Three Kings - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three Kings Reviews

January 6, 2016
I really liked this heist/caper movie with some good action thrown in.
½ December 31, 2015
Brilliant storytelling with a cast entirely in sync with one another. A very satisfying drama, indeed.
½ December 22, 2015
Expected a serious war movie. What a treat it was XD
December 13, 2015
There's too much going on in Three Kings and there's some unnecessary silliness, but there's much more depth and thought put into it than your average war blockbuster and the actor's are game.
December 13, 2015
Quite a good post-war film although I'm not sure that it shows the soldiers in such a good light, especially as we are given a "what they are doing now" section at the end, suggesting that this was a true story. Entertaining film though.
November 2, 2015
The troops are celebrating the end of the Gulf War, but three of them want more. The Three "Kings" decide to go after Saddam Hussein's gold. Along the way they realize the Iraqi citizens are not receiving the American support they were promised for standing up against Saddam.

The Three Kings are Marky Mark, George Clooney, and Ice Cube. They are a bit clueless and erratic. It feels LULzy yet is still entertaining. The acting wasn't that great, and it wasn't very realistic either. It wasn't extremely awful, but I wouldn't watch it again for awhile.
October 31, 2015
Really, pretty meh. Weird shooting style, story is a bit much at times... Watchable but nothing to rave about
October 12, 2015
This film is as great as one can be without being amazing.
September 25, 2015
Is it a drama/comedy/war film? Bit of everything really!
½ September 1, 2015
"What is the problem with Michael Jackson?"

'Three Kings' isn't David O. Russell's best film (albeit it's close) but it certainly is his most underrated film in my opinion and that irks me for a few reasons.

For one, the film features one of the funniest and perfectly satirical scripts of all time. Probably the only film I've seen about the Gulf War where shit actually goes down quite a few times, which is hilarious in its own right, considering that not a whole lot of action happened.

For two, the acting is fucking brilliant and Spike Jonze plays one of the wildest and most zany characters in any film. Goddamn, Clooney is the fucking man. And holy shit, Jamie Kennedy is one dumb motherfucker in this movie but it's a hilarious process to see unfold as the film goes on.

For three, Newton Thomas Sigel is one of my favorite cinematographers working today. Every single shot in this movie is something of pure wonder. I particularly love Newton's hyper speed shots and electric camera motion, it perfectly captures the energy of this film. The editing also compliments the flick.

For four, Carter Burwell has crafted one of the best 90's movie soundtracks for sure. It's such an alluring and marvelously diverse music selection which adds to the mood and spirit of TK. Also, S/O to Carter for including 'If You Leave Me Now' by Chicago in it. Absolutely brilliant.

The only real problem I have with the movie is that I feel around the halfway point, the film drags a bit when the action dies down. The pacing isn't perfect and thankfully, it's saved when the last quarter of the film picks it all back up again.

Overall, I highly recommend Three Kings to anyone who loves a biting satire and some good action to go along with it.
August 11, 2015
The cinema by Newton Thomas Sigel is perhaps the most interesting quality; it blends nice desert scenery with unconventional angles and quasi-surrealism. But there's still the issue of credibility. When the conflict in the Persian Gulf is symbolized by Ice Cube throwing a bomb-fitted Nerf football at a helicopter, that's where I stop believing. It's not a bad film from a technical standpoint. I guess I just don't approve of the concept.
½ August 8, 2015
Not up to the level of David O. Russell's later work, but it does have its moments.
July 10, 2015
It's a propaganda movie. Pretty weak to add to that.
June 30, 2015
It was a fun watch, was different seeing a comedic war film. Can't say I've seen a lot of those. It eventually turns into a great, heart felt ending.
½ June 29, 2015
Three Kings is a really cool, fun movie. A screwball war movie.. probably the only of it's kind. It follows the three U.S marines, from AWOL to altruism. In the end, it preaches the concept that helping innocent people escape tyranny is what fighting wars should really be about. Interestingly, it criticizes George Bush for pulling out of Iraq too quickly, and not saving the Iraqi's by just getting Saddam right then and there. Pre-9/11 times seemed more open to fighting in Iraq.. but then three years later, we went in to finish up the job, and nobody was on board with it. Think of it as you will, it's a political movie after all. It's critique on American foreign policy remains relevant today, perhaps even more than ever. Other than the politics, David O. Russell made a pretty exceptional first film.. despite raising hell through his fascist methods as a director. The entire film is engaging, wild and free. Almost reminiscent of a young Oliver Stone. The cast is solid. Mark Wahlberg, from his Dirk Diggler days, steals the show in every scene. Overall, it's a great watch.
½ June 28, 2015
Who Woulda Thought The Calamity & Chaos Of War (Iraq Pt-1) Could Have A Wildly Entertaining Streak? It Has Good Intentions, Deep Political Satire, Although There Is A Bit In It That Was TOOOO GRAPHIC For Me..Yuck!! Striaght Into The Guts. Ugh.. Ease Up On The Detail Next Time Maybe??
June 18, 2015
Three Kings is everything a good solid film needs, good comedy, good acting, good action, and good story that doesn't shy away from the dark tragedy of war on both sides.
June 18, 2015
Four American soldiers go searching for stolen Kuwaiti gold & find something much more valuable in this beautifully constructed anti-war film.
½ June 13, 2015
Absolutely love it. Used to watch it as much as possible. One of few Mark Wahlberg movies I have enjoyed.
June 9, 2015
In my humble opinion, David O Russell has yet to top this movie.