Three Coins in the Fountain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three Coins in the Fountain Reviews

September 19, 2016
Three bad actresses meet in Italy and set the women's rights movement back a century as they desperately search for a husband so that they can feel they have worth. Yes, I realize this film is a product of its time, and the 1950s wasn't the most progressive time in our history, but I was just stunned with how backwards the thinking was in this movie. Woman #1 has abandoned hopes of finding a husband in Italy, so she plans on moving back to the US to increase her odds of catching one. Woman #2 engages in an extremely elaborate string of lies and tricks in order to manipulate a man into marrying her. And finally, woman #3 convinces her boss (who is clearly gay) to propose to her even though he may die soon and he only proposes to keep her from leaving. So we start with weak characters doing stupid things for pathetic reasons. That would be bad enough but then there's the presentation. The director of this movie clearly had about as much interest in the story as I did, because Three Coins in the Fountain plays more like an elaborate video travelogue. There are literally 5-10 minute montages of images depicting the sites in Rome placed throughout the film. Every time someone steps outside they start up another slideshow of "Places to see in Rome." Hey, and as long as I'm complaining, I might as well mention that the title is even false because only 2 of the women actually drop a coin in the fountain. I swear the best part of this movie was just hearing Sinatra perform the theme song. This was nominated for Best Picture?? Ugh!
January 2, 2016
"Only a woman can sink that low...Why can't women play the game properly? Everyone knows that i love affairs only the man has the right to lie"
½ December 25, 2015
Fun and beautiful romantic comedy. Rome is amazing.
August 24, 2015
I guess in 1954 Rome was deserted! No crowds anywhere!
½ August 2, 2015
Ok this is like a chick flick in the 50s-of course I liked it. Some of the most beautiful cinematography I've ever seen of Italy. I loved all the women's hair, clothes, makeup, and apartments. So some of the acting is meh as well as the plot can be corny, but it is def an enjoyable Italy fantasy.
May 6, 2014
I'm sure that at some point this was considered to be wildly exotic and romantic but it is tame and dated by today's standards.
½ May 3, 2014
Little more than an ad for the Italian tourist board but still nice to look at.
September 29, 2013
This is a classic romance film. Girl and boy meet via deception, but then the deception succumbs to true love. Story line aside, this move is nice to look at. It received the Academy Award for best cinematography, although when you get to use Rome as your backdrop, that's almost like cheating. The unrealistic aspects is how void of people all the major sites are. I doubt they were any less crowded back when this film was made as it is now.The movie opens with the award winning song "Three Coins in the Fountain" sung by Sinatra. I'm not sure I agree with the nomination for best film--not that it's bad, I just didn't think it was spectacular. If you like classic romances, this is a good one for you.
April 9, 2013
Has anyone seen this movie???
½ March 13, 2013
Beautiful scenery is the star of this nice film. Very enjoyable and if not a bit predictable.
½ February 21, 2013
Three coins, pennies assumedly, were likely used to fund the script and cast members of this enormously dull soaper. A young secretary (Maggie McNamara) heads to Rome, Italy to replace another secretary (Jean Peters) who allegedly is going back to the United States to get married. She meets a man (Rossano Brazzi) that screws everything up. Then there's Dorothy McGuire, Clifton Webb and Louis Jordon that are all part of the forgettable supporting mix. There is no chemistry among the cast members, nor any passion or soul to contribute to the film. Nothing is going on here. I have still have yet to see a good movie with McGuire as she has now entered my least preferred actress books. This film is a prime example of highway robbery, as it was nominated for three Academy Awards including Best Picture (!) of 1954 and was a box office success. People back then deserve better entertainment than this.

It's portrayal of Italy is so Hollywoodized. "La Strada," an ITALIAN movie directed by Federico Felini, was released that same year and portrays Italy in a much more natural, more beautiful way than this limpness. "La Strada" is also a great movie in terms of acting and entertainment, one of the best of 1954. This isn't and look at all the nominations it received! Interestingly, this film is part of a group mediocre releases from the 1950's that shares it name with a classic or great song (the other embarrassments are "Love Is a Many Splendored Things" from 1955 and "A Summer Place" from 1959). The one redeeming feature is Frank Sinatra's take on the title tune. Just depressing this movie is and it ranks among the Best Picture nominees "embarrassment" list.
February 16, 2013
This very Hollywood, not entirely sensical love Triangle set in the city of love Rome.

Full of cutesy scenes & gorgeous scenery & ultimately is a satisfying Romantic Comedy.

It's amazing how many elements of Rom Com's are still intact today & something's never change. It's a predictable film but lets be honest that's what we love about them.
February 10, 2013
I watched this movie because we toured Rome last year. It was nice to relive our holiday through the scenery - even though we were there sixty years later.
The movie was nothing special - something about three girls finding husbands.
February 6, 2013
Three Coins in the Fountain offers the splendors of Rome in Technicolor, CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sounds
October 30, 2012
There are a couple good winks to the Hayes Code and it's a fine example of a film of its era that actually centres around three female leads with the males merely providing support. However, while the ending is a convenient and picturesque way to wrap up the story, with the exception of one of the couples, it is unsatisfying and rings pretty hollow. I suppose it is no more than should be expected of films in this genre.
jjnxn
October 17, 2012
Dated hogwash but viewed in the right frame of mind enjoyable with gorgeous views of Rome and the Italian countryside.
½ July 14, 2012
This is a great classic movie. I could watch it over and over.
½ June 11, 2012
in Italy - cute movie
½ May 10, 2012
- The opening/theme song is sung by Frank Sinatra. While he is singing, it shows off some of the beauties of Rome. I thoroughly enjoyed the opening.

- Georgio and Prince Dino were very dashing and charming. I liked them both, but I felt bad for them. They both got the shaft!

- Half the movie is sad, and the other half is happy. I was glad the ending was a happy one. I was scared for a little bit it wasn't going to be a good ending.

- Prince Dino went to pick up Maria, and he honked the horn for her!! I can't stand it when people do that, especially if you are picking a girl up for a date!

- I can't decide if I like it or not. I had to watch it twice, and I'm still undecided. I like a lot of things about it, but other things bug me a little. I might need another female's perspective. Any of you want to watch it with me? Overall I don't think it was amazing, but I think I could learn to really like it. Right now, I'm sitting at "it was good, but I didn't like _________."

- If you love romance and chick flicks, you'd love this movie! I can think of a few of friends who would probably adore this one.
September 15, 2011
Nice looking romance movie. It is slow in developing, but it has some beautiful scenery and the actors all do their jobs well.