Three O'Clock High - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three O'Clock High Reviews

July 29, 2014
(First and only viewing - 12/23/2010)
TheDudeLebowski65
July 24, 2014
When you think of classic 80's teen films, The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Pretty in Pink and all other John Hughes films quickly come to mind. But like the horror genre, there has been other great films overshadowed by the more popular films. I think that this is the case with Three O'clock High. This is a superb Teen comedy that has had the misfortunate of being a forgotten gem of the genre. This is a well acted film, one that has impressive performances from its lead actors, and the film also some well written characters as well. Three O'clock High is a real treat, and everything about the film is very well done in such a way that it capture the feel of high school, along with its dilemmas. The film features an astounding soundtrack by Tangerine Dream, whose music greatly enhances some key scenes, which is only perfected by Cinematographer Barry Sonnenfeld. Sonnefeld's camerawork is terrific here, and the way that he has lensed the film adds something quite unique to the atmosphere of the film. Three O'clock High is a terrific picture, one that deserves to be rediscovered. I think it's a great shame that the film got overshadowed by other genre film, but hopefully you can rediscover this hidden gem. This is a very funny film, one that uses its cast quite well, and if you enjoy this genre, you're definitely going to love this film. With some wonderful performances by Casey Siemaszko and Richard Tyson, you have a highly entertaining comedy that is never boring, and even if it's not perfect, you can forget its flaws, and enjoy this film for what it is, a forgotten teen comedy that is well worth a second look. If you've enjoyed all of the films by John Hughes, but want a film of the same decade, that has effective comedy, teen angst and other issues, Three O'clock High is well worth seeing, and is is one of the best forgotten 80's comedies that I have seen.
July 4, 2014
High Noon set in a high school. This slipped passed me for some reason. Liked it. Quality ending.
April 22, 2014
To me, this movie is an all time classic. It's a High School Bully film taking place in the 1980s. A Goliath vs. David fight. Jerry, the nerdy kid in the movie, accidentally upsets a bully/criminal and does everything he can to avoid fighting him. The setups are perfect, and hilarious.
September 5, 2013
One of those movies you happen to catch on cable and love forever. So many little moments in the movie, I still remember. Maybe one of the greatest lines in 3 O'clock comes at the end, in the gym. It could be used in sports, work and in life. A true gem, and I own it.
½ August 8, 2013
I remember loving this movie at age 8.
July 4, 2013
Who would have thought the kid wearing the 3D glasses in Back to the Future, some virtually unknown director and Mitch Pileggi would make the best high school movie of the 80's. Look for Philip Baker Hall as the inspector.
April 28, 2013
Very good 80's teen movie!
½ March 21, 2013
Brilliant. Such great shots. Easily one of the most underrated movies of all time.
February 27, 2013
This is one of my favorite 80's movies. Funny, entertaining and wonderfully acted.
January 3, 2013
One of my favorite high school movies!
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
October 29, 2012
Saw this movie when I was younger, and now again....still as amazing as ever. This movie doesn't seem to get enough credit, and isn't as popular as a it should be. But this is one of my favorite films, and in my opinion, has a lot of re-watch value. Never gets old. Not only is this movie VERY funny, but it has a great build-up of suspense, and that makes this film stand out from your average teen comedy. Sure, there's not a lot of background for the character Buddy, a lot of us would like to know why he is the way he is, and we can imagine something tragic in his past happened that he became so. And I think that's what makes him a great character, the writers did good to keep him mysterious and hide his back story. This allows us to draw our own conclusions and imagine our own back story for the character. As for the others, Jerry Mitchell's character development was well thought out and spot on, as he tries to do everything he can to avoid a fight with Buddy, but in the end, learns to stand his ground, and fight for himself. The other high school students and characters were all pretty good, you've got your nerd friend, a younger sister, a very strange girl thats into Jerry, another girl Jerry is more interested in, and they are all very well put together in the sequence of the story. Quite a bit going on in this movie, it never slows down, and it does great at keeping you into it. This isn't just pure comedy. It's suspense rolled into it, and quite well I might add. Constant humor throughout, but it doesn't allow us to forget that "Oh crap, Jerry still has to fight this guy." In my opinion, this is one of the best flicks of the 80s.
½ October 27, 2012
Would be a classic if it had John Hughes' name attached to it. As it is, one of the best largely forgotten 80's films.
September 30, 2012
Casey Sziamesko is perfectly cast in this charming high school comedy.
½ September 2, 2012
Quite possibly the best of the "teen films" of the 80's including the John Hughes ones.
That's right I said it.
It's also in style and wit the precursor to one of the best 90's TV shows, Parker Lewis Can't Lose.
August 21, 2012
One of those movies that seems to be over before you even know what happened. An absolutely fun 100 minutes of 80's nostalgia.
June 16, 2012
Don't touch Buddy! The fight is great at 3...Jerry defeats Buddy with his own weapon.
June 15, 2012
One of the best 80's teen movies! Very similar feeling to that of Ferris Bueler's Day Off and Better off Dead. Love this movie!
½ June 14, 2012