The 3 Worlds of Gulliver - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The 3 Worlds of Gulliver Reviews

July 26, 2016
They may have The Avengers, Star Wars, iPads, iPhones, Apple Macs, PCs, tablets.... But those of us in the early 1960s had the 3 Worlds of Gulliver, Jason and the Argonuats, Mysterious Island, and all the other wonderful creations by Ray Harryhausen. Boy, did we have great excitement that kids today with everything at their finger tips, may not understand. Packed out Saturday matinees, cheering crowds of kids, just pure magic that will rarely come again. Superb fantasy score by Bernard Herrmann.
½ May 24, 2014
A great story and never done better.
July 29, 2013
I've never read the original Gulliver's Travels, but every adaptation seems to be different. In this one, Gulliver is an unhappy poor doctor who wishes to go sailing and seek a fortune. His girlfriend Elizabeth stows away and they end up lost at sea. Gulliver finds himself in the strange land of Lilliput, and then Brobdignab the land of the Giants. It has a few cool moments spread throughout, with a great musical score. Kerwin Matthews and June Thorburn have good chemistry, and its a fun and breezy adventure film with some solid visual effects.
May 30, 2013
Very very loose adaptation of the famous Gulliver's Travels children's stories by Johnathan Swift. When I say loose I mean real loose as this film covers the first voyage of Gulliver and then parts of the second. It then ignores the remaining adventures completely and goes off on its own tangent.

It seems pretty accurate for the most part of what its covering from the novel, of course a lot is missing and it seems much is added or altered. Not that it matters really as the stories are probably too much for one film and what we get is a delightful family film that can't fail to entertain. The whole atmosphere and style with along with quaint visuals remind me very much of 'Hans Christian Anderson' with Danny Kaye, bright, bold, colourful, very pleasing performances and a cheerful easy going approach.

Speaking of performances I was surprised I really was, there is quite a bit of nice humour in this and when I say humour I don't mean kiddie laughs, I mean adults will giggle too. Its not heavy satire or rude but just nice amusing dialog that kinda leans towards Mel Brooks type material in places, but very easy going. The famous sequence where 'Gulliver' is tied down and being overlooked by 'Lilliput' officials is a really good humoured sequence with some nice chucklesome lines and visuals. Some really amusing bickering between characters and all played out really well by the cast.

Also later on when 'Gulliver' is in the land of giants ('Brobdingnag') the casting for the King and his personal magician is again very good, especially the King who such a jolly fellow. Must also mention Kerwin Matthews as 'Gulliver' who is made to measure for his role (no pun intended...or maybe it was hmm), this part fits him like a glove and he's a likeable chap too which helps. No idea who all the actors are to be honest but they are all excellent I must say.

As for good old Harryhausen...well despite this film being listed on his filmography there is little here from the great animator. Just an animated squirrel and alligator and that's it, both are great of course, the alligator being the better or more fun, but they are not seen for very long so. Sparse on Harryhausen stop motion I'm afraid.

I don't really see the heavy satire and various themes which are known within the original stories. Probably because much of the original material is missing or cut down, 'Gulliver's' time in Lilliput does show small hints of political satire from the Lillipit Emperor, his regime and decisions but I think this is mainly meant to be a family film.

I had some reservations about the film I must admit, thought it might be too tame and childish, but it turns out to be a lovely film with some outstanding visual size effects (although obvious in technique). Don't expect anything spectacular in terms of plot or ideas, the film is very basic and plays out like a bedtime story for children. But at the same time don't let that put you off because all the charming sets, perky characters and performances will make you smile.
April 6, 2013
What you don't understand you want to destroy--Charming and Instructive Fantasy!!
March 20, 2013
An old movie that is fun for "tweens" and younger teens.
January 4, 2013
Delightful version of Swift's adventure novel, not overplayed or underplayed and Ray Harryhausen's effects add a welcome element to the fantasy.
March 31, 2012
I've never read Gulliver's Travels, so I can't make a proper comparison of story vs. film, but I'm told it's a very faithful version of it. Reuniting from their previous film The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Harryhausen, Kerwin Matthews and the gang come back together for more "Dynamation" with The 3 Worlds of Gulliver. Love conquers all in this story, as our lead actor is put in situations where he both towers over everyone and shakes from below. The effects are fun and Bernard Herrmann's score are wonderful, but I can't help the feeling that there needs to be something new thrown into the mix. The effects stop being wonderous and imaginative and become the normal way of doing things, so new and different stories were needed to shake things up a bit. The 3 Worlds of Gulliver isn't particularly memorable, but it's decent enough of its own terms. Thankfully the Harryhausen crowd would go on to create more memorable and interesting films.
March 17, 2012
Solid film contains way more imagination than the majority of the blockbusters today. Yes, Ray Harryhausen's special effects show their age as does the acting; however, The 3 Worlds of Gulliver is entertaining and sharp in its examination of humanity.
FilmFanatik
December 15, 2011
½ May 27, 2011
THE VERDICT?
A sadly over-looked, pre-CGI classic, 3 Worlds of Gulliver is both a great family adventure and a philosophically soft political satire. Love the Harryhausen special effects and slightly cheesy dialogue. Has enough charm to overcome its age-based weaknesses. Also way better then that rubbish remake with Jack Black in it (sorry Black but it's true)!
½ May 25, 2011
THE VERDICT?
½ May 16, 2011
1960's slow, a bit of a flat performance. Still, enjoyable to see the story as Swift may have intended...
April 12, 2011
i like it is when i am youn a baby woman lol
March 8, 2011
Entertaining enough, but nothing special.
January 2, 2011
wow this brings back so many memories :)
½ November 26, 2009
A little too goofy at times, and never quite reaches maxium capacity, the visuals work quite well though, and Kerwin Matthews is good at making you believe he's actually with/ around the various creatures; for a great performance by him see 7th Voyage of Sinbad.
½ October 20, 2008
Okay. Good special effects but I opt for the long Ted Danson version, truer to the book, and not as cheesy as this.
September 8, 2008
Another entertaining Harryhausen flick, while not a spectacular excersize in acting or editing 'The 3 Worlds of Gulliver' has some cool harryhausen special effects, and never ceases to entertain. One more thing I feel needs mentioning about this film, is it's unique sense of humor. I'm sure it must come from the book it's based on (which I've never read) but there are some truly bizzarre moments that you just have to laugh at in the film. The little peoples war over whether to crack their eggs from the top or the bottom being a prime example.
All in all, 'The 3 Worlds of Gulliver' is a nice morality story that should keep you entertained for the entire lenght of the film.