Three O'Clock High - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three O'Clock High Reviews

April 28, 2013
Very good 80's teen movie!
½ March 21, 2013
Brilliant. Such great shots. Easily one of the most underrated movies of all time.
February 27, 2013
This is one of my favorite 80's movies. Funny, entertaining and wonderfully acted.
January 3, 2013
One of my favorite high school movies!
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
October 29, 2012
Saw this movie when I was younger, and now again....still as amazing as ever. This movie doesn't seem to get enough credit, and isn't as popular as a it should be. But this is one of my favorite films, and in my opinion, has a lot of re-watch value. Never gets old. Not only is this movie VERY funny, but it has a great build-up of suspense, and that makes this film stand out from your average teen comedy. Sure, there's not a lot of background for the character Buddy, a lot of us would like to know why he is the way he is, and we can imagine something tragic in his past happened that he became so. And I think that's what makes him a great character, the writers did good to keep him mysterious and hide his back story. This allows us to draw our own conclusions and imagine our own back story for the character. As for the others, Jerry Mitchell's character development was well thought out and spot on, as he tries to do everything he can to avoid a fight with Buddy, but in the end, learns to stand his ground, and fight for himself. The other high school students and characters were all pretty good, you've got your nerd friend, a younger sister, a very strange girl thats into Jerry, another girl Jerry is more interested in, and they are all very well put together in the sequence of the story. Quite a bit going on in this movie, it never slows down, and it does great at keeping you into it. This isn't just pure comedy. It's suspense rolled into it, and quite well I might add. Constant humor throughout, but it doesn't allow us to forget that "Oh crap, Jerry still has to fight this guy." In my opinion, this is one of the best flicks of the 80s.
½ October 27, 2012
Would be a classic if it had John Hughes' name attached to it. As it is, one of the best largely forgotten 80's films.
September 30, 2012
Casey Sziamesko is perfectly cast in this charming high school comedy.
½ September 2, 2012
Quite possibly the best of the "teen films" of the 80's including the John Hughes ones.
That's right I said it.
It's also in style and wit the precursor to one of the best 90's TV shows, Parker Lewis Can't Lose.
August 21, 2012
One of those movies that seems to be over before you even know what happened. An absolutely fun 100 minutes of 80's nostalgia.
June 16, 2012
Don't touch Buddy! The fight is great at 3...Jerry defeats Buddy with his own weapon.
June 15, 2012
One of the best 80's teen movies! Very similar feeling to that of Ferris Bueler's Day Off and Better off Dead. Love this movie!
½ June 14, 2012
cool move enjoyed it
June 9, 2012
good but kinda slow at first
April 22, 2012
Yet another great 80s flick
½ April 14, 2012
Possibly the most underrated movie of all time. Spielberg demanded his name be taken off the credits. Buddy Revell was a piece of work. One of the most terrifying villains I've ever seen. The creation of suspense was brilliant. And Richard Tyson's scary but tortured performance stole the show. Great writing. Great direction. I recommend it.
February 15, 2012
If John Hughes had directed this film, it would be almost the same. There's a lot of visual fun in "3:00 high" along with some rather funny quotes and a decent story weaving it all together. In the end, it teaches us something very important. You've got to make your stand and try. =) Tyson, in one of his first screen appearances, nails the typical high school bully to the letter.
½ December 18, 2011
It's pretty generic, but it was still entertaining and has some pretty hilarious parts, like when he pretty much seduces the teacher. I didnt expect that at all. Tyson was a great choice as the bully.
November 29, 2011
"Three O'Clock High" is a clever albeit slight teem version of the classic western, but it almost has as much working against it as it does working for it. It's a great example of a talented director showing a lot of promise with his debut feature, but it would take a second picture for him to find his groove.
Phil Joanau has some good moments here, and his artistry behind the camera helps elevate this simple plot. Without him and this would have been even more bland. I liked some of the supporting actors in the cast, most notably Stacey Glick who is very funny and likable as our hero's little sister. The problem is that the two young leads are bland and forgettable, especially newcomer Casey Siemaszko. He's someone that we're supposed to identify with and root for, but he doesn't have much of a personality. It's hard to get behind him, but he fares better than his co-star Richard Tyson who I guess does what he can with the weak material he's given to deal with. But the role is so underwritten that you wonder why the screenwriters bothered giving his character a name. They could have just called him "The Bully" because he's given no motivation and only the sketchiest of backgrounds.
And the fight that closes the film is built up so much that almost anyway the filmmakers write it, it will not be able to live up to the hype. And such was the case. Still, I loved the film's visual style and face pace enough to give it a very mild recommendation. Watching "Three O'Clock High", you can almost see a better movie bubbling under the surface. It rarely breaks through to the top.
½ November 13, 2011
I hadn't seen this one in years, but it help up really well. The leads are good and the story moves along nicely. Was also cool seeing earlier roles for Jeffrey Tambor and Phillip Baker Hall. Check it out!