Time to Leave - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Time to Leave Reviews

August 14, 2015
A beautiful and quite moving drama about mortality. Time to Leave is a terrific French drama.
April 10, 2015
I just didn't like it.
March 30, 2015
Personally I found this movie to be depressing. Romain chose to die in isolation despite having people that love him and would of been there for him. But that was his way of lessening their pain and his own, although some would say he was just outright selfish and to some extent he was. Ultimately though, it is his life and he alone has the right to choose how he wishes to die. That matter aside, the show strictly focused on Romain's last few weeks. It would have been beneficial if we saw a bit more of Romain's past like why he and his sister became so distant and the reaction of everyone after his death. The show was short so there was room to add more content. Overall though the movie was a good depiction of mortality.
I find this quote fitting to conclude my review for this film. "We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone."
March 2, 2015
Felt kind of generic and unremarkable until the perfect third act, which completely destroyed me.
January 31, 2015
It deeply touched and me I related fully with this movie. Any movie that makes you think tend to be my favorites. This movie had tough decisions.
½ November 24, 2013
mortality ain't exactly a cheery subject to end the night with.
i like ozon but didn't quite like this one; bleak subject matters usually make hard-to-like films, i much prefer the wicked and fun ozons.
½ March 19, 2013
This movie is shocking and make you understand that you have to take all the little pleasure of life and don't lose time, because life is short and even shorter when you're sick, It's in those moments that you realize how important and precious life is
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
December 5, 2012
This may lack originality & it has a few ridiculous moments here & there but in my opinion this is how this kind of movies should be, It doesn't feel forced & also successfully avoid cheap sentimentalism & on the other hand it's not one of those vacuous dull films for the sake of forced realism or being artsy
½ November 14, 2012
Nothing spectacularly tear jerking or overly cliched (which I welcome), just a simple story about one man accepting his death.
September 19, 2012
Quelle tristesse! Mais c'est un bon film...
August 13, 2012
I'm having a hard time with Time to Leave. On one hand, it isn't something American filmmakers would ever make. Not because of the subject matter, but because of the way the story goes about unfolding. (A grown man crawls into bed with his naked grandmother, he neglects to tell almost everyone in his life he's dying, etc.) On the other, it misses so many of the connecting moments, the transformation of the main character doesn't amount to a whole lot. Romain is vile to his sister and her children and his live-in boyfriend. He asks his father drop him off to buy cocaine (and then says it helps him get up, yet can't tell his father he's dying). He doesn't disclose his cancer status to a couple he has sex with. Nothing he does is for anyone else in the film except himself. Sure, he's dying and feels like he has no support, yet Romain never gives the people around him any chance to support him. Frustrating and mind-bogglingly shallow, Time to Leave should and could have been so much more.
½ June 10, 2012
A perfunctory, soulless drama about a selfish man who finds out that he is terminally ill and becomes completely distasteful, impossible to relate to in any level. Even worse, most of the actors are bad and the end only shows that the director didn't really have anything to say.
May 12, 2012
It was in need of something and have no idea what.
March 14, 2012
This movie sounds like it may be worth a watch although very depressing.
January 10, 2012
A very moving French film. There wasn't any hollywood type spin to make it extra dramatic, or extra sad...and because of that, the sincerity of the interactions were much more powerful, in my opinion. Quiet, slow, yet not boring. Touching...
½ January 6, 2012
Mientras evade las salidas más fáciles y frecuentadas por otras películas similares (la desesperación, el anhelo por vivir todo lo posible, el desapego absoluto, etc) la cinta propone una mirada pasiva y contenida de la proximidad de la muerte, lo cual es al a vez su acierto y su punto débil: los hechos son conmovedores y llevan a un contacto emocional con el personaje, pero son contados siempre como si se quisiera minimizar el impacto, tal vez para huir de los clichés que ya de por sí se habían sorteado adecuadamente. Con todo, una buena cinta para ver y pensar en ese eterno tema de la muerte. A ver más cine de Ozon, con este buen inicio.
September 9, 2011
i can feel the arrogance of the director all the places ...
½ September 3, 2011
I really like how the director set the plot.But I think it is kinda short.And I like Melvil Poupaud's performence in the movie.
Though the point of the movie is about how to face the difficulty,however,I think the part of family is also important.
June 13, 2011
Minimalist Ozon film. Only 78 mins long, but it certainly has impact.