Time Regained - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Time Regained Reviews

December 31, 2014
Here's a film that I adored that I can't recommend without pretty serious disclaimers. Ruiz nominally adapts the final book of Proust's "Remembrance of Things Past", but uses the loose structure as an excuse to pick freely from the entire mammoth work. He is clearly attempting to capture the stream-of-consciousness approach of Proust, and I would say he succeeds admirably. What this translates to is a glacially paced 2 1/2 hour trip through various parts of the protagonists life. I found it mesmerizing, but I like slow films that draw me inward. If you don't, the lack of a clear narrative will probably be torturous.
½ October 11, 2013
The stream-of-consciousness structure effectively captures a mind lost in thought; what it doesn't effectively create, however, is drama. Moody, opulent, and just decadent enough, Ruiz's film is elegant all over and perverse around the edges, just as it should be.
January 1, 2013
I had to make myself watch this film to gain any insight into Ruiz's cinematic treatment of the perception of time. The portrayal of every temporal concept seemed to be artificial, at least by today's standards. However, given that this film was made in 1997-98 I was disappointed that there wasn't something more subtle than what seems to be the surrealistic cinematic techniques of the 1950's. I suppose Ruiz is to be praised for his attempting to film Marcel Proust's novel but the film did nothing more than whet my interest in exploring the novel itself.
½ November 23, 2012
I can't fault the acting. These folks were trying..but it was terribly boring.
½ July 26, 2012
Raoul Ruiz' Time Regained is based on Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time, a book that I should probably have read first, because this movie is to difficult to understand because it certainly doesn't follow a normal story structure. For me it's like put together a jigsaw puzzle without the picture on the box, or looking for a treasure with out a map, which was of course the book. This is just the kind of film you have the feeling that you should read the book before the film, and from now on I shall follow that feeling.

Trying to judge it as a movie it goes like this, It's confusing, it's impossible to keep track of who the characters is, because there are to many of them. There's to many different plot lines. But what I did like was the whole setting of the film, the aristocratic one who barely notice the war, except of all the causal funerals which. And also some of the characters are interesting, like John Malkovich as the Baron de Charlus who loves being wiped on his time off. An the also features two beauties, Catherine Deneuve which is a plus. But I did in fact like the acting pretty much, the characters have such a dept, that it actually makes me want to read the book. It's so close, but I have to give it a thumbs down because of the plot itself.
March 6, 2011
This was wonderful--beautiful. It's given me an achey nostalgia for Marcel and his lovely novel. Ok, most of you know I'm nuts anyway. Now you can be sure.
April 17, 2010
This movie bored me to death. The time changes were unclear and keeping up with the host of characters and reading the subtitles was just too much. John Malkovich seemed to have many of his lines dubbed in because that certainly was not his voice in many occasions. This movie is too long and just isnt tied together as a story very well.
January 9, 2010
I am no Proust expert (I've read very little) so I didn't understand all the intricacies of character and family, but this was certainly well done.
½ November 20, 2009
love Raoul Ruiz's movies. Proust's narrative is a challenge. Ruiz got it: specially all those queer feelings between those men and women from the turn-of 20th Century. Delicious images.
½ August 14, 2009
mission impossible...Proust in pictures
A madeleine-movie.
April 29, 2009
Not a bad effort but not a patch on Volker Schondorf's Un Amour de Swann.
April 18, 2009
I believe I've found the perfect Proust film. Beautiful evocation of the experience of reading Proust's epic work.
November 12, 2008
Fallen asleep twice whilst wathcing this movie (on two seperate occasions); not a reflection on the movie though... I'll reserve judgement until I've stayed awake throughout!
½ August 14, 2008
One of the finest films made on the subject of memory, joining the likes of MURIEL, RASHOMON, and THE MUPPETS TAKE MANHATTAN.
August 7, 2008
Nothing beats the theatrical version. A waste on DVD.
May 27, 2008
Marcel Proust on cinema is not an easy task. But here you have a very good adaption of parts of his great Remembrance of Things Past. Raul Ruiz made it in the late 90s, with many fine actors and a striking cinematography.
½ April 3, 2008
Lost and found,
I decided to stay lost
In the moment between
Clanking spoon stirs,
Between cobblestone steps
½ March 21, 2008
enormt kjedelige å lange!
February 16, 2008
I haven't read Proust so I came to this as a bit of an outsider - nonetheless I thought this was an excellent film. It is epic, complex and ambitious in scope. The costumes and set design are excellent and a film with Malkovich is always a film worth seeing (His French wasn't bad either). Despite the star billing of Deneuve and Beart they are actually not on screen for very long at all - however Deneuve looks as stunning as always.
February 3, 2008
Adaptation of the last chapter of In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust. I read the book and I personally think that it is extremely difficult to make a movie out of this book in terms of being faithful to the original work and also presenting pieces of memory successfully, but this one really surprises me. The flash-backs and those scenes with the "spinning" background present exactly what Proust was trying to describe!! I was immersed into Proust's memory while watching it. Very extraodinary movie!!