Times Square - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Times Square Reviews

½ December 10, 2014
Had never heard of this one, caught it on TV by chance. Was quite surprised to find it's quite a popular, but not widely known cult movie.
Actually, it's pretty bad - Nicky in particular, I found really grating with that voice...BUT... There is something about it. I can't rave, but I can't quite write it off, either.
It has a hinted at lesbian love story at its core, and supposed mental illness. It was probably pretty out there for 1980. The New York setting is cool, but obviously dated.
Actually, the whole movie is badly dated, and not terribly realistic, but I can see why people like it. For me, not so much, one off viewing. But it is interesting.
½ December 6, 2014
Classic pre Madonna NYC street scene movie. Cool soundtrack - kind of a musical. Makes squatting look cool. Best enjoyed as I did tonight - as a random play on late night television with the ads on mute or pause. Lesbian overtones. It also is reminiscent of Puberty Blues but on the other side of the world. And the actor who plays Frankfurter in Rocky Horror co-stars as a dj.
½ August 8, 2014
Remember watching this in the early 80s... It's dated poorly and only a couple of good songs on the soundtrack lifted it above 1 star
½ July 21, 2014
Awesome time capsule of the late 70's early 80's punk rock new wave and of pre mainstream times square back when it was cool, edgy and gritty, this films features a fucking stunning soundtrack full of tunes by lou reed, The Cure, Roxy Music, Gary Numan and The Ramones. Plus great performances by Robin Johnson and Trini Alvarado and Tim Curry, this is a hidden classic of anti-establishment cinema.
September 10, 2012
The most inspirational rebellious teens movie ever made.
March 13, 2012
Just had the opportunity to watch this again for the first time in many years. I was pleasantly surprised at how well this film holds up. There are some really great moments and performances. Specifically Robin Johnson as Nicky. Yes, the movie does have its problems. It's little adolescent and melodramatic at times, but then again its a movie about adolescents. Anyway, at the least, this film is a great time capsule of the real Times Square before it became Disney-fied.
July 15, 2011
I'd been waiting to see this for a while now...I really enjoyed it...great characters and a very interesting story...the standout had to benew comer Robin Johnson...very interesting actress...Moyle must have found her on the street cause you just can't act certain things...I can see the trade marks that Moyle would use later with his other films, Pump up the Volume and Emipre Records...loved the music of the early 80's...

overall a very impressive little film that seems to have gone under the radar...anyone who likes Moyles stuff should check this out...they don't make moives like this much anymore..
June 5, 2011
A gritty yet fun portrayal of teens in the underbelly of late 1970s NYC.
½ May 22, 2011
Kathleen Hanna's favourite movie
January 10, 2011
A great drama with good teen actors, I loved it, and I highly recommend it.
December 16, 2010
...the Stigwood company had no bloody idea how to handle a punk rock movie, but Robin Johnson is kineticism personified...
½ December 8, 2010
Jos tässä olisi pääosassa poikia, kaikki olisivat jo kuulleet tästä. Todella hieno menneen New Yorkin kuvaus ja yksi kaikkien aikojen parhaimmista tanssikohtauksista. Tätä elokuvaa ei voitaisi tehdä tänä päivänä, ei edes aikalaiskuvauksena. Soundtrack tietysti aivan tolkuttoman hieno. Lady Gaga on kyllä lainannut tästä elokuvasta vähän turhan isolla kauhalla.
July 16, 2010
Flawed, but so much fun. Sleaze Sisters!
November 28, 2009
run with girlfriend who wears garbage bag and Ramones' song
½ August 14, 2009
one of my favorite movies
½ June 10, 2009
wow, what a clunky nugget, but it's charmingly awkward and has a great soundtrack. good grief, Robin Johnson's voice! pair this with Ladies & Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains and you got yerself a pretty groovy double feature.
April 19, 2009
OMFG!! a blast from the past! re-watching now... eeeee! cool!!!
March 25, 2009
I loved this movie when I was 14, I bought the soundtrack, a double lp and carried it on my bmx to all my friends houses, we used to play it over and over again, I wish you could still buy it, we used to dress like the aain characters too a fun time then!
March 11, 2009
love this movie and all the songs