Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Reviews

½ April 24, 2017
Intricate and full of webs chasing down who is the mole. However sleekly well underacted by Gary Oldman it's slow burn isn't worth the squeeze. Although Oldman was the majority of the film with a large ensemble cast. I thought cumberbatchs character was unique and well acted. Overall it felt like a slower version of Deniros The Good Shepherd.
March 23, 2017
Jesus fucking christ I don't care how good the acting or dialogue is if I'm bored to tears for the entire duration of the film
March 1, 2017
Despite the critical acclaim, I found it vague and confusing. You get no character depth. Perhaps I was too tired, but I didn't really connect the clues and much of the movie just seemed a shuffling of papers.
½ February 18, 2017
Even if the film doesn't possess something unique and powerful enough to make it memorable, it's narrative, direction and amazing performances by a brilliant casting grants and enjoyable spy thriller, that it's not commonly nowadays.
½ February 18, 2017
I'm a huge fan of Tom Hardy, not to mention Gary Oldman and Colin Firth. I also enjoy complex thrillers but this movie seriously lacks soul and enjoyment in any sense. Yes its beautifully shot, meticulous in detail and the actors are top of their trade but there are so many actors that none of them truly get a chance to develop and shine through the morbidly slow pacing and lack of any meat and depth in most scenes. a shameful waste of such amazing talent, including Kathy Burke and Tom Hardy. This gets a huge rating on here but I fear this is a case of emperors new clothes, so many good actors, technicians and so unjustly loved by critics. Could and should have been so much more gripping.
½ February 12, 2017
A slow and rambling film has a good cast but very little else to recommend it. On Blu-Ray.
February 5, 2017
Has some pretty clunky aspects, and the music threatened to ruin the whole mood (I guessed pretty quickly that the composer worked for Almodovar; what works in his movies is badly out of place in a chilly, restrained spy movie). But there's a lot to love here, from the slow but tense pace to the gorgeous camera, the stacked cast, the lack of hand-holding. I loved the way the plot was structured: there's an abundance of unexplained (to the audience) details that you have to scramble to keep up with, but the singular driving plot device (which the film almost treats, amusingly, as a MacGuffin) remains clear from beginning to end, so you're never confused about character motivations or goals. It's quite beautiful.
January 31, 2017
When inebriated, this movie essentially involves lots of quiet and well dressed British men walking in and out of rooms. Also, there's a mole. Pretty, though.
½ January 26, 2017
De accion lenta, pero gran pelicula.
½ January 14, 2017
I remember how long this felt. Can't recall much else.
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
November 18, 2016
Excruciating espionage film based on the 1974 book of the same name by John Le Carrè.
It basically follows the hunt for a mole in the British secret service or Mi6.
Semi-retired agent George Smiley (excellently portrayed by Gary Oldman, who is made to look about 20 years older) is brought in to hunt down the traitor.
The story is set in the bleak London of the seventies and the cinematography excellently portrays this bleak feel.
The film is more Spycatcher by Peter Wright (controversial 1980s book) rather than a James Bond action vehicle.
The film takes deep concentration in its two hour running time. There are so many suspects that showcase an excellent cast of the cream of British cinema. Colin Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch, Toby Jones, Mark Strong, John Hurt and last but by no means least Tom Hardy.
Apparently this film was originally filmed as a six hour or so drama by the BBC in 1979. I can imagine the six hour running time being sufficient. The two hour running time tries to do to much within its time constraints.
I originally purchased this film way back upon Blu-Ray release in 2012. I gave up then after half an hour so was determined to see the film out.
However give me Sir Roger Moore in an alpine ski chase falling into the abyss from an Austrian mountain anyday rather than this overrated chirade.
November 8, 2016
Lost during more than one and a half hours just to get a little sense of what was happening just at the final half hour
½ November 7, 2016
boring, despite s great cast
½ October 26, 2016
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a decent film. It is about espionage veteran George Smiley who is forced from semi-retirement to uncover a Soviet agent within MI6 during the Cold War. Gary Oldman and Colin Firth give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Tomas Alfredson did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and mystery.
½ August 19, 2016
Solid spy movie. Definitely not from the same vein as the 007 franchise as far as action goes, but this film keeps a fast pace, and features an incredible cast.
August 16, 2016
It was so slow that I couldn't get more than an hour into it. ("Suspense" didn't quite seem to be the right term for this.)
½ August 14, 2016
- Ooooh, Budapest!
- There's a lady breast-feeding a baby. She's totally a spy.
- So is the waiter.
- And that guy reading the paper.
- I'm pretty sure the bread is a spy too. And the bucket.
- There is a room, at the CIA, full of sound-proof rooms.
- Gary Oldman is the best part of this movie.
- There is a guy who looks like a constipated gopher walking around with a guy who looks like a drunken Lurch. Who smokes.
- Ok, I'm 45 min in, and have no idea what's going on. It's literally just people walking around, staring conspicuously at other people, who are walking around.
- BEST LINE: (in a sultry English accent) "I don't know about you, George, but I feel seriously under-fucked."
- Second Best Line: Head of British Intelligence pouring an entire bottle of gin in the community punch bowl at a party: "Last year it took 5 hours to get drunk on this monkey piss."
- An owl just flew out of the fireplace in a grade school classroom. It flew through the classroom WHILE ON FIRE!
- That was the smoothest way to steal a file ever. Respect.
- Things you don't want to hear: "If you need anything tidied up, now's the time."
- There's a guy named Control. I want to be named Control. "Control says the deal is on." Oooh, I should just do that and refer to myself in the 3rd person as Control.
- The music and frenetic eye-darting is telling me some huge plot line epiphany just got revealed. IDK I lost track so long ago.
- Things you don't want to hear: "I want to talk about loyalty, Jim." Especially if you find yourself in the middle of an abandoned airstrip.
August 9, 2016
A complex espionage thriller that makes impeccable use of a careful pace to stretch the tension to its maximum and an appropriately dark cinematography to recreate the paranoia of the '70s and the Cold War maneuvers, while Gary Oldman underacts in a perfect performance.
½ August 3, 2016
Spy thriller that is a little too slow and uneventful for it's own good. Yes, sometimes there is a well paced shock, and overall the investigation is interesting enough. But there is no real twist to it and it all ends somewhat anticlimatic. The cast is outstanding as far as names go, but most of them remain somewhat underchallenged thanks to the (intentionally) bleak look and pace of the film.