Time Out (L' Emploi du temps) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Time Out (L' Emploi du temps) Reviews

April 22, 2017
This film has a 96% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes and I have to agree. Much more horrific than any tale of monsters, vampires, zombies, serial killers, and all the rest is this tale of a guy fired from his job. He can't tell his family that he's out of work. Instead he drives around aimlessly, eventually coming up with a Ponzi scheme to dupe friends out of money. The interactions between the man and his wife had me on the edge of my seat. You want him to spill the beans to his wife but he can't. A meditation on middle-class ennui that is frightening to behold.
½ April 23, 2013
I got this movie and kept putting off watching it. I would look at the cover and just not feel up to French, psychological, and introspective. I am so glad I did finally watch it. I'd read it was based on the true story of a man who pretended to be a doctor while unemployed. When his family found ...read morehim out, he killed them and tried to make it look like a fire. Being American, I was expecting violence and in-your-face manipulation and narcissism. But the film takes the premise of a man trapped in his own lies and increasingly over his head and leaves out the sensational gore. I've read people describe it as "creepy" many times, but I don't know that's the word I'd use. I felt sick for the main character and his family. Vincent and his wife are repressing so much, both afraid and on edge while pretending otherwise, but you feel their humanity and love for each other in quiet, tender moments. There is none of the explosiveness of the real-life story; it's more of an implosion. Time Out is slow-moving but with building tension. You have no idea what's going to happen and it for me it brought up many emotions not clearly definable. The last scene I found one of the most moving film moments, made all the more painful by how realistic it is, how "un-movie-like."
December 31, 2012
More than the plot, this movie works because it succeeds in creating an atmosphere of constantly being an outsider, left out from the rest of the normal world.
November 23, 2012
A great French drama. Why do they have it listed as a documentary here? This thing isn't a damn documentary. Aurelien Recoing is fantastic as the man who seeks to hide the truth from his family as a matter of pride.
October 15, 2012
The first hour of "Time Out" is the most involving portion of the film; after that, it settles into a pretty basic formula that's predictable yet still intriguing. Laurent Cantent's moody direction mixed with documentary-style camerawork and Aurelien Recoing's quiet, captivating central performance make watching the film a hauntingly effective experience. When it's all said and done, "Time Out" doesn't seem to have much of a point to it and the ending isn't as satisfying as I would have hoped for, but it's quite possibly one of the best dramatic pieces this side of the year 2000.
February 23, 2012
The synopsis sounds very interesting. The movie...not exactly.
Bunch of creepy people everywhere.
February 10, 2012
A businessman has lost his job but can't quite admit it to those nearest and dearest, so he begins to prevaricate ("I'm going to get a job in a foreign country...yeah...I got it!...working for a Liberal Politically Correct Charity!"). Lie heaps upon lie. His nearest and dearest become suspicious. Pressure builds! Laurent Cantet does a great job in directing--cinematography, acting. Yet the story by Robin Campillo, with a Cantet co-credit, fails sadly. With so much build-up of suspense we REQUIRE a major payoff. There is none. Just a sort of epilogue as to what eventually happens to whatshizname. The air goes out of the balloon.
December 17, 2011
Brings up alot of questions about the role a job has in modern society and how having a facade of wealth is more important than actually being wealthy. Seeing this film now, some will say its original due to our current economic circumstances. But Laurent Cantet's film is dealing with issues that have been relevant for decades in our world. The main character of Vincent is played very impressively by Aurelien Recoing. As the lies pile up and on top of each other it feels like your watching a car crash over and over. But the fact that i still cared and hoped for some sort of redemption speaks volumes about Recoing's performance. The 2nd to last scene should've been the end of the film. The last scene hands it to you on a platter and while you've followed this character for a while the resolution isn't as satisfying.
August 4, 2011
July 28, 2011
recommended by chirpysabz.......
July 13, 2011
TIME OUT is a quiet, seering masterpiece. A statement on the modern world where the desire to work and work itself eclipses everything else. Our main character Vincent can't get up the courage to tell his family he was fired. He is ashamed and saddened by it. But his troubles are deeper. He doesn't fit into this 9 to 5 world. He says he would rather drive around the country than sit at a desk. He is at peace by himself. Away from the bills, the pressures and the conformity. In a world where you are expected to get a good job, get married, have kids - it's never always that easy. The pressure to make more money, go higher up and constantly outsmart others to reach the top can be a killer.

The interesting aspect of Vincent's character is that it seems like getting a job is the most important thing to him but it's not. What will satisfy him - he does not know. He is merely meeting societies expectations. As the film goes on and lies pile up - Vincent soon has to confront the truth. We don't know in the end if he can finally adjust to the challenges that life brings but the film paints a somber and cynical study of the world we live in. Beautifully photographed, acted, and written - TIME OUT is not to be missed.
½ May 21, 2011
A beautiful, haunting piece of social realism, concerning an unemployed father who lies to his family about his new job, as well as to close friends who he tricks into giving their money for a made-up investment plan. While admittedly slow-paced and definitely not for all tastes, director Laurent Cantet never, for one second, drifts into melodrama like some dramas with subject matter like this sometimes do. With the exception of the pace of the film, this thing is nearly perfect, with a riveting last twenty minutes that contain a powerful, unexpected conclusion that you won't see coming. If anything, this deserves to be seen due to the current state of the economy, as it does its best to humanize any potential monsters, since in the end you do care about Vincent, even if he does do some horrendous things throughout the movie.
½ April 3, 2011
very moving drama about how losing your job can produce some very obscure ideas...
November 13, 2010
One of those films that's both discomforting and hilarious at the same time. Although, as Chris pointed out, it does seem like the director had to tack on an ending. It should have happened one scene earlier.
½ October 26, 2010
This film is incredibly unsettling, but achieves this mood in such a subtle way. As with Vincent's family, the viewer is also in the dark about Vincent's double life and the depth of his mid-life crisis. The haunting and affecting score is used effectively and the performances are brilliantly understated. This is a masterful piece of French Cinema which had unfortunatley slipped under my radar.
½ October 26, 2010
August 21, 2010
Märkvärdigt Intensiv...
August 16, 2010
A slow but mesmerizing masterpiece with a great lead performance.
August 16, 2010
This film was such a subtle portrayal of one man's personal devastation that it had to linger a while before I realized the affect it had on me. I guess I'm used to more over-the-top portrayals of men on the brink of psychological breakdown. Anyway, this one's a cleverly drawn out account and perhaps a more genuine observation than we generally see on the screen. It documents the struggles of a man we at first don't understand, and then hate, and then finally empathize with. The interactive quality of the narrative is a perfect compliment to the life we see slowly spiraling out of control before us. Great movie. I'm sure I will appreciate it even more the second time through.