Tiny Furniture - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tiny Furniture Reviews

½ June 23, 2015
This movie reminded me a lot of Frances Ha. Both are comedy-dramas about privileged young women straight out of college who're struggling to get by in New York City, both in their romantic lives and professional lives. It's more than just plot, though; the movies have the same sort of tone and style to them, with no one specific plot, preferring to coast and just follow these women around to watch them as they try to grow up. I think Frances Ha did it a lot better; Frances herself is a more immediately engaging character, and that movie's a lot funnier, with more likable and vivid characters.

I enjoyed Tiny Furniture for the most part, and in the first half-hour or so I'd accepted that it was going to have that loose style. I'd pretty much accepted how I was going to feel about the movie: it wasn't going to make me feel a lot of emotions, but I'd enjoy watching it. I was always a big fan of Girls, so it was funny seeing Alex Karpovsky and Jemima Kirke popping up. Jed had some similarities to Ray from Girls but was ultimately different, less funny and more of a manipulative dick. Charlotte, though, was pretty much exactly like Jessa. And though the film is less outwardly wacky than Girls, there's a lot of similarities in tone. It has a lot of quirky characters that reminded me of Girls characters (Jed seemed like a character who'd be in Girls, but not like Ray), and there's a lot of witty lines that reminded me of the show, too. So overall I was content to just sit back and enjoy the loose hanging out vibe and occasional funny joke without needing a big emotional base.

Around half an hour through the movie, I realized I still had a whole hour left, and I became a little bored throughout the middle section. The loose vibe can work well for a movie that moves a lot like Frances Ha, but this movie occasionally felt lethargic and unfocused, with a lot of subplots that didn't really go anywhere, like with Frankie. I realized that simply delivering a funny line once every few minutes wasn't enough to make me sufficiently enjoy the film when I wasn't really feeling any feelings or getting much thematic depth or character development out of it.

That persisted almost until the end, but I was surprised several times during the movie by some scenes of real poignancy. Pretty much anything that involved Aura, Siri, or Nadine in the movie was a lot more interesting than anything involving tertiary characters like Jed and Keith. There's a real sense of family between these three actresses, which is obviously at least partly because they're family in real life. When Aura blows up at her mom, it shouldn't work very well because it hasn't been telegraphed well enough, but the feeling of realness between them makes it a little more emotional. And all of the emotional scenes work not because they have a strong emotional backing from what have come before them, but because Dunham (as both an actor and a writer) is smart enough to pick up on the smaller details that make them poignant. I really liked, for example, Nadine's reactions upon walking in on Aura's outburst. She sort of just stands and observes, then she giggles a little. It's partly Grace Dunham's performance, but that whole series of reactions just felt really real to me.

So though I grew tired of the romantic subplots and general aimlessness, all the family scenes made up for it. I liked Nadine blowing up at Aura during her party, which similarly kind of came out of nowhere but still hurt to watch because the actors sold the hell out of it. I loved Aura coming into Siri's room, apologizing to her sister, then trying to cuddle with her before being shoved away in a very sisterly fashion. I loved Aura's fascination with her mom's old journals, because I've had that same curiosity about my parents' and grandparents' lives before. And I love the last scene (though the last line seemed kind of abrupt and random to me), which, for some reason, really touched me. A huge part of it is the actors, with Laurie Simmons calmly telling Aura about her younger years and Lena Dunham curiously listening. But it's also the direction, staying tight on Siri's face while allowing us to see Aura leaning over her in anticipation like a little kid. Maybe it's not just those, though. There was just this feeling I got that's hard to explain. It was just...peaceful. Most of the movie wasn't focused or fun enough for me, but in that scene, I cared more about the characters and their relationships than I would've expected from the first half-hour.

I'm increasingly starting to hate grading things because I never know how generous or strict to be. For me, three stars means I thought the movie was 'okay,' not really considering it good enough to say I solidly enjoyed it. Most 'okay' movies I label that way because they're kind of good but just fail to make an impression on me. But Tiny Furniture is kind of different, because while a good portion of it feels longer than necessary and dull, there are certain scenes that DID make an impression on me. That last scene, like I said, was just a scene that clicked with me for whatever reason. Most of the familial scenes were. At this point Lena Dunham's writing and directing chops hadn't been honed into a cohesive form yet, but there's something comforting and nice about looking back at her earliest work and knowing that even there, in her sloppy beginnings, there's something real and powerful there. I'm going to go ahead and say that I really did like this movie, just because that final scene put it over the three-star mark. It left me with a sense of peace, and not every movie can make me feel like that.
June 22, 2015
Certainly this film will not be everyone's cup of tea. But I'm a sucker for movies that are light on plot and heavy on letting us just hang out with some interesting characters for awhile. The dialogue here is so natural I thought perhaps they were simply ad libbing. The chemistry between the mother and daughters is totally real (makes sense -- they are a real family), and the film perfectly captures the that feeling of lacking any direction following graduation from college. It's true that nothing much happens in the film -- it's more about the nature of relationships: renewing old ones, letting friends go, trying out new lovers, choosing the wrong people -- all while trying to figure out what it means to be an adult.
½ June 8, 2015
Argh! Self-loathing and masochistic. Painful to watch.
April 30, 2015
Criticism of Dunham's work usually consists of pointing out the privilege, entitlement, and irritating suspended-adolescence her characters exist within. These criticisms fail to take into account the fact that Dunham imbues her work with these themes intentionally, making it both an exploration of a subculture and an indictment of the ways in which this subculture functions. The transitional period between academia and stability is miserable and unappealing and annoying and it turns people into self-obsessed narcissists; that's exactly what Dunham captures here. "Tiny Furniture" has bizarre moments of humor offset with uncomfortable outbursts from a family with intentionally irritating qualities; if you view the film with this mindset the experience is much more rewarding both comedically and in terms of the insight you gain from these characters' existential musings.
½ April 29, 2015
?irin bir ya?amdan kesit. ÷zellikle dialoglar? ve film g÷ndermelerini sevdim. ve evet, frances ha'n?n biraz daha genš hali gibi :)
April 29, 2015
Though it is not actually a prequel to the HBO show 'Girls', it still plays out like one. And it stars three actors from the show - Dunham, Kirk, & Karpovsky. Written and directed by Lena Dunham - sound familiar. Younger Lena was just as whiny but a little cuter. It's still generally about arrested development in NYC if that's your thing.
April 25, 2015
I really have been getting into Lena Dunham's Girls on HBO and its one of my favorite shows on television right now. So I was interested in checking out Lena's first major film after I got caught up on Girls. It was interesting to see her in a different role (not really that different, but her character wasn't as funny in this) and to see other actors from Girls in this as well. You can definitely see how this film influenced some characters and plots in Girls, but this is more of a straight-forward drama compared to that. Overall this is a film with flaws, but I really liked to see it especially after being a fan of Girls.
March 17, 2015
Like an amazing semi prequel to Girls.
March 15, 2015
This movie triggered a memory: More than half a century ago I was sharing a joint with a fellow student on a park bench and we observed the back of a girl in a full length coat at a distant bus stop. She was gently moving to music inaudible to us and my friend remarked: "They MUST be from another planet; we could never look that great doing this".
March 11, 2015
Twentysomethings in Tribeca 'figuring it out'. Clever screenplay by Lena Dunham.
½ February 17, 2015
A little indie film offered by Lena Dunham. A young woman who proves that she's good at what she have, and proving she can be as successful as her mother and her sister. I thought the first half was alright, meeting old friends and doing their own hobbies and stuffs. Until she comes with a job and meeting new people that maybe solves her depression but then it depresses her even more. I thought the screenplay was good and the execution was alright though the story could have been widened a bit. 3.5/5
½ January 27, 2015
Honestly my favorite part about this film was the cover.

Certain moments of this film really spoke to me. But as the film progressed, I hated Aura more and more. Maybe Dunham wants everyone to hate her (like she does in Girls), but I'm not interested in hating someone for the sake of hating them? Towards the end it just got more and more painful to watch (I was holding my hair, begging for it to end).

There is no way I would ever recommend this to anyone... in fact, I'm a little embarrassed I sat through it...

ON THE OTHER HAND, it showed an honesty exposing the faults some of us have in a way I could probably never capture in my own work. For being able to recognize and understand your self-hating characteristics, I say Bravo.
December 19, 2014
A pre-cursor to her series GIRLS, it might as well have been the pilot. In fact, this film even has some of the same characters and scenes that ended up in the series. I thought about recommending this for fans of the series, but that probably isn't a good idea because this is a less polished version. What probably works better, is if you like this movie then you will undoubtedly enjoy the series....
December 8, 2014
Pretty moving for the stage of life I am in. Hated the ending though.
November 4, 2014
Funny, cute, and very well written. Dunham proves to Hollywood that she can write, direct, and act.
November 1, 2014
WOW.....WOW.....WOW.....WOW....BRILLIANT....FUNNY....AMAZING.....GENIUS.....I HAVE JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A FANTASTIC MOVIE 2 WATCH......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie....I think that Alex Karpovsky, Rachel Howe, Grace Dunham, Laurie Simmons, Lena Dunham, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this comedy movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.....

Filming

The film was shot on the Canon EOS 7D. Filming took place in TriBeCa and Lower Manhattan. The film was shot in November 2009. Dunham says she wrote a "tight script" to which the actors were faithful.

Music

The soundtrack included music by Teddy Blanks of The Gaskets, Domino (Domino Kirke, and Jordan Galland), Rebecca Schiffman and Sonia's Party! & The Everyone's Invited Band. The soundtrack is downloadable for free on the movie website.

Tiny Furniture was released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc in 2012 as part of the Criterion Collection

Lena Dunham won for Best First Screenplay at the 2010 Independent Spirit Awards

I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch.....

It premiered at South by Southwest, where it won Best Narrative Feature, screened at such festivals as Maryland Film Festival, and was released theatrically in the United States on November 12, 2010. Dunham's own mother, the artist Laurie Simmons, plays Aura's mother, while her real sister, Grace, plays Aura's on-screen sibling. The actors Jemima Kirke and Alex Karpovsky would also appear in Dunham's television series Girls.

its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.....man this is such a really funny movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, it is such an enjoyable comedy movie 2 watch....it is such a funny movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch, it is such a powerful drama movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a great movie 2 watch, it is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch, with a great cast throughout this movie......
½ October 29, 2014
Girls, but 10x better.
½ September 29, 2014
A little indie film offered by Lena Dunham. All I see is a struggle of a young woman who proves that she's good at what she have right now and to prove that she can be as successful as her mother and her sister. I thought the first half was alright, meeting old friends and making stuff. Until she comes with a job and meeting new people that maybe solves her depression but then it worsen her struggles more. I thought the screenplay was good and the execution was alright though the story could have been widened a bit. We know it's indie so it's what we get. She could be a good director doing a drama comedy in big time in the next future. I can see that.
September 21, 2014
Good cinematography, but pretty diectionless. And no, not in the way that it's a metaphor for how Aura's life is. Lacking in whole ideas.
September 20, 2014