The Tie That Binds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Tie That Binds Reviews

April 28, 2015
I came across this film being a Moira Kelly fan. And I'm amazed at the merciless drubbing it's received here and elsewhere. I personally didn't think it was that bad. Sure, the real parents are both the tops (Carradine goes over while Hannah stays under), and the foster parents seem just a little too perfect, but the girl of the hour acquits herself with a simple, unforced performance. This was this actresses' final performance before disappearing to wherever the psycho brat from "Daddy's Girl" spends her days. And it's a shame, because she's the highlight of the film, besides Moira. (And I'm not just saying that because I'm a fan, but because she believably portrays a Mother who would do anything to protect her family, much like Anne Archer in "Fatal Attraction.") This comes from the producers of "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle," but, while both films are psychological thrillers, that's about where any similarities end. "Cradle" was about one psychotic woman's Terminator-like mission to destroy a family's life from the inside out. The foster parents here are trying to CREATE a new life for a strange and traumatized little girl. With the exception of a few R-rated words and bloodshed, this could air on Lifetime Movie Network no problem. So overall, I give this 2 stars. It's not perfect, but it manages to whiten your knuckles just a bit. (Which is more than I can say for any Lifetime movie.)
½ March 6, 2014
A dreadful misfire. Hannah and Carradine are ridiculously one note and the child actor, who's in the center of the plot, is bland and un involving. The plot is a direct rip off of 'The Hand That Rocks the Cradle', a film that's bad in its own right.
December 26, 2012
a wanna be thriller that feels like more of a serial killer slasher film
April 4, 2011
A fairly entertaining drama/thriller.
March 11, 2011
An OK movie. I'd say it was predictable but what I predicted to happen turned out better than what actually did happen. Keith Carradine is pretty great though.
February 14, 2010
Good movie, i liked the idea.
ScoopOnline
December 15, 2009
A Brilliant Thriller! Janie's been adopted by the perfect couple. With their help she can find a new life. If her real parents don't find her first.
March 6, 2009
A fairly predictable thriller yet still pretty good. I closed my eyes twice!
½ November 10, 2008
MST3K should have gotten hold of this one. What a stinker!
½ July 31, 2007
A little weird. I wasn't too thrilled with the movie. It was overdone, I think. A little unrealistic.
July 14, 2007
dinosaurs arent friendly
½ July 14, 2007
The little girl kicks ass in this movie, nice psychological thriller
½ March 28, 2007
This kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time
March 9, 2007
Silly, over the top and at times quite boring thriller about a psychotic couple who'll stop at nothing to get their daughter back after a judge deems them unfit parents and awards custody of the child to foster parents. The performances from the leads are anything but 'subtle', like the flixter review says, Hannah especially hams it up to the N'th degree and Keith 'who' Carredine doesn't do much to convince us he's someone we should have heard of. Having said that there are a few genuinly nail biting moments but not enough to redeem the thin and lazily conceived plot.
October 17, 2006
Well just use a pair of scissors.