Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Reviews

½ November 25, 2015
Really great spy caper. Loved all the intrigue and mystery. I never figured it out until the very end. Great film.
November 4, 2015
Despite the best efforts of Oldman, Cumberbatch and Strong, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is let down by its excruciating pace, lack of intrigue and poor casting choices.
½ October 25, 2015
"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" is a marvelous thriller, incredibly directed by Tomas Alfredson, helped by an excellent production and an ensemble talent cast (Gary Oldman is great). Amazing!!! (4.5/5)
October 24, 2015
Can't wait to see this!!!!!
October 18, 2015
Tight, well written, and smart.
½ September 30, 2015
Told with visual panache and beautiful shot compositions, Tinker Tailor creates the right amount of tension but could have done without the convoluted structure.
½ August 23, 2015
-Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a 2011 Cold War espionage film directed by Tomas Alfredson. The screenplay was written by Bridget O'Connor and Peter Straughan, based on the 1974 novel of the same name by John le Carré.
It stars Gary Oldman as George Smiley, along with Colin Firth, Tom Hardy, John Hurt, Toby Jones, Mark Strong, Benedict Cumberbatch and Ciarán Hinds. Set in London in the early 1970s, the story follows the hunt for a Soviet double agent at the top of the British secret service.
. The film was produced through the British company Working Title Films and financed by France's StudioCanal. It premiered in competition at the 68th Venice International Film Festival. It was a critical and commercial success and was the highest-grossing film at the British box office for three consecutive weeks. The film also received three Academy Awards nominations: Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Original Score, and for Oldman, Best Actor.
The novel had previously been adapted into the award-winning 1979 BBC TV miniseries Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
--Critical response:
-Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy received generally positive reviews. Rotten Tomatoes sampled 206 reviewers and judged 83% of the reviews to be positive. The site summarised the film as "a dense puzzle of anxiety, paranoia, and espionage that director Tomas Alfredson pieces together with utmost skill". Metacritic, which assigns a normalised rating in the 0-100 range based on reviews from top mainstream critics, calculated an average score of 85 based on 42 reviews.
-- Sequel:
-While doing press for Working Title's Les Misérables film adaptation, producer Eric Fellner stated that fellow producer Tim Bevan is working with writer Straughan and director Alfredson on developing a sequel. Fellner did not specify if the sequel will be based on The Honourable Schoolboy or Smiley's People, the two remaining Smiley novels in Le Carré's "Karla Trilogy".
Nice filmed / Exciting / Good acting
½ August 17, 2015
Honestly I found this movie so dense and confusing that I was understandably hampered from enjoying it as a whole. About half-way through I gave up trying to know what was going on and started just enjoying the performances. It didn't hurt that I appropriately watched this in London with a bottle of some British bubbly.
½ August 8, 2015
Good cast. A little hard to follow
August 8, 2015
There is no point trying to understand what is going on: it's all circus, Karla and blank looks. Instead, let the superlative production design, music and direction transport you back to the 70s Hollywood of Klute, The Conversation and All the President's Men. Swedish director Tomas Alfredson erases all memories of the classic 1970s TV series and gets excellent performances from his entire cast. Oldman proves he can rein it in when required and is all the better for it.
August 4, 2015
If you like Gary Oldman and Colin Firth as actors then this film is all you need . Brilliant from start to finish . If you don't get the film then go back to fishing through the bargain bucket at Walmart
½ August 3, 2015
Slow and confusing, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy struggles to expose its purpose
½ July 30, 2015
It's superbly shot and well-plotted, but "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" has minimal payoff in the end.
July 28, 2015
Very good movie. This twisty, paranoia-driven thriller does get too indulged in its own multiple twists and turns, it's still a suspenseful, stylish, well-directed film with great performances, especially Oldman, Firth, Strong and Cumberbatch.
½ July 8, 2015
An understated tale of old-school espionage. The plot deliberately moves at a slow pace, which allows the audience to soak the brilliance of the solid cast.
June 25, 2015
Watching with Chris.
½ June 23, 2015
Very well directed and shot, with a tremendous British cast.
June 17, 2015
Gary Oldman is beyond stellar!
June 14, 2015
a great cold war movie.
June 12, 2015
This movie made absolutely no sense. You people who liked it must be involved in British politics or want to seem cool with your knowledge because this was the most confusing thing I have ever watched. I had to google what the circus was. The entire film I had no idea what I was waiting for. What was the conflict? How was it supposed to end? I just felt like I was waiting for the film to be over instead of waiting for the conflict to be resolved. I think I was no where near smart enough for this movie.