The Time of Their Lives (The Ghost Steps Out) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Time of Their Lives (The Ghost Steps Out) Reviews

August 26, 2016
I'm sorry that RT disn't like it so much. It is perhaps my favorite of their movies.
July 29, 2016
Bud and Lou don't really team up (until the end) in unusual roles. Mildly amusing ghost story involving Revolutionary War plot, seeming traitors thrown down a well and cursed to stay in the property. Years later they haunt a motley cast of newcomers with some decent special effects, a seance, haunted dress and car.
March 19, 2016
One of the best Abbott & Costello movies about 2 ghosts that are trapped to a place, and until they find the murderer & clears the name of an accuser, they can't move on.
½ December 15, 2014
One of my favorite A&C films.
October 19, 2014
It is difficult to call this an Abbot & Costello movie, since Bud & Lou are on their own for most of this ghostly 1946 comedy. Frankly, this is one of the weakest A&C films, which suffers from a weak and inconsistent plot and a lousy performance by Bud Abbott, who proves he isn't capable of being anything but a straight man. The high point is Gale Sondergaard channelling Judith Anderson's Mrs. Danvers character from Alfred Hitchcock's "Rebecca" (1940).
½ September 29, 2014
not their best but its their most unusual
January 21, 2013
ii like the old movies with comedy and ghost
November 10, 2012
Didn't get into it. Very dated.
July 14, 2012
One of the best of their films. Wish you guys had it streaming :(
January 27, 2012
A forgotten fave. Lou's ghost is cursed to roam a mansion while Bud is reincarnated into a psychiatrist. With Gale Sondergaard from THE BLUE BIRD.
½ October 14, 2011
One of Abbott and Costello's most unusual, and one of their best.
March 27, 2011
The story line is genius & it's one of a kind. Bud & Lou never had a relationship quite like this on screen! The classiness & war time story is epic.
March 25, 2011
Finally found this one on DVD at Costco. Classic Abbott and Costello, best thing they ever did and they didn't play it as team.
½ October 19, 2010
One of the best A&C movies, always have enjoyed this movie since I first saw it as a kid.
½ July 10, 2010
It's not great art; it's Abbott and Costello so in of itself has great sentimental value. Watching movies like this brings me back to chilhood (before cable) when there used to be Saturday afternoon matinees on television and you could watch a monster movie, Ma and Pa Kettle, or Bud and Lou. In this movie Lou Costello plays a tinkerer who is wrongly shot alongside Marjorie Reynolds as traitors during the American Revolution. Their bodies are dumped down a well and their ghosts are cursed to remain on the grounds of Danbury Mansion until their innocence can be proven by way of a letter from George Washington hidden in an old clock. Only problem is the Mansion is burned to the ground and the furniture is looted. Fast forward to 1946 where the mansion is rebuilt and the decendant of Danbury Mansion comes to live bringing along with hime his fiancee, her friend, and a psychologist friend played by Bud Abbott. Hijinks ensue when the ghosts go on the quest for the lost letter. Hokey special effects and wonderful schtick make this a very memorable picture and one of Abbott and Costello's funniest pieces.
May 22, 2010
My favourite Abbott and Costello movie xx
½ April 1, 2010
This was Aaron Ty's choice for movie night tonight. We laughed til our sides hurt.
September 21, 2009
Abbott and Costello flick which starts in 1780 during the Revolution. Lou plays a character who is mistaken for a traitor along with a lady-friend and are killed and dumped in a well, cursed to haunt the manor for all time. The mansion is destroyed and not until the 1940s is it rebuilt. Being bored for so long, they decide to haunt the new inhabitants. They learn why the were killed and with the help of the live humans try to find evidence to exonerate them. Lots of funny moments, the obvious jokes were not over-used and it never gets stale.
July 26, 2009
I love all of Abbott and Costello's work, but this one is by far my favorite.