To All the Boys I've Loved Before - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

To All the Boys I've Loved Before Reviews

½ September 19, 2018
I can't believe it has such a high score! Absolutely cheesy and brought nothing new to the table....
September 19, 2018
I didn't hate it, and for being a teen rom-com it's pretty passable. It's really nothing out of the ordinary, though it does have a good ensemble. The story and how everything develops is aggressively predictable.
September 17, 2018
Typical teen love story. I enjoyed it.
September 16, 2018
Inconsequential, but highly likable teen rom-com about a girl who's private love letters are made public to all her crushes. She convinces her current crush that the letters doesn't mean a thing and then pretends to go out with an old crush to make her current crush jealous, while her old crush is going out with her to make a friends of her's jealous. It's an utterly predictable and familiar rom-com plot, but a major distinguishing factor in this version of this familiar story is that instead of a blond haired, blue eyed Alicia Silverstone-type of actress in the lead, there's a cute Asian girl in the lead. Being Asian myself, I love seeing Asian characters in non-stereotypical roles (Long Duk Dong from "Sixteen Candles is pretty much every Asian character of the 80s and 90s), so seeing a person of color as the romanic lead and going after a non-Asian Jake Ryan type of character is downright novel! My other favorite recent Asian-stereotype busting role was Reggie on the Riverdale TV series, where we get to see an Asian character playing a jock bully, which is pretty much the polar opposite of the nerdy 80s Asian stereotype we primarily see on film and TV. But I digress. Even if this film had a 1980s Molly Ringwald in the lead, "To All the Boys I've Loved Before" would still have been a highly likable film. It's nothing brilliant, but a cute Asian lead added novelty value to an unpretentiously entertaining film.
September 16, 2018
I'm obsessed with this movie. Is sweet and funny. Very teenager.
September 15, 2018
I just love it so much!
September 14, 2018
The movie stole my heart and left me waiting for the next movie!!!
½ September 14, 2018
one the best Rom-coms ever made. it really is that good. amazing cast.
½ September 13, 2018
Strengths: One of the most crucial things for a romantic comedy to nail is to have a strong cast. Luckily, this one features a charming cast from top to bottom. Lana Condor (Lara Jean) is likable and relatable as the lead. Her chemistry with Noah Centineo (Peter) is a highlight of the movie. It's stronger than what Centineo had in one of his other Netflix movies with that lead. Anna Cathcart (Kitty) is fun as the little sister, while John Corbett (Dr. Covey) nails the cool, yet sincere and caring father role. His scene with his daughter in the restaurant where he hung out with her mom is a great one. It manages to pay homage to some of the great teen rom-coms of the past. I appreciated that the movie didn't attempt to shoehorn in all five boys who got letters. It would've crowded the film. Instead, it focused on two, with a third playing a friend role. Though the writer didn't do much in terms of originality, she injected the characters with enough charm and relatability to overcome it all.

Weaknesses: With a teen romantic comedy, we've kind of seen it all. It's nearly impossible to come up with something super original in this genre. This movie can't help but fall into the cliché pitfalls of the genre. You've got the expected character types and the beats all feel very familiar. There are many conversations between the characters that truly feel like they're just there to fill time. Not much in terms of big time character building and some of it feels generic.

Overall: It struggles to shake off the clichés of its genre, but the movie makes up for it with the cast and characters. It's a fun movie, with a heartwarming story that does just enough to make it stand out in the crowded field.
September 13, 2018
I was ready to hate this. It is cheesy but it's adorable and the cast are charming. It was so very pleasant
September 12, 2018
Not surprising or new, but To All The Boys I've Loved Before boasts an incredible cast of charming and charismatic characters matched with a vibrant color scheme to elevate it above its peers in a heavily saturated genre.
September 12, 2018
Best romcom of this generation
September 11, 2018
The movie starts promisingly, then falls into a series of overused cliches. The only reason I didn't get bored out of my mind in the last act is that the cast was just likable enough that I wanted to make sure they got the happy ending they had coming.
September 10, 2018
While the movie was generally entertaining, it is very disappointing if you have read the books.

Overall, a fine teen romance.
½ September 10, 2018
A teen coming of age that surpasses Sixteen Candles, although borrowing from it slightly with that hand in the back pocket routine. I did find the girl's love interest a little too good of a guy to be true, since he has the maturity to break through the popular crowd he's a part of to demonstrate his maturity and love. And what's up with that video of the jacuzzi make-out scene? Who filmed it, the jilted girlfriend? Not sure that was necessary because it seems to violate the leading girl's moral code. The script was a bit convoluted because, at the beginning, I didn't know which sister was with the boy next door. Once I figured that out it went fine. Interesting conflicts with the sisters makes this flick worth watching. The youngest sister steals the show at times.
½ September 10, 2018
To All the Boys I've Loved Before (2018) proves that you don't need an original script to make a film truly heart-warming. Boy/Girl high school coming-of-age movies have been butchered to death over the last decade, with a few exceptions. What makes these exceptions great is the fact that they simply made what works even better.

Director Susan Johnson (Carrie Pilby) made a simple film, with a simple premise. Johnson placed an out of ordinary family (Asian American, very rarely seen in U.S Films) and presented a lead character that was not only completely appealing but would demand your love and affection.

Lana Condor (X-Men Apocalypse), playing Lara Jean, exudes appeal from both males and females alike. Attention will immediately draw to her as she steps on screen, like a sunflower amongst a sea of cheeseburgers. Her friendly demeanour mixed with her off-beat dialogue immediately attracts you to Lara Jean, or Lana Condor, I am still unsure.

It's a story based around Lara Jean only loving 5 boys in her life, and instead of telling them she would write letters and never send them out. Until one day, her little sister Kitty (Anna Cathcart, Descendants) decides that Lara Jean would have a better chance of getting a boyfriend if she sent them out behind her back.

After finding out that the letters of mass destruction were sent out, Lara Jean becomes mortified, especially when finding out that one of her secreted letters was sent out to her older sister Margot's (Janel Parrish, Pretty Little Liars) ex-boyfriend Josh (Israel Broussard, The Bling Ring).

In order from stopping an awkward conversation with Josh, and not letting her sister, who now lives overseas, from finding out, she organises a quid pro quo with another fellow letter recipient Peter (Noah Centineo, The Fosters). This exchange was based upon the idea that they become a fake couple, which to the audience makes enough sense to be reputable but also seems a little bit of the stretch.

The ending will play out as you expect but it still doesn't make it any less fulfilling, especially due to the Lana Condor performance.

This is not to diminish the value of the outlying characters; from the strong older sister Margot, to the compassionate and caring Father (John Corbet, My Big Fat Greek Wedding), to the charismatic little sister Kitty. Even the male leads, Josh and Peter, were something to be desired. But as soon as Lara Jean walked into picture they were simply outliers in a Lara Centric film.

Thus a quick glance over this film can easily be disposed of rather quickly. Writer Sofia Alvarez (Man Seeking Woman), based on the novel by Jenny Han, poses story beats which are familiar and sequences which are bland but are brought into full colour as it leverages off its star and cannot be critiqued through negative eyes because of it.
September 9, 2018
This incredibly charming gem revolves around an interesting plot that follows almost every single teen rom-com cliché, but the valid performances and the lovable characters makes "To all the boys" one of this year's best movies.
September 9, 2018
This is my favorite Rom-Com and maybe my favoire monvie! It's really funny and a lot of cute monets that I cannot get over. AND PETER K OMG!!!!!!!!!!
½ September 9, 2018
Nowhere near as good as the books. It lacks in every way possible. Also find it kinda disappointing that for a film about a Korean girl and her family, not one character was Korean.
September 8, 2018
I LOVE THIS MOVIE: it restored my faith in humanity after watching the kissing booth