Time Masters (Les Maîtres du temps) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Time Masters (Les Maîtres du temps) Reviews

August 26, 2010
yes it s old and the animation is outdated and it s really short but if you can realize that you r watching a 30 yrs old movie and ignore those things mentioned above you ll love it.
½ August 14, 2010
I great visual, animated treat, with heaps of great design by the legendary Moebius. The plot was also very interesting for an animated movie.
½ April 5, 2010
I believe I like Fantastic Planet and Gandahar better... this one mixes some more childish elements in. Once again the theme relates to time, and strange flora and fauna abound. I can't imagine watching these as a child, but there are parts of this movie that point to it being made for younger audiences.
March 12, 2010
I saw the BBC's English dubbed version in 1987 when I was 8 and it took me 15 years to track down. Time Masters is a bizarre story about a rescue mission to save a little boy who has been stranded on an alien planet in a cave of glowing trees populated by animals that resemble a cross between a polar bear and a Star Wars robot. And it has metamorphosising baby robots that can smell people's thoughts. The dialog seemed to be aimed at adults which felt at odds with animation that seemed to be aimed at a child audience.

I was interested to see it again after all these years but I can't imagine this movie would hold much appeal for the average moviegoer other than for nostalgic reasons.
½ January 22, 2010
There are a few interesting concepts, some cool music, and an ending that I didn't see coming at all. Not much else worth praising here. I hate the Moebius style and it's one reason why I can't stand Heavy Metal. It all looks like a cheap Saturday morning cartoon, and his idea of science fiction seems to be just throwing random stuff together without any sense of meaning or history behind it. And this whole film feels like a quick cash grab to capitalize on the Star Wars sci-fi bandwagon.
½ November 8, 2009
Rene Laloux's next film after The Fantastic Planet. It's not as deep or thought-provoking but it's a lot more enjoyable, partly due to much better animation (though I should point out, it is still very cheap and basic stuff).
It's still very good sci-fi and although it's much more suited to children than The Fantastic Planet, again, I'd say it's a film made with adults in mind more than children.
A big plot point at the end leaves a few boarderline plot-holes and so the film almost felt like Rene just had a cool idea he wanted to cram in the film, but this might be because I've seen another film do a similar twist and that film did it better. Still, worth checking out if you're a fan of animation or science fiction.

Personal enjoyment: 7/10
Actual quality as a film: 7/10
October 13, 2009
An animated Moebius comic, featuring not only the psychedelic beauty but also the chaotic inconsistency
October 12, 2009
I saw this movie when I was a kid, a hidden gem as far as I can remember. It would be a shame to forget it.
September 13, 2009
Un film pour rien. Les graphismes sont très kitsch et pas très soignés vus de maintenant.
lesleyanorton
September 5, 2009
Fantastic Planet lite. Very watchable, but not can't-tear-my-eyes-away-for-fear-I-miss-something watchable.
½ May 10, 2009
This may be my favorite Laloux film, the Moebius character designs are instantly eye catching, and they merge perfectly with the alien Dali like landscapes Laloux is so well known for.

"Time Masters" is a french animated sci-fi adventure story, that begins midchase, and careens towards a "La Jette" like twist, that mostly makes sense, and involves "time colonization".

A boy and his father race along on an alien planet and crash their vehicle, the father sends his son out with a communication device and tells him to do whatever it says. The boy is 5 years olf and the device is a transmitter to a ship across the Galaxy, captained by a freind of the boys father, who informs him they were attacked by an indigenous race of beetle creatures; his wife is dead, he is dying, and his son will be soon too, unless they can save him. For now the boy is safe beneath a part of the forest whose flowers act as a natural repellent to the creatures. The ships captain decides to deviate from his course of helping an embezzler Prince escape capture, and save the boy. Along the way they pick up a guide, whose been to the planet before and narrowly escaped the creatures, and two faceless psychic pixe like creatures, the kind you would find in a Miyazake movie. Meanwhile, They Prince is attempting to lead the boy astray on the communicator, and has to escape when the rest of the crew finds out. The captain pursues him to a planet of faceless angel like creatures who share a single conciousness planet wide, and who assimilate all life into themselves...Later still there are the "Time Masters" , who colonize planets by disloding them in time temporarily, hurling whole civilizations back into times when they would have been easier to conquer and with greater stores of resources.

Time Masters is wonderfully rendered space opera, with as always with Laloux, clever allegorical and political subtext, tucked in next to the sumptous lingering images of the creatures and places which only exist in his films. I think with this, "Fantastic Planet", and "Light Years", Ive now seen all hia feature films. Sad really, Laloux is up there with Miyazake, Svanjkmajer, and Chuck Jones, as the the great craftsman of his medium.
April 3, 2009
A wonderful, brilliant movie! stands the test of time, as it was made 27 years ago! still, it is beautiful, a true work of art featuring the visual signature of legendary french comic artist, MOEBIUS.
February 26, 2009
The whole idea of this movie is intriguing. Great visuals and soundtrack. It took me ages to find this movie again but it was worth the effort. :)
February 24, 2009
Must....get...hold............of it again!
½ October 3, 2008
Used to watch this as a kid and it used to freake me out...now that I've seen it recently I have to say...what a ride! Classic 80's soundtrack and above average graphics, this film is an emotional odyssey. Would be awesome if they could re-do it with today's technology.
July 22, 2008
"Shut your eyes, humans, and open your minds"
July 9, 2008
From the acclaimed director of FANTASTIC PLANET (a film that I have to admit I'm not that fond of) and French comic book genius Moebius.

This is a beautifully illustrated and highly absorbing film which leads to an emotionally affecting twist at the end. Occasionally it is a little slow and some of the animation is a bit clunky. Nevertheless, this is a superb piece of film-making that succeeds where many of it's peers fail for example HEAVY METAL and the majority of Ralph Bakshi's works.

A must for all Moebius fans.
June 24, 2008
Not as good as Rene Laloux's Fantastic Planet, but still entertaining.
June 5, 2008
Super dessin animé de l'époque
June 3, 2008
Simply stunning! Seen it back in 1983 and can not forget ever since. It has more emotional content than all current and coming Disney productions put together.

It's unfair to compair this film's technicality to present full feature anime and watching it for the first time now will not leave lasting impression as it did for us who watched it some 25 years ago...