drama film. Thought I recognised the Japanese colonel. He played a Japanese colonel in "Bridge over the River Kwai" as well.
December 5, 2009
This is such a fine and inspiring film, Claudette Colbert gives a stand out performance, and Sessue Hayakawa gives an amazing supporting performance. It does tend a little too heavy on melodrama, but it's an unforgettable and beautifully done film.
November 8, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie.....i think that sung li, sessue hayakawa, phyllis morris, howard chuman, mark keuning, patric knowles, florence desmond, claudette colbert, alex frazer play good roles/parts throughout this movie....i think that the director of this drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie i think that this is a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its a really sad movie but its got a good cast throughout this movie n its a really touching movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie
April 1, 2009
Excellent war-time movie.
½ August 23, 2008
It's such a great film. Check it out on TCM Channel
June 25, 2008
This film is at pains to say it was based on a true story, wow those Japanese War Camps were like the Hilton! Check me in!
½ June 23, 2008
Based on a true story, thie film follows a woman and her young son taken captive in Borneo by the Japanese in WWII. I was surprised that there was some sympathetic treatment of the Japanese - this was only five years after the end of the war, but expected a lack of realism concerning the state of the prisoners - today we would expect them to be portrayed looking thinner and dirtier. An interesting story, which was spoilt for me by the schmaltzy ending.
½ March 28, 2008
A bit on the sentimental side but all the same a good POW movie that gets its brutal message across.
March 22, 2008
Very good movie, I would recommend it to anyone who likes old movies or ww2 movies!!
October 30, 2007
Life in a Japanese prison camp during World War II. This movie is difficult to watch and can seem dated, but it's fairly true to the memoirs from which it was written. The last few minutes will stay with you for a long time. I highly recommend it.
October 9, 2007
The best film of Colbert's career -- even if they didn't portray the true sincerity of Keith's memoir, they didn't totally do a hatchet job on their adaptation.