To Have and Have Not - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

To Have and Have Not Reviews

½ June 14, 2016
The first movie with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall is not all it is cracked up to be. I wanted to like it more than I did, but was mostly bored and uninterested in the plot. I don't understand the comparison to Casablanca. Other than a similar setting, and Bogart, the two couldn't be more different. (First and only viewing - 6/14/2016)
May 8, 2016
The movie would be amazing even if you didn't know that it's where Bacall and Bogart met and fell in love. Add in the backstory, though, from Lauren Bacall's first memoir and it takes on a dimension that makes it unbelievably romantic. The real life romance shines through the on-screen in every look shared between the two leads.
April 16, 2016
Just saw this movie recently. Very good. Humphrey Bogart..... cool as ever
April 12, 2016
The legendary first meeting of Bogart and Bacall seems to be Casablanca-lite in many respects and while this film cannot surpass that one, it is still very enjoyable.
January 1, 2016
An absolute classic, Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall are both fantastic and have fantastic chemistry in Howard Hawks' To Have and Have Not. Great writing, great characterization, and all-around impressive direction, combine to ensure that To Have and Have Not stands the test of time. A classic in every sense of the word, the film is just as good as it was when it came out.
½ December 27, 2015
To Have and Have Not is an unfocused and unremarkable romance carried by genuine chemistry and off-screen legend.
Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall first met and fell in love on set of Howard Hawks' wartime classic, and their infatuation with one another simmers in every shared scene; which, sadly, are few and far between. The duo's exchanges rise above the mediocre melodrama which characterises the rest of Hawk's film: a not-so-fine-tuned fairytale torn between capitalising on the likes of Casablanca and introducing and exploring wistful subplots.
Bogie's bone-dry wit and Bacall's devilish glare are a recipe for some of the best sexual tension in 1940s cinema - and producers quickly latched onto this following the film's release. Both actors have made better pictures since, but will always be best remembered for that iconic 'whistle' scene. Hawks has gifted us a great on-screen pairing, but this muddy film has little to offer once the whistling fades.
December 9, 2015
Found a Bogart and Bacall I haven't seen!
½ August 30, 2015
A Bogart-Bacall classic.

Martinique in the Caribbean, 1940. France has fallen to Germany and the
Vichy French are now in charge of the island. An American, Harry Morgan
(played by Humphrey Bogart) runs a charter boat and is determined to
stay out of politics and not get involved in the war. However, there
are Free French sympathisers and agents who would dearly like his help.
To make things more complicated, a beautiful American woman, Marie
"Slim" Browning (played by Lauren Bacall) keeps drifting across his
path...

An excellent drama, based on the Ernest Hemingway novel and directed by
Howard Hawks. Solid, intriguing plot. Does resemble Casablanca at times
- at one point I thought it was just Casablanca transported to the
Caribbean - but ultimately differentiates itself quite well from that
other classic Bogart movie.

Has the legendary Humphrey Bogart smoothness and coolness. Lauren
Bacall is great in her film debut - cool, beautiful, stylish and
doesn't take a backward step to Bogart. This would be the first of many
collaborations between the two. Moreover, they would marry a year after
the movie was released...

Cast also includes Hoagy Carmichael as the bar's singer / band- leader,
Cricket.

Only two negative aspects. One is the Eddie character - quite irritating at
times. Him and his flaws are necessary to the plot, however. Walter
Brennan did a decent job playing him, but every time he appeared I lost
some interest in the scene.

The other negative is that the Bogart-Bacall dialogue battles sometimes
felt overdone. There are some terrific quotes and word plays but it's
as if the writer or director didn't know when to stop.

These are minor issues, however, in what is a fantastic movie.
August 7, 2015
A Hawksien Casablanca ripoff with a poor Bogey fighting Vichy, but a drunkenly awesome Walter Brennan for fun.
½ July 16, 2015
I dont get this movie. I dont get the story, i dont get the dialogue, i dont get that famous whistle scene. Humphrey Bogart was too passive, Lauren Bacall was cool but too serious. Also i know they were together in real life but i can't get over the 25 year age gap. I didn't like their chemistry.
½ July 16, 2015
I'm still not exactly sure of the plot details of this movie - who "Frenchie" is and why he needed Captain Bogie's help - but it doesn't matter. The Martinique hotel with it's smoky piano bar is a great backdrop to the romance between Steve and Slim.
July 2, 2015
Really loved this movie. Bogart and Bacall are fantastic in it. The drunk guy is a bit over acted in it but overall its a brilliant film with some great lines.
July 1, 2015
This is one of my favorite movies of all time. And just look at the credits if you wonder why. Hemingway, Faulker and Howard Hawks behind the camera and the sizzling electric chemistry between Bogie and Bacall. She was not even twenty when this movie was filmed and it catapulted her into what was to be a long career. This is the first Bogie/Bacall collaboration and is full of famous lines, When I watch it, I cannot avoid comparing it to contemporary cinema. The understated sexuality is much hotter than any of the explicit exchibitionism that we see routinely now.
May 25, 2015
The interplay between Bogart and Bacall is almost too fun to be believed. I was told that the director actually really liked her, but Humphrey totally bogarted Lauren ;)
April 12, 2015
I watched this today, considered one of my blind spots in my Classic movie watching. Terrific! Bogart and Bacall were wonderful. Walter Brennan, brilliant as usual. I was slightly disappointed in the ending, which is why it doesn't get five stars, but overall I enjoyed it very much and can understand why Bogart is considered a genuine movie star!
March 27, 2015
Layered with magnetism to spare and a cool, wry screenplay, To Have And Have Not shines bright thanks to its talented leading players, but even Humphrey Bogart cannot match up to Lauren Bacall here, who sizzles with a sly wit and burns with a passion and a charisma you wouldn't find anywhere else.
February 21, 2015
Bacall owns this film, the stars are mostly for her. The chemistry between her and Bogart is palpable and enjoyable to watch. Rips off Casablanca A LOT and has little to do with the book it is based on, but it's perfect Sunday afternoon viewing.
January 18, 2015
Una pareja explosiva Bogart y Bacall , protagonizan una simple historia en una gran película.
January 11, 2015
Lauren Bacall is sure a headturner. Otherwise, this is mostly the same plot as Casablanca, but Casablanca is better.
January 8, 2015
Hemingway's story, Faulkner's screenplay and Bogart & Bacall acting. Great!