Three Days of the Condor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three Days of the Condor Reviews

April 16, 2018
What does not age well: the music, the unnecessary love scene, the fight choreography. What does age well: everything else.

Oh, the Cold War. There's an irony in the statement one character makes when he says that he misses the "clarity" that the World Wars brought, versus the ambiguity of the Cold War. I remember hearing someone wax nostalgic about the Cold War vs the War on Terror using similar phrasing. There's a level of cinematic charm one experiences when revisiting a spy thriller in the days when espionage was a culture in and of itself. Redford plays a man just a little too cool for all that he goes through. Dunaway is meant to play extremes of shock and calm. Max Von Sydow is compelling as a perfectly amoral contract killer. And Cliff Robertson's calming and grounded presence helps sell the movie as an intelligent and noteworthy one.
March 12, 2018
just re-watched this after all these years and it's still great. the only drawback was that the technology displayed is so outdated its almost comical. but I loved the setting of new York in the 70's and Redford is super hot. the plot was suspenseful and taunt. great film!
½ February 19, 2018
Redford competently portrays a CIA researcher on the run --- from the CIA, even if he's a touch too jock to play a nerd. Dunaway is unusually restrained and thereby good as a casual interested bystander. And Von Sydow is (always good) a workman assassin. The plot doesn't bear close observation but it is hardly the point either. Paranoia is, and that aspect director Pollock maintains. So-so.
February 6, 2018
Exceptional 70's suspense thriller about a bookish CIA operative working at a secluded office desk job whose life gets turned upside down while out picking up lunch for his colleagues. Robert Redford is magnificent as the intellectual analyst thrust into the field, out of his comfort zone, where his expertise and skill set are firmly put to the test. Faye Dunaway shines as his captive / accomplice. Was there ever a more attractive on - screen couple in so much danger? Max von Sydow delivers one of my all - time favourite supporting roles as an Austrian specialist with conflicting ethics, hired to do dirty work for spy agencies.

Arguably, one of the finest examples of the government paranoia films that emerged in the late 1970's post Watergate. A stellar script with more than capable directing from Sydney Pollack will have you on the edge of your seat right up till the end.
February 3, 2018
Classic 1970s espionage thriller that starts out surprisingly light-hearted until the shit hits the fan. From there on out it's still interesting enough to see things unfold, but there aren't a lot of particularly exciting encounters or scenes. Certainly a decent effort for its time, but to be honest, we've had much better since.
January 28, 2018
Robert Redford: Action Hero. There's a small piece of information about Redford's Joe Turner; he reads comic strips. He's a geek CIA book reader. Who. Reads. Every. Thing. This is the original Bourne / Bruce Willis / Arnold Schwarzenegger / Jean Claude Van Damme / Vin Deisel / The Rock thriller. So '70's. The soundtrack. The clothes. Still pretty cool.
December 28, 2017
Slow moving spy movie with Redford trying to figure out why all of his co-workers were murdered. I've always liked it. But the technology is extremely dated by today's standards. So be prepared for that if you've never seen it.
December 6, 2017
70's spy thriller starring the great Robert Redford. Not gonna lie, I did snooze a bit here and there. The action is minimal, mostly talk in this so that's my reason for that. It's decent from the parts I was awake to see, but I wanted more action and perhaps a car chase. Ah well.
October 23, 2017
I have a fondness for stories like Three Days of the Condor, where it focuses on a man on the run. Robert Redford is a great lead for the story, because I believe him as a simple analyst, but also as someone who could outsmart people when backed into a corner. The fact that they made part of his job reading a lot of books, so he picks up a lot of stuff from spy novels, was a nice little touch. There were a number of great intense scenes where my heart was racing, and I thought the intrigue behind the scenes at the CIA was also exciting. Max von Sydow is always great, and he adds an extra intimidation factor when he shows up as an assassin. I?m not sure the romance stuff with Faye Dunaway fit all that well in the story, but it added some stakes to a couple scenes so I was willing to accept it. The end of the film is perhaps one of the more unique ways I?ve seen one of these movies conclude. At first I thought it was a tad underwhelming and anticlimactic, but they put a spin on it that I didn?t see coming. Somehow this simple action thriller managed to get me thinking at the end, because of how it resolved things for the protagonist. Three Days of the Condor was a big hit for me, and it is the style of movie that I can see myself revisiting multiple times. I would definitely recommend this one to others.
½ July 7, 2017
A dude in the CIA is actually not the typical CIA-guy. He reads books and does not do that other stuff. He gets all of his co-workers killed while he is out his office for a little while and it seems like the guys that did it is not letting him live much longer than his friends. He is in it all by himself, trying to find out who did it so he can get out of the heat before it's too late. Who are friends, and who are foes? Which friends has turned their backs on him?

A great mysterious thriller with great acting and some supercool music. It got that great 70's vibe and it's both exciting and smart. It also stands the test of time quite well even if the phonetapping-stuff is very old-school. It's actually pretty charming to see all the work that's put into it. A tense spy-thriller, better than most of the newer films with similiar themes. This was believeable and entertaining, and that's all I can ask for.

7 out of 10 delivery guys.
½ February 18, 2017
A thriller, I love it...
December 22, 2016
The energy of this mostly excellent espionage flick ebbs and flows in a way that keeps it from being a masterpiece but you gotta love a film that is 40 years old seemingly predicting world events of the past 10 years or so. Spooky stuff.

'Three Days of the Condor' is shot beautifully with plenty of delicious little twists but poor Faye Dunaway is absolutely wasted in a thankless role that was clearly just beefed up (if you can call it that) for the sake of having a female lead.
December 17, 2016
Not your typical Christmas movie.
August 1, 2016
A true American political thriller. The suspense keeps us gripping out seats, even though it tended to lose me every now and then, and the performances are absolutely spot on.
½ June 16, 2016
Movies this genuinely fun haven't been made since the 70s (except maybe the Coens' movies). Every action thriller from the 80s onwards got too polished and grand, loses touch with the characters. Holds up. Faye Dunaway is stunning and alarmingly hypnotizing.
June 13, 2016
CIA agent goes to lunch only to return and find his coworkers murdered. He then flees police and uses his skills to solve the conspiracy. Excellent thriller that is Pollacks best mainstream movie until 1993s The Firm.
May 30, 2016
One of those movies that becomes less interesting the more you understand about the plot, but it gets around that by having that cool, beguiling encounter between Von Sydow and Redford at the end. It's a pretty fun movie overall, especially in the ridiculously entertaining first act, even if the romantic relationship should have been removed entirely (that sex scene is just awful) and the music sometimes makes it seem like a parody.
May 1, 2016
Best film I've seen in years.
½ April 27, 2016
"Three Days of The Condor" in 3 words: action-packed, thrilling and exciting! Admittedly, it doesn't strike much of a blow for 1970s feminism (cuz what woman wouldn't immediately jump into bed with a handsome man after a home invasion at gun-point and being chained to a toilet all day?! That's hot!), but if you get past the very dated sexism, politics and technology, it's quite an entertaining film.