THX 1138 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

THX 1138 Reviews

October 5, 2015
As someone who grew up on "Star Wars," I'm kind of surprised with myself that I never watched George Lucas' first feature film. It's an incredibly grim vision of a sterile Orwellian future. Robert Duvall plays one of the nearly identical looking shaved-headed citizens who are held in line by constant surveillance and a robotic and brutal police force. Though made over 40 years ago, the film's themes are even more timely today. Like many other stories like this, the protagonist becomes disenchanted by his oppressive society and seeks to break out. Like many of Lucas' films, the character development is weak, but the overall story has many strong story archetypes and Lucas delivers the strongest visuals of any of his films. There were plenty of exciting moments in his three recent Star Wars films, but the imagery was nowhere as powerful as the stark images shown in this film. It's the simplicity of the imagery that helped make them so memorable. Far from being a commercial film like most of Lucas' subsequent films, and it's probably not gong to appear to most audiences, but I found it a terrific and powerful little film. Look fast for Sid Haig in a bit part and Lalo Schifrin provides a terrific score (almost makes me wonder if he'd scored "Star Wars" instead of John Williams).
½ September 20, 2015
Visually entreating even if the narrative is well-worn.
September 9, 2015
Mildly interesting. You can see some of the influences of this film on Star Wars. Otherwise, it is just something to check of the list to say that you saw an early George Lucas film and then just move on.
September 7, 2015
Social Commentary: The Movie
September 7, 2015
gr8 expansion of what was his grad student film also look for car with THX-1138 at malt shop in 'american graffitti'
August 30, 2015
Although the ideas and production design are decent, George Lucas's first feature film, THX 1138, has not aged well thanks to the mediocre execution and tediously slow pace that make this dystopian sci-fi film an overall uninterestingly bizarre and emotionally empty experience.
August 12, 2015
A cult classic that everyone should see !
½ July 10, 2015
There are some interesting things, here, but not much of a story.
½ June 29, 2015
not bad old SCI FI movie
½ June 21, 2015
Honestly speaking, I didn't understand what this movie is trying to show.
½ June 20, 2015
I believe Lucas is trying to forget he ever made this movie as much as I am trying to forget I watched it. Special effects for the time were advanced. Plot is pretty much non existent.
½ May 31, 2015
George Lucas's debut is a bleak and somber sci-fi with evocative sound and impressively minimal set design, as well as having a simple yet rewarding plot structure
May 15, 2015
its story is as sterilized as its scenery.
April 29, 2015
O primeiro longa metragem do George Lucas mostra o lado rebelde do diretor. Uma sociedade totalmente controlada pelo governo impede as pessoas de terem emoções e reproduzir-se livremente pela administração de drogas. Um casal tenta descobrir se existe algo além dessa vida e uma revolta se inicia.
April 17, 2015
A scifi movie that takes itself WAY TOO seriously and leaves the viewer bored and wanting to watch 2001.
½ February 17, 2015
George Lucas' first movie.... Starring Robert Duval.... Produced by Francis Ford Coppola in 1971.... How have I not seen this movie before? A great sci-fi story that is nice and creepy with some memorable visuals.
½ January 7, 2015
Thx-1138 ushered in an era where pessimism concerning human progress was a common theme in science fiction films. Thx-1138 addresses so many societal issues such as effects of the media on the masses, chemical psychiatry, free will, self realization, the role of the civilian in government. When the movie was first screened to Warner Brothers they hated it and later when it was released in 1971 it received mixed reactions from audiences. Whether you liked it or hated it you will probably remember this movie.
½ December 29, 2014
I found it hard to really gain any interest in this film. It felt slow, repitative and very boring. The style is nice and I like the overload of white and loads of the futuristic stuff is cool but foremost impressive. I really get why the early "Star Wars" films looks so great now. This film does not look over 40 years old or six years older than the first SW.

I get that it's a very inspiring and influential film. Sadly I really struggled to pay the needed attention too it. It felt like it's a film about loads of letters and digits being called over some PA. It's impressive for it's age, on many levels - especially the effects, but it's straight up boring for me. That does not make it horrible, but sci-fi need some more tensity for me. I also found some nice trivia at IMDB, that's cool, but it's not helping the result.

3 out of 10 bald heads.
½ November 19, 2014
george lucas just couldn't resist putting in a whole bunch of cgi bullshit. all that cg shit looked horrible. what is wrong with you dude? otherwise a good movie.
October 8, 2014
Seminally important film that should be viewed by every human being.