Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Reviews

December 5, 2017
It sure wasn't a bad movie but it was way too complicated for my taste, there are lots of stuff that I still don't understand but I liked the parts I did understand. I'm glad it wasn't a book; it would only be more complicated that way.
½ November 9, 2017
A very gripping spy story
November 6, 2017
This movie has an outstanding cast, but somehow this kind of spy movies bore me. Too many people - no idea who betrays who and why...
October 20, 2017
People who love blockbuster superhero movies will hate TTSS. it's slow, it's complex, it's confusing, it builds suspense, it's amusing in an old-time British way.
½ October 5, 2017
This is the thinking mans spy movie. Getting a John Le Carré book to work so well on the screen is very impressive. This may be too slow for some, and you have to pay attention. This might be the best spy movie,ever.
½ October 5, 2017
A subtle uncovering of an uncommon espionage case told in a classy old-fashioned setting. Accompanied by unexpected crafted details -- check out the typography in the opening credits and the end credits that moves slowly from left to right (glad to see a filmmaker make use of the entire format of a film). The star-studded cast narrates the story with hints of information told in dialogue and mostly nuanced actions. Proving the audience does not need to be told what is happening at all times. In addition, the story isn't just about solving the case, but a study of the many characters each actor brilliantly portrayed in their short stage time. Ultimately, this is a one-of-a-kind espionage film that lets the audience join the game.
½ August 13, 2017
With a convoluted plot and rather weak character development, this film is overall, a tiresome experience. And with the only redeeming quality being the remarkable acting, this 2hr+ movie can only be remotely enjoyed with extreme patience.
½ August 8, 2017
The meticulous work of a master visualist the level of which has been extinct since Melville.
July 26, 2017
It was either insanely complicated or I was too sleepy. Either way, I didn't get the plot. Didn't even remember the names of the characters at the end. This movie is slowww. I was excited because I like the director but both the direction and cinematography fell flat, despite having a great cast. Surprised at the RT rating for this one.
½ July 25, 2017
Boring boring BORing BORING!!! Not dramatic. Not suspenseful. Not Interesting. And surely directed by three children in a trench coat. The acting is 50 takes per scene stale. The background is constantly more interesting than the shadow of a plot. First 5 minutes great. Next two hours Boring boring BORing BORING!!!
July 4, 2017
Looking for the best in humane, realistic spy movies ? This is it. The Director Thomas Alfredson deserves tremendous credit for taking the risk of re-making in a two-hour format what was already one of the most acclaimed books and successful tv mini-series of the post-war spy genre. He succeeded wildly. With a truly great cast, the movie also has the right period atmosphere. It is a complex and riveting story and also one that holds up very well to re-watching. A gem within its genre.
June 18, 2017
I thought the movie was a masterful piece of story telling. I love reading John Le Carre novels but even though I wanted to see the movie I was worried the complexity of emotions and situations would not transfer successfully to the screen but this movie was brilliant, obviously due to the director and the writers getting all that from the book to the screen. All the actors particularly Gary Oldman, successfully showed us how seemingly ordinary people we can bump into, for instance, when Gary Oldman's character went to the optometrist, lead extraordinary lives. Also how grateful we all should be for the unrecognised jobs the people in secret security agencies do to keep us safe. Any chance of another one being made by the same director? What about Smiley's People?
June 3, 2017
I saw 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, ZzzZzZZzzZz' at the cinema, and one of our group actually fell asleep. I think some others in the audience did the same, and I fought with every once of my being to not follow suit. There were certainly plenty of sighs and sounds of boredom and exasperation emanating from around the cinema room. And yes indeed, this film is slow, boring, and incoherent. In fact, people who have read the book by John Le Carre have said that the plot would be impenetrably incomprehensible to those who haven't already read the novel, largely due to pointless and unnecessary alterations from the source material. Esoteric doesn't quite do justice in describing this convoluted mess of a movie. The writers clearly didn't want anyone to know, understand, or care about what is going on throughout the entire length of the film. But they did want you to see edifying spectacle of Gary Oldman skinny dipping on numerous occasions in a pond. 1/5*
½ May 31, 2017
At times tough to follow, this murky piece is fueled by expert performances and wonderful intrigue.
½ April 24, 2017
Intricate and full of webs chasing down who is the mole. However sleekly well underacted by Gary Oldman it's slow burn isn't worth the squeeze. Although Oldman was the majority of the film with a large ensemble cast. I thought cumberbatchs character was unique and well acted. Overall it felt like a slower version of Deniros The Good Shepherd.
March 23, 2017
Jesus fucking christ I don't care how good the acting or dialogue is if I'm bored to tears for the entire duration of the film
March 1, 2017
Despite the critical acclaim, I found it vague and confusing. You get no character depth. Perhaps I was too tired, but I didn't really connect the clues and much of the movie just seemed a shuffling of papers.
½ February 18, 2017
Even if the film doesn't possess something unique and powerful enough to make it memorable, it's narrative, direction and amazing performances by a brilliant casting grants and enjoyable spy thriller, that it's not commonly nowadays.
½ February 18, 2017
I'm a huge fan of Tom Hardy, not to mention Gary Oldman and Colin Firth. I also enjoy complex thrillers but this movie seriously lacks soul and enjoyment in any sense. Yes its beautifully shot, meticulous in detail and the actors are top of their trade but there are so many actors that none of them truly get a chance to develop and shine through the morbidly slow pacing and lack of any meat and depth in most scenes. a shameful waste of such amazing talent, including Kathy Burke and Tom Hardy. This gets a huge rating on here but I fear this is a case of emperors new clothes, so many good actors, technicians and so unjustly loved by critics. Could and should have been so much more gripping.