THX 1138 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

THX 1138 Reviews

December 22, 2015
For a low budget with a lot of dialogue, its magnificent. And a young robert duvall shows off his acting chops.
½ December 4, 2015
THX 1138 has a fascinating subject matter and premise with some unique visuals, but it is unfortunately executed poorly with weak plot, slow pacing and very weak character development. It is definitely original and interesting, but it is never as smart as it should have been and it is also too boring and way too cold to be enjoyed more.
November 11, 2015
Creative concept for a film released in 1971.
Rather dull, however.
Robert B.
October 8, 2015
THX 1138 is in many ways a proto-Star Wars. Lucas does a fantastic job creating what feels like a complete futuristic world. The sets, the costuming, etc. are all great. In the sound you can hear what is to come in Star Wars. The film itself is mainly a vehicle for exploring that world and is not great in terms of plot, but for acting it is fine. Overall, the film has the vibe of an intense dystopia that might have followed the 1950s in some alternate history. Definitely recommended for sci-fi fans.
October 5, 2015
As someone who grew up on "Star Wars," I'm kind of surprised with myself that I never watched George Lucas' first feature film. It's an incredibly grim vision of a sterile Orwellian future. Robert Duvall plays one of the nearly identical looking shaved-headed citizens who are held in line by constant surveillance and a robotic and brutal police force. Though made over 40 years ago, the film's themes are even more timely today. Like many other stories like this, the protagonist becomes disenchanted by his oppressive society and seeks to break out. Like many of Lucas' films, the character development is weak, but the overall story has many strong story archetypes and Lucas delivers the strongest visuals of any of his films. There were plenty of exciting moments in his three recent Star Wars films, but the imagery was nowhere as powerful as the stark images shown in this film. It's the simplicity of the imagery that helped make them so memorable. Far from being a commercial film like most of Lucas' subsequent films, and it's probably not gong to appear to most audiences, but I found it a terrific and powerful little film. Look fast for Sid Haig in a bit part and Lalo Schifrin provides a terrific score (almost makes me wonder if he'd scored "Star Wars" instead of John Williams).
½ September 20, 2015
Visually entreating even if the narrative is well-worn.
September 9, 2015
Mildly interesting. You can see some of the influences of this film on Star Wars. Otherwise, it is just something to check of the list to say that you saw an early George Lucas film and then just move on.
September 7, 2015
Social Commentary: The Movie
September 7, 2015
gr8 expansion of what was his grad student film also look for car with THX-1138 at malt shop in 'american graffitti'
August 30, 2015
Although the ideas and production design are decent, George Lucas's first feature film, THX 1138, has not aged well thanks to the mediocre execution and tediously slow pace that make this dystopian sci-fi film an overall uninterestingly bizarre and emotionally empty experience.
August 12, 2015
A cult classic that everyone should see !
½ July 10, 2015
There are some interesting things, here, but not much of a story.
½ June 29, 2015
not bad old SCI FI movie
½ June 21, 2015
Honestly speaking, I didn't understand what this movie is trying to show.
½ June 20, 2015
I believe Lucas is trying to forget he ever made this movie as much as I am trying to forget I watched it. Special effects for the time were advanced. Plot is pretty much non existent.
½ May 31, 2015
George Lucas's debut is a bleak and somber sci-fi with evocative sound and impressively minimal set design, as well as having a simple yet rewarding plot structure
May 15, 2015
its story is as sterilized as its scenery.
April 29, 2015
O primeiro longa metragem do George Lucas mostra o lado rebelde do diretor. Uma sociedade totalmente controlada pelo governo impede as pessoas de terem emoções e reproduzir-se livremente pela administração de drogas. Um casal tenta descobrir se existe algo além dessa vida e uma revolta se inicia.
April 17, 2015
A scifi movie that takes itself WAY TOO seriously and leaves the viewer bored and wanting to watch 2001.
½ February 17, 2015
George Lucas' first movie.... Starring Robert Duval.... Produced by Francis Ford Coppola in 1971.... How have I not seen this movie before? A great sci-fi story that is nice and creepy with some memorable visuals.