Three Lives and Only One Death - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three Lives and Only One Death Reviews

October 19, 2012
Another great director I missed at the time. Chilean expat Raul Ruiz' take on multiple personality disorder - incredibly playful, often surreal - as if Luis Bunuel and Chris Marker had decided to do a remake of The Three Faces of Eve. Who needs Hollywood?
September 19, 2012
Raoul Ruiz' Three Lives and Only One Death is a what the title suggest. In this case it's the schizophrenic man, played by Marcello Mastroianni. He's playing three different people, from a butler to a politician. We don't know whom of them he really is. He's a dangerous man, who makes it worse for the people around him. But one thing is for sure, is that it's all are about to collapse, because of all his personalities.

This might sound like a great premise for a story, and it is. I liked how it all in the begining feels like three different short films with Mastroianni playing different roles, but it rounds up with some of the stories merged with each other and we understand it's one person. I liked the story concept, some of them I liked more than the other, some of them I can't stand, specially when all kinds of genre is blended, but one can argue that because it's many different stories of different genres that it's gonna be a mess in the end anyway. But for my taste, it kind of destroys itself when they decides to have a fantasy story in the beginning.

When it comes to the characters, they are basically just marionettes for Mastroianni's crazy actions, and seems to be helpless from all of his pranks and charades. It's basically him who controls the story. The other characters hasn't any control of their own actions, which I'm not sure if I like or not. But I certainly loved Marcello Mastroianni's performance which was one of his last before he died the same year. And he tops it all with a quarter dozen splendid roles. And it's thanks to him that I give this movie a marginal thumbs up.
July 12, 2012
Marcello Mastroianni, best known for starring in Fellini's definitive surrealist masterworks, gives an endlessly amusing and beguiling swan song in "Three Lives and Only One Death", one of his final screen performances before his death in 1996. The film, written and directed by Raoul Ruiz, while not quite comparable to those Fellini classics (but what is?) is none to short on postsurrealism itself, inventively telling four separate (yet sneakily similar) Paris-set stories - all featuring Mastroianni - with wit and an eye unique imagery.
June 14, 2011
An entertaining tale for much of its run time, as Mastorianni enjoys his multiple roles and the stories progress. However, the bow that ties all the stories together makes a good bit of what passed before a lot less intriguing than on first glance.
August 17, 2009
It's not as stylistically baroque or metaphysically obscure as Ruiz's best films, but this is nonetheless an entertaining and often perplexing film. Like a lot of Ruiz films, it has something to do with storytelling and the leaps in temporal and spatial logic that are required for any story-- and any character's identity within a story-- to become coherent. In negative terms, it is about revealing those leaps in logic that we take for granted. Thus, here multiple identities converge into singular bodies and the need for story resolution is enjoyably mocked with a completely nonsensical ending.
September 17, 2007
el abuelo marcelo con el tio alcahuete raul
July 7, 2007
Strange and Disturbing to the extreme, also confusing at times but sometimes easy to follow, not for someone who wan't a light movie, Mastriani is amazing as always