Three Kings - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three Kings Reviews

February 13, 2016
I honestly loved it, if u love war movies with action and a great story this is for you. this is not one of those boring drama war films with little to no action. The plot of the story is really believable and Doesn't glorify war making the Americans invincible unlike most war movies.
February 10, 2016
David O' Russell's Three Kings is a fantastic movie that was probably what people didn't expect it to be. It does seem like David O' Russell focuses on the characters a lot which I'm perfectly fine with as they are memorable. That's not the only aspect that he focused on as he focus on the humor which is really funny, and the plot which is really good and a bit unexpected s this takes place after the Gulf War when some of the characters basically have nothing else better to do. The action is really good and exciting that's like Anthony and Joe Russo when they did Captain America: The Winter Soldier, it's unexpected to see a comedy director that direct action scenes, especially if they are done well. The writing is really good, and the acting from Mark Wahlberg, Ice Cube, George Clooney, and Spike Jonze are really great. My mom would probably think that Three Kings is an all right film as it's really weird like David O' Russell's other films, which I also think that it's weird, but it's a "weird masterpiece" as the late Roger Ebert quoted this film.
February 7, 2016
didn't really care much about this war movie very much
½ January 30, 2016
The last movie Russell made that could really excite. One of the best modern war films.
½ January 21, 2016
A "military" satire movie is what it is on the surface. Yet if you scrape through just a layer you'll be able to see that it's a well thought through film touching on U.S foreign policy and military.
January 17, 2016
It's odd, when I hear people talk about war films it's always, Full Metal Jacket, Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, Jarhead, etc. I've never heard anyone talk about this film so I assumed that it wasn't much good.

Three kings is a story about soldiers who served in the Gulf War which has now finished and they are handed the chance to find a stash of gold bullion stolen by Saddam Husseins' regime. However, complications arise and they find themselves on a rescue mission with no support. A solid war film with strong performances providing a compelling story.
January 6, 2016
I really liked this heist/caper movie with some good action thrown in.
½ December 31, 2015
Brilliant storytelling with a cast entirely in sync with one another. A very satisfying drama, indeed.
½ December 22, 2015
Expected a serious war movie. What a treat it was XD
7.5/10
December 13, 2015
There's too much going on in Three Kings and there's some unnecessary silliness, but there's much more depth and thought put into it than your average war blockbuster and the actor's are game.
December 13, 2015
Quite a good post-war film although I'm not sure that it shows the soldiers in such a good light, especially as we are given a "what they are doing now" section at the end, suggesting that this was a true story. Entertaining film though.
November 2, 2015
The troops are celebrating the end of the Gulf War, but three of them want more. The Three "Kings" decide to go after Saddam Hussein's gold. Along the way they realize the Iraqi citizens are not receiving the American support they were promised for standing up against Saddam.

The Three Kings are Marky Mark, George Clooney, and Ice Cube. They are a bit clueless and erratic. It feels LULzy yet is still entertaining. The acting wasn't that great, and it wasn't very realistic either. It wasn't extremely awful, but I wouldn't watch it again for awhile.
October 31, 2015
Really, pretty meh. Weird shooting style, story is a bit much at times... Watchable but nothing to rave about
October 12, 2015
This film is as great as one can be without being amazing.
September 25, 2015
Is it a drama/comedy/war film? Bit of everything really!
½ September 1, 2015
"What is the problem with Michael Jackson?"

'Three Kings' isn't David O. Russell's best film (albeit it's close) but it certainly is his most underrated film in my opinion and that irks me for a few reasons.

For one, the film features one of the funniest and perfectly satirical scripts of all time. Probably the only film I've seen about the Gulf War where shit actually goes down quite a few times, which is hilarious in its own right, considering that not a whole lot of action happened.

For two, the acting is fucking brilliant and Spike Jonze plays one of the wildest and most zany characters in any film. Goddamn, Clooney is the fucking man. And holy shit, Jamie Kennedy is one dumb motherfucker in this movie but it's a hilarious process to see unfold as the film goes on.

For three, Newton Thomas Sigel is one of my favorite cinematographers working today. Every single shot in this movie is something of pure wonder. I particularly love Newton's hyper speed shots and electric camera motion, it perfectly captures the energy of this film. The editing also compliments the flick.

For four, Carter Burwell has crafted one of the best 90's movie soundtracks for sure. It's such an alluring and marvelously diverse music selection which adds to the mood and spirit of TK. Also, S/O to Carter for including 'If You Leave Me Now' by Chicago in it. Absolutely brilliant.

The only real problem I have with the movie is that I feel around the halfway point, the film drags a bit when the action dies down. The pacing isn't perfect and thankfully, it's saved when the last quarter of the film picks it all back up again.

Overall, I highly recommend Three Kings to anyone who loves a biting satire and some good action to go along with it.
August 11, 2015
The cinema by Newton Thomas Sigel is perhaps the most interesting quality; it blends nice desert scenery with unconventional angles and quasi-surrealism. But there's still the issue of credibility. When the conflict in the Persian Gulf is symbolized by Ice Cube throwing a bomb-fitted Nerf football at a helicopter, that's where I stop believing. It's not a bad film from a technical standpoint. I guess I just don't approve of the concept.
½ August 8, 2015
Not up to the level of David O. Russell's later work, but it does have its moments.
July 10, 2015
It's a propaganda movie. Pretty weak to add to that.