Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Reviews

½ August 13, 2017
With a convoluted plot and rather weak character development, this film is overall, a tiresome experience. And with the only redeeming quality being the remarkable acting, this 2hr+ movie can only be remotely enjoyed with extreme patience.
½ August 8, 2017
The meticulous work of a master visualist the level of which has been extinct since Melville.
July 26, 2017
It was either insanely complicated or I was too sleepy. Either way, I didn't get the plot. Didn't even remember the names of the characters at the end. This movie is slowww. I was excited because I like the director but both the direction and cinematography fell flat, despite having a great cast. Surprised at the RT rating for this one.
½ July 25, 2017
Boring boring BORing BORING!!! Not dramatic. Not suspenseful. Not Interesting. And surely directed by three children in a trench coat. The acting is 50 takes per scene stale. The background is constantly more interesting than the shadow of a plot. First 5 minutes great. Next two hours Boring boring BORing BORING!!!
July 4, 2017
Looking for the best in humane, realistic spy movies ? This is it. The Director Thomas Alfredson deserves tremendous credit for taking the risk of re-making in a two-hour format what was already one of the most acclaimed books and successful tv mini-series of the post-war spy genre. He succeeded wildly. With a truly great cast, the movie also has the right period atmosphere. It is a complex and riveting story and also one that holds up very well to re-watching. A gem within its genre.
June 18, 2017
I thought the movie was a masterful piece of story telling. I love reading John Le Carre novels but even though I wanted to see the movie I was worried the complexity of emotions and situations would not transfer successfully to the screen but this movie was brilliant, obviously due to the director and the writers getting all that from the book to the screen. All the actors particularly Gary Oldman, successfully showed us how seemingly ordinary people we can bump into, for instance, when Gary Oldman's character went to the optometrist, lead extraordinary lives. Also how grateful we all should be for the unrecognised jobs the people in secret security agencies do to keep us safe. Any chance of another one being made by the same director? What about Smiley's People?
June 3, 2017
I saw 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, ZzzZzZZzzZz' at the cinema, and one of our group actually fell asleep. I think some others in the audience did the same, and I fought with every once of my being to not follow suit. There were certainly plenty of sighs and sounds of boredom and exasperation emanating from around the cinema room. And yes indeed, this film is slow, boring, and incoherent. In fact, people who have read the book by John Le Carre have said that the plot would be impenetrably incomprehensible to those who haven't already read the novel, largely due to pointless and unnecessary alterations from the source material. Esoteric doesn't quite do justice in describing this convoluted mess of a movie. The writers clearly didn't want anyone to know, understand, or care about what is going on throughout the entire length of the film. But they did want you to see edifying spectacle of Gary Oldman skinny dipping on numerous occasions in a pond. 1/5*
½ May 31, 2017
At times tough to follow, this murky piece is fueled by expert performances and wonderful intrigue.
½ April 24, 2017
Intricate and full of webs chasing down who is the mole. However sleekly well underacted by Gary Oldman it's slow burn isn't worth the squeeze. Although Oldman was the majority of the film with a large ensemble cast. I thought cumberbatchs character was unique and well acted. Overall it felt like a slower version of Deniros The Good Shepherd.
March 23, 2017
Jesus fucking christ I don't care how good the acting or dialogue is if I'm bored to tears for the entire duration of the film
March 1, 2017
Despite the critical acclaim, I found it vague and confusing. You get no character depth. Perhaps I was too tired, but I didn't really connect the clues and much of the movie just seemed a shuffling of papers.
½ February 18, 2017
Even if the film doesn't possess something unique and powerful enough to make it memorable, it's narrative, direction and amazing performances by a brilliant casting grants and enjoyable spy thriller, that it's not commonly nowadays.
½ February 18, 2017
I'm a huge fan of Tom Hardy, not to mention Gary Oldman and Colin Firth. I also enjoy complex thrillers but this movie seriously lacks soul and enjoyment in any sense. Yes its beautifully shot, meticulous in detail and the actors are top of their trade but there are so many actors that none of them truly get a chance to develop and shine through the morbidly slow pacing and lack of any meat and depth in most scenes. a shameful waste of such amazing talent, including Kathy Burke and Tom Hardy. This gets a huge rating on here but I fear this is a case of emperors new clothes, so many good actors, technicians and so unjustly loved by critics. Could and should have been so much more gripping.
½ February 12, 2017
A slow and rambling film has a good cast but very little else to recommend it. On Blu-Ray.
February 5, 2017
Has some pretty clunky aspects, and the music threatened to ruin the whole mood (I guessed pretty quickly that the composer worked for Almodovar; what works in his movies is badly out of place in a chilly, restrained spy movie). But there's a lot to love here, from the slow but tense pace to the gorgeous camera, the stacked cast, the lack of hand-holding. I loved the way the plot was structured: there's an abundance of unexplained (to the audience) details that you have to scramble to keep up with, but the singular driving plot device (which the film almost treats, amusingly, as a MacGuffin) remains clear from beginning to end, so you're never confused about character motivations or goals. It's quite beautiful.
January 31, 2017
When inebriated, this movie essentially involves lots of quiet and well dressed British men walking in and out of rooms. Also, there's a mole. Pretty, though.
½ January 26, 2017
De accion lenta, pero gran pelicula.
½ January 14, 2017
I remember how long this felt. Can't recall much else.
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
November 18, 2016
Excruciating espionage film based on the 1974 book of the same name by John Le Carrè.
It basically follows the hunt for a mole in the British secret service or Mi6.
Semi-retired agent George Smiley (excellently portrayed by Gary Oldman, who is made to look about 20 years older) is brought in to hunt down the traitor.
The story is set in the bleak London of the seventies and the cinematography excellently portrays this bleak feel.
The film is more Spycatcher by Peter Wright (controversial 1980s book) rather than a James Bond action vehicle.
The film takes deep concentration in its two hour running time. There are so many suspects that showcase an excellent cast of the cream of British cinema. Colin Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch, Toby Jones, Mark Strong, John Hurt and last but by no means least Tom Hardy.
Apparently this film was originally filmed as a six hour or so drama by the BBC in 1979. I can imagine the six hour running time being sufficient. The two hour running time tries to do to much within its time constraints.
I originally purchased this film way back upon Blu-Ray release in 2012. I gave up then after half an hour so was determined to see the film out.
However give me Sir Roger Moore in an alpine ski chase falling into the abyss from an Austrian mountain anyday rather than this overrated chirade.