Tideland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tideland Reviews

½ August 7, 2016
I still don't know whether I enjoyed this film. It look great and you can't fault the acting but I'm not sure if there was much of a storyline. There must have been as whenever I try to explain about the film to someone else it takes me an age but I'm not sure if my explanations make sense either. The film goes from sweet to downright disturbing at times and there was just enough interest for me to watch it all the way through but I'm still undecided.
½ February 7, 2016
It's Terry Gilliam so you know that it's going to be weird; it's quite dark and morbid too, not that the little girl who is the main character see's it that way. Write the major bits of this film down on paper and you'll think you are watching some sicko movie. Gilliam disguises this behind the little girl and the nice cinematography. It is a pretty small scale movie though, a limited cast and the story is far from complex. Jeff Bridges will never play a weirder role that this, I'm sure of that.
½ January 11, 2016
This movie literally insists upon itself, It is not disturbing, or edgy, or watchable.
Boo.
½ January 3, 2016
Underrated masterpiece!
½ December 8, 2015
At last the worst film of Terry Gilliam.
December 4, 2015
Not for everyone, this is a unique, bizarre film. If you like offbeat films, check it out.
October 1, 2015
Loved this film. Eerie, beautiful, strange, magical. It's still one of my favorites. I guess it's not for everyone, but that's what makes it unique. A child's innocence protects her from horrors. The innocence is thin and flimsy, and so you watch in fear that it will be punctured. A very unique film.
September 20, 2015
terry Gilliam at his best, excellent acting and brilliant story. very funny and disturbing at the same time.
September 4, 2015
One of the best films
August 24, 2015
What? I have no words. It defiantly wasn't a bad movie it was well made and had some great acting. But this is one hell of a ugly film. Its gross, uncomfortable, strangely creative but at least its something different. Its the definition of a effed up movie.

Not easily recommendable as there is some questionable choices from the director. Whatever I found it as a journey into a deep creepy place.
½ July 24, 2015
Many of Gilliam's films are about using imagination to escape the troubles of real life; Tideland is the strongest example of the need for that. Yet while the reality here is too grim for comfort and lacking the light relief of his other works, the only entertainment is some very black comedy, the director succeeds far better than elsewhere in putting the audience in the lead's head. And it's very refreshing for that to be a young girl who solace not in a gender-swapped boy's adventure or a sugar-coated fairy-tale but in her own world that's sometimes sweet and gentle, other times bitter and fierce, but never weak or stupid. This isn't, however, enough reward for how the proceedings are stretched thin over two hours and are often unnecessarily uncomfortable to watch.
June 3, 2015
Every frame in Terry Gilliam's Tideland is magnificent to look at, but MY GOD this movie's depressing. And ugly. And boring. The little girl, Jodelle Ferland (God bless her), is pretty terrible.
April 23, 2015
An apocalyptic chaos world seen through a little girl eyes. Jodelle Ferland is doing an amazing job, in this wicked surreal mobid tale of human wasteland. Its a abstract movie that make you wanna puke and awake your senses to the dread of the world, the things you cannot understand. Illogical as a child's thoughts.
½ April 11, 2015
I don't know. Perhaps this makes me a bit sick and twisted, but I love this unique film about the power of imagination and innocence that saves/allows a child to survive an unfathomable childhood. This movie offends many people. Granted, Gilliam is an excessive story teller who is not afraid to ignore boundaries of "good taste" -- but this film strikes a chord for me. I love it.
April 4, 2015
a bit of a different approach from Gilliam who here creates a visceral & intently visual, uncompromising & intense experience without his usual props and more with what the camera can take in and what the actors can exude. Enjoyed janet mcteers witch like thespianism
March 26, 2015
This is, of course, not a film for everybody. Gilliam not only admits that, he embraces in an introduction to the film. Many will hate this (apparently the bulk of professional critics), many will love it, and some what know what to make of it (these are Gilliam's own words). And he is right. I don't know what to make of it. I liked what he was doing, how it didn't hold back despite the character being just a little girl (who does a great job by the way), and I liked the whole visual experience of it all, even if it does become a tad too gruesome as the film carries on. I don't think it was Gilliam's best work, but I don't think he could've done a better job with this crazy material. This is dark stuff, So be warned.
½ March 1, 2015
I felt like I needed therapy after watching this film.
February 19, 2015
I love surreal and magic realism films but this just made my head hurt literally.
February 10, 2015
Many won't like it, but I admire the film for taking its dark subject matter in strangely surreal, disturbing, and surprisingly touching places
January 15, 2015
Wondrous and Gothic. Evokes the desolate tones of an Andrew Wyeth painting.