Titicut Follies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Titicut Follies Reviews

½ January 20, 2019
Agreed with the "time capsule" idea of this film. It seems that's the point of this, just to critic how messed up the way authorities treated prisoners in the place shown.
September 21, 2015
Operating as a horrifying indictment of the ways in which the US government treated people suffering from mental illnesses back in the 60s, Titicut depicts several atrocities, including guards forcing the residents to perform for their amusement, patients being herded like cattle and set out to wander around the grounds, the denying of treatments that are expensive, doctors force-feeding those who refuse to do so themselves, guards taunting the people they're supposed to be protecting as they wander around without clothes, and the imprisonment of those clearly suffering from mild forms of mental illness who have no business being there. This brutal honesty places Titicut Follies among that special class of documentaries that unearth painful truths about the immense failings of our moral and governmental systems, this example made even more unnerving given the fact that the government tried for decades to destroy any evidence that would prove this film ever existed.
May 11, 2015
This controversial documentary was banned for many years. Originally, family of the patients in the insane asylum objected to how their incarcerated family was portrayed and exploited in the film. Later it was discovered that this was just a ploy so that the filmmaker couldn't release the movie. He did, in fact, get consent from the family members. Instead, it was the faculty that was nervous at how they were portrayed in screen, quite often very abusive and unsympathetic to the patients needs. In the end, it's a document about insanity. People who are psychotic, in denial, abnormally quiet, extremely angry or just plain weird. A scary portrait on a time, place and a people who are still sadly relevant.
September 22, 2014
[Interested: cannot find.]
July 22, 2014
An incredibly powerful documentary, free of narration, that will knock your legs out from under you and then repeatedly kick/stomp on you while you're down on the ground. A movie that you are guaranteed to remember for the rest of your life.
March 29, 2014
I am truly speechless.
½ November 7, 2013
I have seen cinéma vérité (truthful cinema) style films before, but none quite like Titicut Follies. Wiseman included very little editing so it's as if the film is raw footage, but the little that he did made an impact. The non-existing narration says so much by letting the shocking visuals speak for themselves. He added suspense and emphasis without much editing, such as the scene where a man was being fed through a tube in his nose. Wiseman used close-ups, cross-cutting with shots of that same inmate later being prepped for burial with very little natural sound, and allowed the scene to drag on and on, creating suspense. He put so much emphasis on the dehumanization of the inmates by having many scenes that seemed to go on forever, like the scene where the inmates are stripped and forced to stand naked with groups of others. It went on forever, which only made it harder to watch. These were real people, and the fact that they weren't even able to give consent to being filmed makes the dehumanization that much worse. I praise Wiseman for being willing to cross that line to bring attention to this subject and I admire this film for its raw truth-telling, but I don't feel comfortable with the lack of consent, so I can't rate it higher than 4.5 stars.
½ January 21, 2013
Highlight for me was the doctor with the smoke hanging out with the ash that just wouldn't fall off, no matter how much he spoke or moved!
January 14, 2013
AMAZING documentary... It's so shockingly real that you want it to be fiction...
December 24, 2012
One of those great films that I may never want to watch again (like United 93) because it just peers almost TOO harsh with a camera-of-truth on to what went on in a hospital like the Bridgewater mental institution for the criminally insane in 1966. Think the Maysles doing a remake of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (the book, not the movie) - we see the basics of the goings on at the hospital, how they are let out into the yard to kind of putter about, maybe at best a baseball and catcher's mitt, and then are given regular shavings, food (whether by the patient's choice or by forced-tube depends on how one reacts after such a time of, you know, electro-shocks and whatnot), and are belittled by the staff.

I should look at this as objectively as possible, since in a sense director Frederick Wiseman is doing the same. He does employ some storytelling devices, such as cross-cutting (in a very effective if totally depressing set-piece of a sort) when the one patient we see, half-starved and half out-of-it, is force-fed with that tube and then, some time later, that patient being shaved and brushed up... as he is dead and getting ready for burial. That was one of the great shocks in the film for me to see that, and for a brief moment I felt Wiseman crack his otherwise mostly coldly clinical lens on the proceedings to strike a point: you go in there, there's a very good chance you'll die. For not too brief moments, a holocaust vibe can almost be felt. At least for me.

Maybe the power of Titicut Follies is that everyone who comes to it will see something different. You think that these guys in this mental hospital-cum-prison deserve to be here? Hey, why not treat them like the scum they are? But does that give the prison guards the right to, for example, taunt a patient about cleaning up his room when there's more likely than not *nothing* wrong with his room, and just waiting like a hot poker on a dog for him to snap? Maybe to work in a place like this you gotta go a little nutso yourself; certainly a doctor, either Greek or Romanian or something, is either not really qualified to be a doctor with the kinds of questions he asks, or is a little crazy himself when asking another patient about his homosexual acts as a child in the boy scouts. Did this contribute to his schizophrenia? Who cares? We must, I think is clear.

In the specific scheme of things, in terms of modern history, Titicut Follies is now a bit dated. Thanks (or in some part no thanks) to Ronald Regan in the 1980's, facilities like this were shut down, in large part to their mismanagement and barbarism, but also because of new pharmaceutical drugs that DID help much better than, say, Thorazine or electro-shocks. At the same time it can also be argued that, you know, more of these hospitals today might keep such psychpathic killers like Adam Lanza and James Holmes away from automatic weapons. That's another kettle of fish. But really, when it comes down to it, this is a time-capsule, a look into this very specific time in history (the kind that, by the way, does have scenes of patients talking, not too un-lucidly, about Vietnam and what Communism means, a striking moment any way you look at it) that was shot and edited to elicit SOME kind of reaction. The worst thing of all is if you leave the film without any kind of reaction, the same indifference bureocratic nothings give to such patients and/or prisoners that need some kind of better care than seen here.

But in the bigger picture, as it were, the film still resonates because so many systems, all across the world, have this kind of problem. Not enough care, too much care in the wrong places, and just the attention to human decency in what people do in a system. It can be a mental hospital or it can be just a trip to the DMV. How people are treated, even those that don't seem to have clear idea always of what their doing, makes a difference. Seeing the half-surreal scenes of the 'Titicut Follies' of the title bring this to light: this should be good for these people, and maybe for a few minutes for some of the people singing (at one point in the middle a couple of inmates have a duet) it brings happiness. Yet I can't escape the feeling that this is also part and parcel of the whole manipulation: if they are animals to be tamed and controlled, as if beasts out of a wild cage (or like some of the side characters in Scorsese's Shutter Island), then maybe a little vaudeville will snap them into something that, well, is entertaining more for US than THEM. At the end when the nurses moon the audience, the whole scene feels crazy, like as if we've taken the madness along with them. And then it cuts to black. Splash of reality all over.

Titicut Follies isn't a perfect film, some scenes drag and may feel 'dull' by conventional standards. Fine. Life has those moments as well. In a sense I can see where the censors who banned the film were coming from, in terms of 'invasion of privacy' and so on. We DO see too much. I felt unclean by the end of this. For Wiseman, he may have invaded their privacy. Whether it was for some greater good he was achieving, or to just get it all down on celluloid, like some kind of cinematic anthropologist, he accomplished what he set out to do. You can never 'un-see' a film like this, and that's the point. Even the black and white serves a purpose, and has the same kind of harsh 'truth' style of a Night & Fog by Resnais. It's an unpleasant masterpiece of documentation.
November 4, 2012
Thrilling. Terrifying. You can't take your eyes off it.
August 17, 2012
Still have yet to see this movie...to tell you the truth...I'm quite scared. O.o
August 3, 2012
No feature film I've seen about an "insane saylum" has had the same impact as this documentary, the power of which lies in its almost nonchalant approach - it is simply a filming of fact, without hysteria or manipulation.
July 11, 2012
Shocking and full of precious footages, Titicus Follies it's a unique vision of tormented minds. An impacting film, which it's very important in all the years. Wiseman's disturbing documentary presents a terrific theme and teach to re-educate the psychologic system and the respect to the other person. Fresh.
½ June 29, 2012
Invaluable look into the culture of mental institutions in the mid-60s, this documentary is one of Wiseman's most famous.
February 13, 2012
It is an amazing documentary about dark days in Psychiatry. As I said to my colleagues - there is no way such thing could be happening nowadays!
January 18, 2012
David Lynch had a nightmare. Somebody taped it.
January 2, 2012
Difficult (if possible) to judge documentary. I appreciate directors decision to remain objective and not to interrupt the course of the film with his opinions, editing or sound. Important and not easy to watch piece.
October 21, 2011
Subject matter is terrible but everyone should see how conditions were or can be in mental facilities. Not a feel good documentary but one to make you think.