Thumbsucker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thumbsucker Reviews

May 23, 2013
Another indie film that's too heavy on cliches and not really willing enough to stand out from its counterparts. Despite this, it has a strong cast, interesting script and enough intelligence to make it worth watching.

Pucci's character did little for me and this damaged the experience a fair bit- when you have a film based around a character that isn't as interesting and dynamic as the characters around them then you are going to be pretty frustrated. His performance was good though but I just didn't like where he went with the character and the odds were against him with his character being the weakest in the script in my view.

There was lots going on around him though- his parents in particular I found interesting and Reeves' character certainly had me scratching my head. The plot lines never felt real to me- this one is three other films put into one- I'd name them but I can't remember the names, mostly because they weren't particularly memorable films. The subtleties are what makes this one though and I think that comes from the performances and general feel of the film. For me its a film that's basics are bad- it really shouldn't manage to develop into somethign worth-watching but this one certainly does. it's leaves me with that curiosity in my mind, its a specific feeling I get from indie films, its difficult to explain but this film is smart and interesting enough to leave me with it. The magic in this one is that it seems to want to be a teen coming-of-age movie and, for me anyway, it failed in that respect, and yet, there's enough elsewhere to make this film good- the world is interesting in this film even if many elements of the film aren't. It made for a strange viewing but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's almost an accidental success.
½ April 28, 2013
a great movie about self-acceptance.
April 7, 2013
Strange movie. Somewhat watchable, but not my cup of tea.
½ April 5, 2013
Not Mike's stronger work, but good for a debut film.
April 2, 2013
Worth watching for Keanus cameo alone!
March 7, 2013
Good cast, but the story is pretty mediocre.
February 11, 2013
To me, it really just felt like a bunch of small stories all massed up together into a movie...
January 22, 2013
keanu reeves is perfectly cast in this. its a mess. i expected better from u mike mills
December 28, 2012
Sounds lame. It had better be superbly witty commentary on life. I wont be the one to find out.
½ October 30, 2012
a movie only neurotics will appreciate and love.
October 24, 2012
Slightly disappointing for something with such an original theme.
½ October 10, 2012
I rented the movie and was SO bored that I pushed skip, while viewing 10-15 seconds of each chapter then fast forwarding.... I understood the film and realised this should have been a short... Thumb-sucker didn't need the extra hour & a half..... but that's just my opinion.
October 6, 2012
I think the best part of this film is Keanu Reeves that plays the orthodontist, that in itself could be a whole other movie.
½ July 29, 2012
Overly long and self-conscious. Could have been a lot more effective with some judicial and brutal editing. Some directors are just too precious about their work.
July 21, 2012
Don't give up on this one! The "greatness" of this film and story kicked in for me after about 20 minutes or so. I identified with this so much, from my own teenage angst, and the blessings and difficulties in spending 19 years with my own son, soon to be applying to a 4-year college/university. My only complaint: too much whispering! Hollywood: please stop whispering in movies :D
July 14, 2012
"M.F.C." <~~~ (You will know what it means when you watch the film.)

Another film that caught me by complete surprise, its another gem of a film, a masterful and enlightening coming of age tale that's both euphoric and dysphoric in parts, but that I personally guarantee will keep you satisfied for the duration. Thumbsucker was helmed by director Mike Mills II (Beginners) and its quite a charasmatic, snap, crackle and pop and inventive story of adolescence and the confusion of being a teenager, a time when we all felt trapped in our own bodies. Mills and company capture the emotions quite well on film here, and this makes for quite an inventive, original and tremendously absorbing story. Plain and simple, Thumbsucker is a rich, vibrant, authentic, sharp and compelling story that we can all relate to at some point in our lives, maybe all of us didn't suck our thumbs until we were 17, yes not all of us were diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder and prescribed a stimulant to combat the symptoms, but we all went through high school and it was the most fun and the most complicated, and confusing time of our lives. Its a satisfying, insightful, engaging and thought-provoking character study that pulled me in from the very beginning.
The acting is spectacular throughout with a star turn from Lou Taylor Pucci, I'm not too familiar with this kid, but let tell you he was fantastic throughout. Tilda Swinton was great as well. Vince Vaugn never disappoints, although Id rather see him in a comedy he still did great in this one. Vincent D'Onofrio in a strange, but well acted role. Keany reeves gives an oddball performance, but he did great as well.
½ July 11, 2012
A strange film where I didn't know whether I loved or hated the main character. A strange role for Vince Vaughn too but it was okay. Not too exciting but a bit intriguing. Coming of age at its finest.
July 11, 2012
Lou Pucci is amazing in this.
½ July 10, 2012
The perfect film for when you feel like you watched something of substance, due the the amount of dysfunctional characters.