Tickle in the Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tickle in the Heart Reviews

March 2, 2012
Absolutely delightful movie. Somehow klezmer music really does tickle strings in my (non-Jewish) heart I didn't even realize were there. And it does so in ways that very little other music does. The powerful Jewish 'story' undoubtedly amplifies these emotions, but I think the music would do that to me even without that association. What I hear in this music are profoundly universal human stories of all sorts of peoples that somehow coexisted in the European 'bloodlands' (Tim Snyder) in the 19th-20th centuries. I'd love to find out more, for instance, about how Jewish and gipsy and Slavic musical elements blended there and then - all culturally lightyears apart, and yet somehow musically so obviously connected. Listening to this music I hear surprisingly accessible musical 'narratives' of all sorts and stripes; a laugh and a tear. And then seeing these 'relics' of that era in black and white, in the surreal environment of Florida but with both the deep sorrow AND the indomitable 'joie de vivre' buried deeply inside of every single wrinkle of their expressive faces. The unusually rich palette of emotions in the music is reflected in the stark contrasts of the movie: the Epsteins as retirees in Florida (Max hosing down his car in only a pair of shorts on his Florida driveway) vs. as performers in bow-ties on stage vs. as visibly uncomfortable visitors in Belarus. The contrast between the (presumably) liberal Jewish performers vs the Hasidic crowds they played for (too bad there were no scenes in the movie of these guys playing Hasidic weddings in the late 60s or early 70s, for instance). The contrast between these Jewish emigrees and the German liberal crowd at a concert in Berlin that seems to be eating up every note of the music. Warmly recommended!!!