Time Out (L' Emploi du temps) Reviews

• Sep 23, 2017

Sometimes pride is a very hard thing to swallow and can be a devastating thing to do so. Talking is paramount, talking is a prime way to deal with situations depicted in this beautiful and important drama focused on problems of a middle-aged man who lost his job and is unable to adapt to new circumstances. Bleak cinematography adds to the feeling of despair. The tracking shot following Vincent as he passes by and watches other people's working places is a masterpiece of suggestive camerawork.

• Apr 22, 2017

This film has a 96% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes and I have to agree. Much more horrific than any tale of monsters, vampires, zombies, serial killers, and all the rest is this tale of a guy fired from his job. He can't tell his family that he's out of work. Instead he drives around aimlessly, eventually coming up with a Ponzi scheme to dupe friends out of money. The interactions between the man and his wife had me on the edge of my seat. You want him to spill the beans to his wife but he can't. A meditation on middle-class ennui that is frightening to behold.

• Apr 23, 2013

I got this movie and kept putting off watching it. I would look at the cover and just not feel up to French, psychological, and introspective. I am so glad I did finally watch it. I'd read it was based on the true story of a man who pretended to be a doctor while unemployed. When his family found ...read morehim out, he killed them and tried to make it look like a fire. Being American, I was expecting violence and in-your-face manipulation and narcissism. But the film takes the premise of a man trapped in his own lies and increasingly over his head and leaves out the sensational gore. I've read people describe it as "creepy" many times, but I don't know that's the word I'd use. I felt sick for the main character and his family. Vincent and his wife are repressing so much, both afraid and on edge while pretending otherwise, but you feel their humanity and love for each other in quiet, tender moments. There is none of the explosiveness of the real-life story; it's more of an implosion. Time Out is slow-moving but with building tension. You have no idea what's going to happen and it for me it brought up many emotions not clearly definable. The last scene I found one of the most moving film moments, made all the more painful by how realistic it is, how "un-movie-like."

• Dec 27, 2012

More than the plot, this movie works because it succeeds in creating an atmosphere of constantly being an outsider, left out from the rest of the normal world.

John B Super Reviewer
    Nov 23, 2012

A great French drama. Why do they have it listed as a documentary here? This thing isn't a damn documentary. Aurelien Recoing is fantastic as the man who seeks to hide the truth from his family as a matter of pride.

• Stephen E Super Reviewer
    Oct 15, 2012

The first hour of "Time Out" is the most involving portion of the film; after that, it settles into a pretty basic formula that's predictable yet still intriguing. Laurent Cantent's moody direction mixed with documentary-style camerawork and Aurelien Recoing's quiet, captivating central performance make watching the film a hauntingly effective experience. When it's all said and done, "Time Out" doesn't seem to have much of a point to it and the ending isn't as satisfying as I would have hoped for, but it's quite possibly one of the best dramatic pieces this side of the year 2000.

• Feb 23, 2012

The synopsis sounds very interesting. The movie...not exactly. Bunch of creepy people everywhere.

• Feb 10, 2012

A businessman has lost his job but can't quite admit it to those nearest and dearest, so he begins to prevaricate ("I'm going to get a job in a foreign country...yeah...I got it!...working for a Liberal Politically Correct Charity!"). Lie heaps upon lie. His nearest and dearest become suspicious. Pressure builds! Laurent Cantet does a great job in directing--cinematography, acting. Yet the story by Robin Campillo, with a Cantet co-credit, fails sadly. With so much build-up of suspense we REQUIRE a major payoff. There is none. Just a sort of epilogue as to what eventually happens to whatshizname. The air goes out of the balloon.

• Dec 17, 2011

Brings up alot of questions about the role a job has in modern society and how having a facade of wealth is more important than actually being wealthy. Seeing this film now, some will say its original due to our current economic circumstances. But Laurent Cantet's film is dealing with issues that have been relevant for decades in our world. The main character of Vincent is played very impressively by Aurelien Recoing. As the lies pile up and on top of each other it feels like your watching a car crash over and over. But the fact that i still cared and hoped for some sort of redemption speaks volumes about Recoing's performance. The 2nd to last scene should've been the end of the film. The last scene hands it to you on a platter and while you've followed this character for a while the resolution isn't as satisfying.

• Jul 15, 2011