Three Dollars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three Dollars Reviews

July 23, 2011
i quite enjoyed this movie. it had a nice message.
July 2, 2011
Much as I like David Wenham, I found this flick pretty boring.
June 26, 2011
A charming film with a heavy story about a man trying to do good in a not so good time.
January 1, 2010
Started off okay, but got too bleak too quickly. I mean, for goodness sake, why didn't he just go and claim social security since both he and his wife were unemployed?! The gang beatings bit was pretty grim too. Unfortunately it was not unbelievable as there are plenty of people like that here, (sadly), but it was a little in your face for the type of movie that this was aiming to be. I also thought the Amanda storyline was going to go somewhere, but that just fizzled. By all means not a bad movie, but it just couldn't seem to decide what it was going for.
½ June 15, 2009
good aussie film, quite mysterious at times, moves along very much like life.
½ March 30, 2009
Theres an interesting story in here somewhere, but its covered up by the confusing three dollar subplot. It just doesn't tie into the movie, which ends of abruptly after wafting around after half an hour. David Wenham's character could be the source of a good inspiration, if you look deep enough.
January 12, 2009
Well acted but just all a bit of weirdness and nothingness that I ultimately found to be more annoying than rewarding viewing.
And the $3 sub-plot/meaning is lame.
December 20, 2008
This is, so far, my favourite Australian movie. And my favourite movie from this decade. I think it's kind of a remake of "It's A Wonderful Life" and while some bemoan the way David Wenham's character becomes down-and-out so quickly, hey, it's more realistic than what happens to George Bailey! Combines the best of Alfred Hitchcock, Frank Capra and Ingmar Bergman.
September 10, 2008
Wenham is great. Wynter is ok, and Hunt-Prokhovnik is painful.
½ September 9, 2008
David Wenham is absolutely brilliant as Eddie, he plays these quirky characters insuch a way that totally brings them to life. I was a little sad when this movie finished as I felt that there was much more to see & that is after nearly two hours. Eddie's life is falling to shit but that does not stop Eddie.
September 8, 2008
Watched this on SBS last night and enjoyed it but didn't really get the end as it just sort of stopped. Maybe it's me missing some cryptic message...I am happy to be enlightened.
½ August 19, 2008
ENGLISH: Dull and depressing, this movie deals shallowly and uninventively with important themes such as personal integrity. Among the various irritating aspects, Ian Curtis is mentioned a number of times and 2 Joy Division's songs are in the soundtrack: this movie definitely does not deserve such poetic and musical references.

ITALIANO: Noioso e deprimente, il film tratta in modo superficiale e privo di inventiva tematiche importanti come l'integrita' personale. Fra i vari aspetti irritanti, viene citato diverse volte Ian Curtis e la colonna sonora include 2 brani dei Joy Division: questo film non merita assolutamente tali riferimenti poetici e musicali.
August 17, 2008
What is the meaning of the last scene, two dogs on the TV?
½ August 2, 2008
An interesting film with a kinda creepy affiliation with $3. But yes, a good AUSSIE film. (:
June 19, 2008
For questioning the ethics of his employer, a man finds himself isolated from his company and colleagues alike. When you are young you are told to tell the truth, when you are grown up you realize adults don't like to hear it. This film depicts the courage of one man, and the cowardice of many.
½ June 1, 2008
Wife and son had both just read the book and dragged me in to watching the video. I thought "yet another dull Australian movie basking in the glory of former years". I was wrong. I was so wrong. This is a great movie, with one of Australia's best, David Wenham, playing an utterly believable role in what is a rather humble story. My heart went out to his character. In fact this film is almost like a fable, where the small acts of kindness you show to random strangers are sometimes "entertaiing angels". Don't want to give the plot away - but this is a must see.
March 9, 2008
This is definitely one of the better Aussie films. David Wenham is engaging in this role. Such a heartfelt film of a very real and common scenario.
½ January 1, 2008
Fantastic Aussie film. It gets better each time I watch it. I can relate to so much in this movie and love David Wenham's character - there but for the grace of God goes I.
December 11, 2007
A great Aussie movie.
October 6, 2007
Francis O'Connor was the B-list actress as usual but Dabvid Wenham was gooood.