Melancholian 3 huonetta (The 3 Rooms of Melancholia) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Melancholian 3 huonetta (The 3 Rooms of Melancholia) Reviews

½ February 11, 2009
Depressing and sad. Left me with a feeling of hopelessness, why are we doing this to each other, why don't we ever learn?? Top of a league in melancholy.
February 10, 2009
If one doesn't become distressed and sad while watching this then it does never happen. And that's the point. Through the really melancholic storytelling that has almost no commentary takes the watcher really deep into the feelings of the children whose life has been ruined by the war. Wtf is wrong with the people - mostly with (testosteronic) men - when this kind of tragedy has been, is, and will still be repeated countless times in so many places in this world. Do we ever learn or do we care at all? Really impressive and oppressive. Wouldn't like to know world is like that - but it is.
March 6, 2008
I think this movie is meant to be slow, meant to make one feel uncomfortable and see those things as completely unbearable.
February 17, 2008
woah, beautiful, seriously one of the best doco's i've seen...but be careful those who don't like slow things.
November 7, 2007
Finns know how to do documents! Hurray Honkasalo!
November 3, 2007
Nothing much watchable has come from Finland but this documentary links brilliantly the tree stories together and the themes are never too much exposed to the public.
½ October 22, 2007
A largely visual documentary about the Chechnyan conflict from a childrenâ??s perspective, both beautiful and disturbing without moralizing
½ October 11, 2007
It just makes a mockery of its subjects. Not even giving them any kind of voice.
October 10, 2007
One of the most haunting and mesmerizing documentaries I have ever seen. Told almost entirely without the use of dialogue or voiceover, this film truly captures the hope and despair that surround young children affected by war.
September 24, 2007
Well,yes, it's a bit slow, but this is characteristic of most Scandinavian movies (say, the great films by Bergman). But this documentary is excellent! The eyes of the little boy abused by soldiers... :( The film is worth watching at least because of this.
July 26, 2007
Hope that it is good
December 11, 2006
Interesting film, still didn't leave much of anything behind. Melancholy film, yes, but I might have expected something much more shocking. Or something.
November 28, 2006
½ August 7, 2005
"The Three Rooms of Melancholia" is a trio of short documentaries from Finland:

1) A military academy of boys who are around 10-12 years old in Kronstadt which is near St. Petersburg.

2) Black and white footage of the devastation of the Chechen capital, Grozny. We are introduced to a woman who rescues orphans.

3) In a nearby republic, these orphans are sheltered on a farm. In the distance, we can hear warlike sounds that are reminiscient of thunderstorms on a summer day.

This film starts off subtly while we are being introduced to boys at the Russian military academy. In fact, I'm not really sure why we're there until we are introduced to two boys whose lives have been affected by the war in Chechnya - one of Russian parentage who was found there and another whose mother is serving in the armed forces there. News footage is also shown of a terrorist attack(the footage is repeated in the third segment). It is only till later in the film, that the military academy seems very troubling indeed. The documentary draws a direct line from scenes shown in the first segment with boys being shown how to kill at the military academy to the devastataion of Grozny to the refugees who are struggling to find a new life.

"The Three Rooms of Melancholia" is a cinematic essay on the effects of war but it concerns itself mostly with those who may one day be fighting it themselves. I saw little difference in the boys in Russia and Chechnya but a great deal of difference in how they were raised.