Tideland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tideland Reviews

January 15, 2015
Wondrous and Gothic. Evokes the desolate tones of an Andrew Wyeth painting.
½ November 24, 2014
"Tideland" never finds its footing but delivers enough end-of-the-world delights and twisted characters and visuals to make for a good watch, especially if one is a Gilliam fan or just stoned.
November 6, 2014
Delirious and Oniric. the movie after a while lose control and flies deranged all around a children (dark) dream and visions. Good characters with an excessive sometime exasperated way to express the need to survive reality. A sort of hallucinated "Pan's labyrinth". I expected much better from Gilliam
November 6, 2014
½ October 27, 2014
A mixture of "Alice in Wonderland" (naturally), "Days of Heaven", "Gilbert Grape" and "MirrorMask" for me. Weird and very pretty. The imagery is stunning, the filming is so smooth and the effects are very nice. A treat for the eye and a bender for the mind. It's a trip, it's an experience.
It's pretty nasty too, almost scary at times - at least spooky and gritty.

The little girl does great and the rest of the cast is also doing their jobs well. Sadly this is about it. It got problems when it comes to interest me - I mostly just sit back and watch, without caring too much. I don't know why this is, but it surely is. Maybe it turns a bit much into the girl's games, I surely missed some more screentime for Jeff Bridges after a while. I tent to love both visual and bizarre films.

"Tideland" is a bit of both worlds, but the result is not so great as it could have been. I got very mixed feelings about this film, so in one way I want to give it a solid 8, but I also want to give it a 4.

7 out of 10 doll heads.
September 10, 2014
One of the worst films I ever saw. Deeply disturbing with no discernible rhyme or reason. 'Disturbing' can, of course, be used to tell a compelling story or to make some deep point (as evidenced by Terry Gilliam's other works), but here, it isn't at all - its just pointlessly uncomfortable.
September 7, 2014
On many levels this is a sort of cinematic error, but on other levels it is sheer cinematic genius and completely unique. Most likely far too dark for most viewers, Terry Gilliam takes his audience to places seldom ventured. At times I am not sure that is a good thing -- but I could not look away. A devastating depiction of absolute horror seen through the eyes of an imaginative and intelligent child who utilizes every aspect of her imagination and intelligence to survive and make the horrors something she can get through. Uncomfortable because this message is distorted by the fact that Gilliam is a truly unique thinker who is far more interested in a child's coping skills than what the child must cope with and how it will or is affecting her psyche. Watch at your own risk. Janet McTeer is amazing in this film!
½ August 18, 2014
What the!?! I usually love Gilliam's mind, but nothing seems to click in this film - I'm not even sure how to categorize it: horror, drama, fantasy, weird/creepy? The 12-year-old girl (Ferland) does well, but can't really sustain the whole film on her own, since Bridges is - literally - wasted. Some very disturbing scenes - her 'special' friendship with her special friend, who's 12 years older, what happens to her dad & the train, the dolls... Not much coherent storytelling here - just a depressing jumble, unfortunately - no fun adventure down the rabbit hole here!
August 11, 2014
Looks sweet. I mean, anything Gilliam is usually worth at least one view.
June 12, 2014
Unwatchable, unbearable, and unlovable. Tideland is every kind of "un"-prefixed word you can think of. Even amidst the pointlessly intentioned but well-conceived cinematography, Gilliam does little to entice us with his self-indulged work, leaving his presentation of the darkness of Jeliza's pschye (or the minds of children in general) to simply be a macabre bore.
½ April 29, 2014
I was left disturbed by this movie. The child copes with abuse and abandonment along with a serious psychological disorder by retreating into a fantasy world. The director stated that this movie is to be viewed as if through the eyes of Rose and that is the only thing that kept me from giving it just two stars. It is extremely dark and the few times I did laugh I felt wrong afterwards when assessing the seriousness of the situation. Every character in this movie is emotionally unstable and it all leads to a literal train wreck. Quite a unique film, i'll give it that.
½ April 21, 2014
Directionless and boring. Avoid at all costs.
February 15, 2014
Disturbingly adorable, adorably disturbing. Crazy. Loved it
½ February 11, 2014
Through the eyes of a child.
January 3, 2014
it's a masterpiece and one of the finest films I've ever seen I've watched it countless times since it's release, years ago.
½ January 2, 2014
A fairly odd film but that's what you expect from Terry Gilliam.
December 31, 2013
Terry Gilliam isn't going to please everyone with this raw & dry tale of a little girl inventing stories to escape a reality so horrible it would traumatized any child for the rest of their days. Jeff Bridges gives a strong performance so is new comer Jodelle Ferland, absolutely fantastic child actress.
October 14, 2013
This film *REQUIRES* viewing it through the eyes of a prepubescent child! The German released Blu-ray and I believe the DVD both have a short video Foreword by Gilliam that, in part, explains and requests this. The story is told primarily through the eyes of a 9-year old, even if it's not often from a "first person" point of view. It also requires being able to appreciate the capacity for prepubescent children to have and exercise extensive imagination without losing ability to discern the difference between fantasy and reality, or losing their sanity. Failing to do this results in missing the inherent innocence of various scenes as Jeliza-Rose copes with the extremely bleak and sometimes gruesome world around her. There are clues throughout, albeit sometimes subtle, that she never does lose sight of what's fact and fiction, or what's real and fantasy. She does chose to ignore fact and reality until she has a means of coping with it. At times she creates a very logically rational interpretation of what she observes, albeit an incorrect one as she simply doesn't have the necessary knowledge or experience to truly "know" what she sees. In summary, she's never over the edge like the mentally retarded "boy," Dickens, that she befriends, who is mentally incapable of (completely) discerning the difference between fantasy and reality.

It's not as strong as some of Gilliam's other films, but it's not his weakest either. It's also not superficial entertainment. Perhaps that combined with inability or unwillingness to see it with the mind of a child is what makes the film so troublesome to many. A number of scenes are easily repulsive to an adult, but quite credible and very acceptable through the eyes of a 9-year old, without any mental trauma. Those who had a significant portion of their childhood play time left unstructured or at worst semi-structured, requiring the use of imagination to create, self organize and carry out activities, will more easily comprehend and appreciate Jeliza-Rose's imagination and how she uses it. Those who had crippled childhoods that were structured 24/7 by adults armed with endless rules and procedures about what to do, how to do it and when to do it, even in play by themselves or with others, won't likely have a clue about what's going on in this film. I pity them as they never had a *real* childhood.

Four stars for creating a film with insight about the capacity of childhood imagination and the resilience of children when surrounded by bleakness, tragedy and gruesomeness.
September 22, 2013
Sometimes disturbing and interesting, but most of the time nonsense and silly.