Thunder Soul - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thunder Soul Reviews

April 10, 2016
A documentary about the Kashmere High School Stage Band. In the early 70's, Conrad Johnson lead the stage band from the Houston high school to world champions and international fame by holding the students to the musical standards expected of professional musicians and by incorporated cutting edge funk arrangements into the band's jazz repertoire. As a result, many of the kids from this severely underprivileged neighborhood ended up avoiding the spiral of poverty and crime that surrounded them. The film follows the genesis of the band, as well as a reunion by many of the original members 35 years later to play a tribute concert to their mentor. The music played by this band is simply incredible. At a time when Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock were considered to be on the cutting edge of jazz with their jazz-funk fusion, this high school band was playing similar material in competitions. A real demonstration of how much influence one man can have when he really tries to help kids.
March 19, 2016
An inspirational heartf felt story about a wonderful funk band that had their lives transformed by their band leader and professor. What a tribute to this ground breaking man and a look into a time of hope and positivity for blacks in this country.
½ March 2, 2015
This heartfelt doc is available on Netflix. This is the story of a real life Mr. Holland's Opus. With lots of archival footage and recordings and present day interviews this film illustrates the impact one music teacher had over 35 years. "Prof" turned a high school jazz band in the mid to late 70s into an award winning, touring, album making funk band. Great music throughout! Now, alumni from the band reunite to honor "Prof" at a Kashmere High School tribute concert. You probably lack a soul if you don't shed at least a few tears.
½ March 31, 2014
Awesome film and great music! Can't wait to find an album of the Kashmere Stage Band
January 16, 2014
I skipped school to go see a movie and nothing good was playing so i saw this and had no idea what it was and i have to say, i walked out with a smile on my face and even some tears too.
January 5, 2013
Wonderful documentary of a an award-winning all-black high school band whose director fused funk with the more pedestrian stage band conventions of the time to create a new and life changing group.
½ October 10, 2012
A must watch for educators and funk lovers all over the world!
½ September 7, 2012
Something more for lifetime? lol
September 7, 2012
This is a fantastic film.....
½ June 27, 2012
Really great enjoyable documentary! The world would be a much better place with more people like Prof.
June 23, 2012
One of the best movies I've seen. Totally unexpectedly. I would never even wanted to go to watch it if I knew the script. Outstanding movie
April 2, 2012
how can i download movies pls, can any one send a link
March 24, 2012
Teacher and father figure to high school band students, Prof Johnson lives in the hearts of his students forever.
March 20, 2012
Great documentary. If you love music, you'll love Thunder Soul.
February 17, 2012
Oh my Jebus was this doc fantastic. This is a testement to the fact that just a little belief and encouragment can propel anyone (in this case, a classroom full of anyones) to greatness. The music made me want to dance my ass off, and also made me long for my old high school band days (although we were nowhere near as great).
½ December 16, 2011
one of a rare set of documentaries that straddles the line between heartfelt and melodramatic, but never crosses it. a feel good, true story, filled with incredible characters. this is an enjoyable piece of film.
November 21, 2011
A winning film that went nowhere fast! Everyone should view this feel-good, funky, gem of a documentary. Conrad "Prof" Johnson is a teacher that every educator wishes to aspire to be. Makes me wish I joined the band when I was in high school! The dvd comes out in January 2012 and you can stream it on Netflix at the same time. MUST-SEE FILM!
October 24, 2011
Anyone seen this? It's sounds very inspiring.
October 10, 2011
DOCUMENTARY.....WORTH YOUR TIME AND MONEY....EASY!!! GREAT DOC.
October 9, 2011
One of the most powerful documentaries I've ever seen, this film beautifully illustrates the extraordinary power of a true teacher who changed his students' world through music. The level of performance is mind-boggling (forget that these are high school students, then 30+ year alumni - many of whom hadn't played since the mid '70s). The devotion and love they feel for their teacher and for each other is as moving as the music is amazing. As a film it leaves some questions unanswered-- you want it to be longer, to go further behind the scenes of the band's history and people's lives. But it's an unforgettable experience.