Throw Momma from the Train - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Throw Momma from the Train Reviews

June 14, 2016
This comedy is a prime example of a good idea for a movie but nothing to say about that idea. Seriously, it's as if the screenplay was written on a napkin. A great title and premise does not make a great movie and this film is proof.
April 25, 2016
I think it's fair to say that ANY co-star with Danny Devito would make an "odd couple", however Billy Crystal and he have a great chemistry in this film. The 'momma' is so well cast as annoying that you honestly want to see her murdered and would be disappointed if she weren't. Yes- that bad. Entertaining, but not worth watching more than once in a lifetime. Rating: 6.5 / 10
April 23, 2016
hilarious...great all around
April 4, 2016
Entertaining movie with DeVito and Crystal, however not too many huge laughs. Still good on screen chemistry between the two big leads.
February 13, 2016
Kinda grating, but clever enough. And shot nicely.
February 5, 2016
I'm going to kill the bitch.

An ex-husband that is an author and adult teacher meets a man that takes care of his mother, struggles with writing, and is sick of being belittled by his mother. One night at the bar they discuss their problems and taking care of each other's arch nemesis. The student goes through and kills the teacher's ex-wife, leaving the teacher to come through on his end...

"Go bury him in the yard before he stinks up the place."

Danny DeVito, director of Hoffa, The War of the Roses, Matilda, Duplex, Death of Smoochy, Queen B, The Ratings Games, and episodes from the television series Taxi, delivers Throw Mama from the Train. The storyline for this picture is average but fun and appropriate for the comedic genre. The acting is okay but appropriate for the content and the cast includes Danny DeVito, Billy Crystal, Rob Reiner, Kim Greist, and Anne Ramsey.

"She's not a woman. She's the terminator."

I came across this on HBOGO and had not seen it for a long time so I watched it again. This had a couple funny sequences and I enjoyed the character interaction. This is far from a classic or an all time great, but this is definitely worth a viewing and your time.

"I'm being held captive by a little troll."

Grade: C+
September 4, 2015
I certainly found much of this movie to be funny. However, the story never gets as dark as you might hope for it to get. As far as 80's comedies go, this one isn't that bad.
½ August 13, 2015
throw momma from the train was watchable billy crystal saved the movie but I
could not stand danny devitos character one bit he was very annoying and a pest
½ July 31, 2015
I just can't stop looking at Anne Ramsey. Funny weird movie.
½ June 13, 2015
Anne Ramsey's role as Momma makes this comedy entertaining and enjoyable.
May 29, 2015
Billy Crystal and Danny Devito are so great at comedy that it is so natural to like them in pretty much any movie but this movie is pretty blatant on spoofing on the Strangers on a Train story that it just would be better off watching Hitchcock's masterpiece.
½ March 22, 2015
Some laughs but not a great amount of focus......pretty tame which was a shame.
March 11, 2015
I like it mainly because I'm a big Danny DeVito fan. It appears dated a little and drags on at the beginning but the comedy between DeVito and Ann Ramsay is better than with Billy Crystal although he isn't terrible. It turns out to be a cute movie and even a bit wholesome!
½ February 13, 2015
Good parody on Hitchcock's film with funny perfomances and situations.
December 14, 2014
Sadistic and kind of funny
November 28, 2014
In the end Throw Momma from a Train isn't quite as dark as it could (and probably should) have been, but the hilarious dark humor is interesting, and the lead performances are excellent. 75/100
November 14, 2014
"Throw Momma from the Train" is the ultimate Un-Happy Mother's Day flick.
½ August 20, 2014
A clever black comedy with a funny pairing of Billy Crystal and Danny DeVito. It exceeded my expectations especially as I don't always enjoy dark humor. (First and only viewing - 7/10/2014)
½ August 10, 2014
Throw momma from the train is a classic comedy the stars Danny DeVito and Billy Crystal about two guys decide to kill one's wife and the other killed their mother but things go wrong and the funny things happen. B- (1988)
July 23, 2014

Not as funny as WAR OF THE ROSES or DEATH TO SMOOCHY, but damn near.