Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Reviews

½ August 19, 2016
Solid spy movie. Definitely not from the same vein as the 007 franchise as far as action goes, but this film keeps a fast pace, and features an incredible cast.
August 16, 2016
It was so slow that I couldn't get more than an hour into it. ("Suspense" didn't quite seem to be the right term for this.)
½ August 14, 2016
- Ooooh, Budapest!
- There's a lady breast-feeding a baby. She's totally a spy.
- So is the waiter.
- And that guy reading the paper.
- I'm pretty sure the bread is a spy too. And the bucket.
- There is a room, at the CIA, full of sound-proof rooms.
- Gary Oldman is the best part of this movie.
- There is a guy who looks like a constipated gopher walking around with a guy who looks like a drunken Lurch. Who smokes.
- Ok, I'm 45 min in, and have no idea what's going on. It's literally just people walking around, staring conspicuously at other people, who are walking around.
- BEST LINE: (in a sultry English accent) "I don't know about you, George, but I feel seriously under-fucked."
- Second Best Line: Head of British Intelligence pouring an entire bottle of gin in the community punch bowl at a party: "Last year it took 5 hours to get drunk on this monkey piss."
- An owl just flew out of the fireplace in a grade school classroom. It flew through the classroom WHILE ON FIRE!
- That was the smoothest way to steal a file ever. Respect.
- Things you don't want to hear: "If you need anything tidied up, now's the time."
- There's a guy named Control. I want to be named Control. "Control says the deal is on." Oooh, I should just do that and refer to myself in the 3rd person as Control.
- The music and frenetic eye-darting is telling me some huge plot line epiphany just got revealed. IDK I lost track so long ago.
- Things you don't want to hear: "I want to talk about loyalty, Jim." Especially if you find yourself in the middle of an abandoned airstrip.
August 9, 2016
A complex espionage thriller that makes impeccable use of a careful pace to stretch the tension to its maximum and an appropriately dark cinematography to recreate the paranoia of the '70s and the Cold War maneuvers, while Gary Oldman underacts in a perfect performance.
½ August 3, 2016
Spy thriller that is a little too slow and uneventful for it's own good. Yes, sometimes there is a well paced shock, and overall the investigation is interesting enough. But there is no real twist to it and it all ends somewhat anticlimatic. The cast is outstanding as far as names go, but most of them remain somewhat underchallenged thanks to the (intentionally) bleak look and pace of the film.
½ August 3, 2016
Interesting but also slow-moving.
August 2, 2016
Atmosphärisch, sehr gut gespielt, aber die Handlung ist nicht so richtig glaubwürdig.
July 27, 2016
Too complicated for its own good, but supporting some great performances, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is an unfortunately average thriller, as it suffers from its scripts overly complex structure.
July 20, 2016
Undoubtedly, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a finely crafted film with a cast most directors would die to have but despite being intriguing and interesting, it never really captures any actual excitement and at times is a bit too confusing, due to some puzzling timeline choices, to build tension properly. As a result, it's a watchable film but it's a film that seems to seriously waste its exceptionally talented cast, who deliver fantastically stoic performances here.
½ July 10, 2016
Balanced and interesting. Tense. Love it.
½ July 9, 2016
Great performance by an amazing cast.
June 21, 2016
Smart and well-acted.
May 4, 2016
This movie is well made, brilliantly acted, and will help you understand what espionage is really about. Skip Bond and Bourne, Smiley all the way, baby!
May 3, 2016
Blessed with a formidable star-cast, the film is an intellectual treat
April 21, 2016
One of the most realistic Cold War spy-games movies I've seen. Great performances, great cinematography. Great all around.
April 9, 2016
Pretentious, utterly dull and nowhere near as engaging as it claims to be.
½ March 24, 2016
Was ok. Interesting, I guess. Not my favourite, thats for sure. Oldman is again very good...
March 23, 2016
Gary Oldman with a great performance, boring at first takes time to get into it, great period piece
March 16, 2016
Rather too complicated
March 16, 2016
Absolute classic. Unforgettable performances from a triple A cast. Very suspenseful plot. This is a movie for intellectuals, the sort of movie people should appreciate way more. Can't give it enough stars.