Three Fugitives - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three Fugitives Reviews

March 23, 2016
Three Fugitives is a funny film with funny moments starring Nick Nolte and Martin Short.
August 6, 2015
Oh 1989. Nick Nolte is all his gruff glory. Martin Short hilarious as always. And this screwball comedy that gave Cameron Frye more work after "Ferris." Found it on Netflix and felt it was worth another watch after all these years. Still got some good laughs and it reminds me of simpler times.
June 28, 2015
A surprisingly sweet movie with a lot of heart and some good laughs.
May 13, 2015
71% on my Tomatometer.
April 18, 2015
The scripts a zero but she's their hero.
April 5, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....
½ March 8, 2015
Very clever funny comedy about a bank robber released from prison and ends up being a hostage in another robbery its a under rated classic that should have deserved more praise, a must watch.
October 27, 2014
It's not unusual for good movies to take the viewer on a roller coaster ride of emotion. "Three Fugitives" is by no means a good movie, but thematically, it's all over the map and tries for laughs and pathos, sometimes at the same time.

It's an uneasy mix and the end result is that neither the drama or comedy work well enough to cover up the nauseous feeling in the pit of your stomach that comes from the jolting shifts in tone. Take, for instance, the scene in which Martin Short watches his daughter in the orphanage through the fence once she is taken from him. It's meant to tug at the heartstrings, until the sprinkler water hits him square in the face. It's jarring and completely unnecessary, but it does sum up the basic problem of the film.

Unusual casting match-ups were a sign of the times in the 1980's, and teaming Short up with a gruffer-than-normal Nick Nolte must have sounded golden on paper. It comes across as less successful on the screen. The film also suffers from a severe logic deficiency. While I know this is essentially a comedy, the cops in the picture are unbelievably stupid, even more inept at their job than Short is at robbing banks. It's insulting after a while, as is the terrible score by David McHugh. The musical score is not something I normally notice in a film, unless it's this bad.

"Three Fugitives" is a mess of a movie with a good heart. It's just misplaced most of the time, and the audience suffers the consequences.
½ October 9, 2014
This is like a TV comedy starring what, at the time, were big stars. I know this is a shot-for-shot remake of a Francis Veber's film, and they even hired the guy to do direct the remake. Lord knows why you'd bother with a shot-for-shot remake when you can just watch the original, or dub it and release it as is. It really seems like a waste of millions of dollars. I literally had no idea that this was French film until reading the description on here, so it's obvious that I literally have no idea if the original film is any good or not, though it almost has to have been better than this. Maybe not by much, but still somewhat better. But, to be honest, this film doesn't do much to really inspire you to seek out the original. Then again I suppose the Oldboy remake would fail to do the same exact thing and the original is my favorite movie of all time. So it's not fair, and I don't plan on doing it, to judge the original by its remake. While the film has its moments, mostly involving Martin Short being smacked around by almost everyone in sight. I don't know what that says about my feelings for Martin Short, even though I actually like the guy. His style is a little manic and energetic, to the point of wearing you down completely, but I've always found him to have a likable presence. The problem is that this is an incredibly uneven comedy. They don't naturally combine the dramatic aspects in with the comedy, as Little Miss Sunshine did. It goes between two phases, the first one being: 'now it's a comedy', the second one being: 'now it's a drama'. I wouldn't say it's jarring, but it's not handled particularly well. It changes between them willy-nilly with no natural progression. And that's a problem because it feels like it's two different films in one, tonally at least. It would be one thing if either the comedy, or the drama, were good...but they're not. Like I said, it has its moments but they're not nearly enough to salvage this film. Nick Nolte and Martin Short are fairly agreeable in their roles, but it's clear that this wasn't something that either guy was really invested in. It may have just been a paycheck movie for both of them. It's just weird seeing Nolte as the straightman in a light family comedy. When he does comedy, I put him more in that R-rated '48 Hours' range, not this. Kinda perplexing why he'd do this film to be honest, it can't have done his career, or Martin Short's, any favors. If you like lightweight TV films, then this will be up your alley. This isn't a terrible film, but it's incredibly bland and vanilla. For everyone else, I'm sure there's another film in Martin Short's filmography with the word Three in its title that is better than this one. I'd suggest watching that instead.
September 19, 2014
This film is funny and underrated severely. Martin Short is hilarious in his role as the robber of the bank and Nick Nolte was hilarious in his own right. Kenneth McMillan added another brand of humor as the senile vet who couldn't tell the difference between a human being and a dog. Just an all-around great comedy.
½ August 19, 2014
Much like Nolte's Down and Out in Bev Hills, this comedy has the laughs. The movie goes for cheap laughs, but they cash in big time. Short is hilarious and shows once again why he's so talented.
½ July 29, 2014
(First and only viewing - 11/23/2010)
½ December 29, 2013
Really good, Very funny.
December 25, 2013
odlicna komedija. moze da se gleda nekolku pati i sekogas e interesno...
November 11, 2013
somewhat of a thrilling ride till the plot starts to go nowhere great actors the plot just needed more to it the ending was kinda weak
August 12, 2013
Coming soon to my movie collection...
½ August 10, 2013
The 1980's was a great time for movies that the entire family could enjoy together and this was one of my favorites as a kid. It's not quite as hilarious as I remembered, but I still had a smile on my face the entire movie. Martin Short is a comedy genius and the last 15 minutes are laugh-out-loud funny thanks to a certain curly wig.
April 8, 2013
The Three Fugitives is a fun little movie that won't bore you, is worth watching if you see it on TV. I wouldn't bother going out of you way to view it though.
½ April 8, 2013
Should of been funnier (short) and more swearing (Notle).
March 9, 2013