To Each His Own - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

To Each His Own Reviews

October 23, 2009
I have loved this movie from the first time I watched it. Tissue box must be at the ready for this one!
September 23, 2009
Olivia De Havilland plays a woman Josehpine Norris, during world war I who meets a man shortly, gets prengant but people found it selfish of her to have baby with no father so she gets convonced to adopt her son to a poor woman who has recently lost her baby. Time goes and Josephine sees her biological son regularly but not as a his mother. Her son's legal mother turns out to be a hag.

Good acting from Olivia De Havilland. So good actually that she won an oscar for her performance as the (rather pathetic) mother. It was a little bit too much melodrama for me in this movie to fully like it. And I didn't like the way things turned. For example I didn't like how the lead victimized herself, and stopped to contact her son and didn't do so until the end (very typical). Except for the really good acting I find it hard to motivate the two hours.
I'd recommend Kitty Foyle, The Great Lie, The Old Maid and Torch Singer in stead if you haven't already seen them.
August 24, 2009
De Havilland is great in this good drama.
½ June 24, 2009
This is the movie that won Olivia de Havilland her first Oscar! I'm sad to say that this movie has not played on TV for over 5 years and it is not available on DVD.
This movie is a wonderful tearjerker! It's about a young girl in a small town who has an affair with a WWI pilot and becomes pregnant as a result. She conspires to "adopt" her son without anyone knowing he's hers but the plan goes awry and he is adopted by another family, forcing her to watch him grow up from afar. You feel so much for de Havilland's character and every time she cries about her son, it makes you cry too. I love this movie and want to watch it again.
May 8, 2009
Good film starring Olivia de Havilland as a woman who falls in love with a WWI pilot, he dies, and she has his child. Of course, after some trouble later on, she is unable to keep the son but is determined to spend as much time with him as possible. Not a terribly interesting story, but de Havilland carries it and she gives a very nice performance. I also really loved Roland Culver, I wish he was in it more. It had a lovely ending as well, even if it was a bit too perfect. Worth checking out.
February 19, 2009
A woman's movie tear-jerker; but it's so damn good. La de Haviland one a best actress Oscar for this performance.
January 18, 2009
Olivia de Havilland, Best Actress, 1946, as "Jody Norris" in "To Each His Own".
December 6, 2008
a beautiful melodramatic love story, but a very different type of a love story, not one of a man and a woman but a story of mother and son. olivia de havilland gives the most beautiful performance of her career,she is so moving as a woman who has to be in the shadows of her only son's life
September 27, 2008
A bit overbearingly melodramatic at times, but earnest and surprisingly moving. Though the story spans decades and continents, it's so intimate it feels like a smaller story. This is a good thing.
June 30, 2008
Of Olivia de Havilland's two Oscar-winning roles, her performance in To Each His Own so far outshines the one in The Heiress, there's literally no contest. From foolhardy small town girl to jaded, lonely woman in wartorn London, she strikes every note beautifully as Jody Norris. And the big moment in the last few minutes of film is just beautiful. The very definition of a tearjerker. To Each His Own is like a secret classic no one knows about.
December 11, 2007
This is the most melodramatic movie I have ever seen! I love it regardless, but honestly its the prototypical chick flick that spans two world wars: a woman falls in love with a pilot and they spend a passionate night together, he goes off to war and dies, she finds out she's pregnant and conspires to keep the baby without damning her reputation, her scheme backfires and the plot thickens. They meet years later... he's a pilot and she's conflicted over whether or not to disclose her secret... dum dum dum
November 26, 2007
This is a corny old school movie. It sucks you in with out realizing. I love this movie. And Oliva de Havilland is one of my favorite actresses.
November 22, 2007
Very touching and well made movie with a magnificant sentimental ending. Wish more movies today were as well written.
½ July 27, 2007
wonderful actress...excellent movie.....check it out..
July 19, 2007
All CLASSICS are GOOD
July 6, 2007
This s a good movie and it has a lovely ending. Another favourite of my Mom's.. she got me hooked on all the old movies.
½ July 15, 2005
THIS SOAPY MELODRAMA, WON OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND HER FIRST OSCAR. SHE'S QUITE GOOD, BUT DON'T THINK HER PERFORMANCE IS OSCAR WINNING MATERIAL. THE STORY IS ABOUT AN UNWED MOTHER HAVING TO GIVE UP HER CHILD. WELL ENOUGH DONE.