Time of the Wolf - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Time of the Wolf Reviews

Robert B.
½ October 8, 2015
Time of the Wolf is competently made with solid, realistic acting. However it has too many characters, too little plot, and lacks in a coherent theme or message. Oddly enough, though, the ending is quite good and overall the film has some merit.
September 19, 2015
This film with many questions is a pretty different Haneke film. This is some sort of post-apocalypse film. At least I think so. We know nothing, but people are working hard to survive. They fight, they stay togheter. Thay are desperate.

"The Road" comes to mind, but this is much cleaner. More naked. The viewer is not getting anything for free, and you won't find answers. Haneke in a nutshell.

Silent, and it's not easy to show much interest at times. The last half our is better. Not the worst film from the man I have seen, but not on the top 5 list either.

6.5 out of 10 razor blades.
½ September 10, 2015
Michael Haneke, the king of deafening silence, brings us his idea of a post-apocalyptic odyssey in the form taxing drama, Time of The Wolf.
Haneke's puzzling pictures often rely on human interaction to piece their narratives together, but Time of The Wolf inspires little reaction in its audience besides a harrowing desire to go take a long nap.
Time of The Wolf is a grey film heavy on cold hues and chilling landscapes, but lacking in Haneke's signature senses of shock-horror and escalating dread. It's an anti-sci-fi, all about disorder and desperation. This seems cool on the surface, but between all its wailing, whining and waning potential, there's very little for audiences to really hold onto. Haneke's dry film is about as cold and desolate as the grim world it creates, wallows in, and abandons.
July 13, 2015
"Time Of The Wolf" may seem like the ideal premise for an auteur who is renowned for exploring the most unforgiving and bleak aspects of the human condition. Despite this, Haneke's unsteady use of time coupled with
underwhelming performances from much of the cast results in a film that never reaches the dramatic peaks we hope for.

When removing it's flaws "Time Of The Wolf" does manage to strip bare the entire essence of our society and it's values, evoking a beautiful yet stark portrait of human frailty and our violent instincts.

The film's nihilistic philosophy is appropriately subtle and it's ending is to be expected from the director (to the point of being predictable) and maybe if the character's were a little more interesting we would be left with an essential piece of filmmaking. Instead we have a long-winded, sometimes captivating mood piece that decides not to answer the impossible questions it asks.
April 10, 2015
Dark, but oddly full of hope. Not to be missed.
½ February 18, 2015
C'est pas son meilleur.
September 27, 2014
Even as a fan of most of Haneke's films, I must say this is a tremendously boring movie. Maybe I'm missing the point, but I doubt it.
½ August 8, 2014
It's like "The Road", only difference is that it's ultra-boring.
March 22, 2014
Don't waste your time, even if you're an admirer of Haneke's other works.

Maybe in 2003 this movie was interesting, or even groundbreaking, but here in 2014, after the recent glut of post-apocalyptic (read zombie) scenarios, this movie comes across like a pile of pretentious and pointless tosh.

The acting is fine, but why are we expected to emotionally invest ourselves in a story whose background is deliberately withheld from us by the director?

To answer my own question, maybe it's because points of interest in the movie itself are few and far between. We follow this unfortunate family as they stumble aimlessly around the dreary countryside, until the film stumbles to its dreary aimless conclusion.
March 18, 2014
It sets the stakes high right at the beginning and doesn't back down.
January 21, 2014
An uneventful and poorly written post-apocalyptic thriller that has some seriously embarrassing sound editing.
November 13, 2013
Visually interesting and good performances, little else. Worth a look though, and with Haneke behind the camera, I guess that's something of an accomplishment.
½ July 12, 2013
so many directors break the social contract but few ask whether it's worth surviving when we do
½ June 24, 2013
Perhaps the most realistic depiction of a world dealing with the collapse of social infrastructure I have seen. Brilliant.
April 21, 2013
An unspecified disaster wrecks havoc in civilization in Europe, particularly a family trying to survive in the French countryside. This film is spectacularly bleak even in the standards of Michael Haneke. The austere proceedings and deliberate pacing plus shocking spurts of violence and disturbing images will make it a real trial for most people to sit through. It's not my favorite Haneke but it's still an extremely well-made, well-shot post-apocalyptic drama.
½ February 12, 2013
The opening looks fine as I expect Haneke will expose the dark side of human when they are fighting for survival, and basically I am right. However, why the hell did it suddenly become an apocalyptic and nihilist tale? The plot is so slow, confusing and annoying. And at the end it suddenly reprises Abraham's sacrifice. I can't help asking, "What the hell are these all about?"
February 3, 2013
?????, ???????????? ??? ?? ????????? ?? ??? ?????? ??? ???? ?????. ?? ????? ??????????? ??? ????? ?????????, ?? ????? ?? ??? ?? ?????? ?? ????? ?? ???? ??????????? ?? ?????? ???? ??? ????? ??????? ???.
December 23, 2012
Don't expect a happy ending ... or beginning or middle.
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage.
November 5, 2012
The film takes its title from an ancient Norse poem which describes the time before the end of the world, 'the time of the wolf'.