To Have and Have Not - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

To Have and Have Not Reviews

½ August 9, 2017
It's atmospheric enough and Bogart and Bacall have good chemistry. It's certainly no Casablanca though - despite the thematic similarities.
August 6, 2017
Some great on-sreen chemistry, and Hawks finely develops the romance between the starlet real-life couple.
July 27, 2017
It's okay. Extremely derivative of Casablanca. I was not as impressed with Lauren Bacall as I think I was supposed to be. But it is a passable yarn. 6.1 out of 10
Antonius Block
May 28, 2017
'To Have and Have Not' is far from perfect. It's derivative of Casablanca from two years earlier, includes a character who quickly becomes annoying (Walter Brennan, who plays a toper), is implausible in places, and has little to do with the novel by Ernest Hemingway. On the other hand, it was 19-year-old Lauren Bacall's first film, and she displays a sultriness and presence not often seen in someone so young. Bogart is also strong as the fishing boat skipper in Martinique who wants nothing to do with politics or the French resistance, but finds himself drawn into events as they unfold. He's gritty, tough, and real, and has a couple of fantastic scenes with Bacall, where their chemistry is apparent despite him being 25 years older, including the one where she so famously says to him "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and ... blow." I also liked musical performances led by Hoagy Carmichael, though Bacall's singing in the numbers she was in was pretty awkward. Like I said, it's not perfect, but it is solid and entertaining, and as the start of 'Bogie and Bacall', has a place in film history.
May 6, 2017
It's a little too slow and cool on the draw for my tastes, but with the help of a thrilling final act, some true-to-life chemistry between both Bogey and Bacall, and an always welcomed, show-stealing performance from that of Walter Brennan, "To Have And Have Not" just manages to push past the par set by many other studio-era novel adaptations.
½ February 26, 2017
Good movie, but not at all like the book, from what I've heard. I love Lauren Bacall.
January 1, 2017
The Bluray restoration is quite good tho' perhaps not quite as good as the superb restoration of "Casablana."

This film gets it done just watching the (somewhat contrived) sparks with Bogey & Bacall knowing this is where it all began for them. Bacall seems both young & not up to Bogey and, at other times, beyond her years, sultry & svelte. Surprised her singing bits weren't overdubbed yet glad they weren't. A good, old movie watch ... Enjoy! Smoking never looked more seductive!
December 3, 2016
Hawks handles Film Noire well... Everyone is in top form. On Blu-ray.
½ August 9, 2016
Bacall exudes a lot of magnetism and sensuality in her debut on the screen, a decent sort-of-rip-off of Casablanca - based on Hemingway and co-written by William Faulkner no less - that relies on a strong chemistry between her and Bogart in their first of four films together.
½ June 14, 2016
The first movie with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall is not all it is cracked up to be. I wanted to like it more than I did, but was mostly bored and uninterested in the plot. I don't understand the comparison to Casablanca. Other than a similar setting, and Bogart, the two couldn't be more different. (First and only viewing - 6/14/2016)
May 8, 2016
The movie would be amazing even if you didn't know that it's where Bacall and Bogart met and fell in love. Add in the backstory, though, from Lauren Bacall's first memoir and it takes on a dimension that makes it unbelievably romantic. The real life romance shines through the on-screen in every look shared between the two leads.
April 16, 2016
Just saw this movie recently. Very good. Humphrey Bogart..... cool as ever
April 12, 2016
The legendary first meeting of Bogart and Bacall seems to be Casablanca-lite in many respects and while this film cannot surpass that one, it is still very enjoyable.
January 1, 2016
An absolute classic, Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall are both fantastic and have fantastic chemistry in Howard Hawks' To Have and Have Not. Great writing, great characterization, and all-around impressive direction, combine to ensure that To Have and Have Not stands the test of time. A classic in every sense of the word, the film is just as good as it was when it came out.
½ December 27, 2015
To Have and Have Not is an unfocused and unremarkable romance carried by genuine chemistry and off-screen legend.
Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall first met and fell in love on set of Howard Hawks' wartime classic, and their infatuation with one another simmers in every shared scene; which, sadly, are few and far between. The duo's exchanges rise above the mediocre melodrama which characterises the rest of Hawk's film: a not-so-fine-tuned fairytale torn between capitalising on the likes of Casablanca and introducing and exploring wistful subplots.
Bogie's bone-dry wit and Bacall's devilish glare are a recipe for some of the best sexual tension in 1940s cinema - and producers quickly latched onto this following the film's release. Both actors have made better pictures since, but will always be best remembered for that iconic 'whistle' scene. Hawks has gifted us a great on-screen pairing, but this muddy film has little to offer once the whistling fades.
December 9, 2015
Found a Bogart and Bacall I haven't seen!
½ August 30, 2015
A Bogart-Bacall classic.

Martinique in the Caribbean, 1940. France has fallen to Germany and the
Vichy French are now in charge of the island. An American, Harry Morgan
(played by Humphrey Bogart) runs a charter boat and is determined to
stay out of politics and not get involved in the war. However, there
are Free French sympathisers and agents who would dearly like his help.
To make things more complicated, a beautiful American woman, Marie
"Slim" Browning (played by Lauren Bacall) keeps drifting across his
path...

An excellent drama, based on the Ernest Hemingway novel and directed by
Howard Hawks. Solid, intriguing plot. Does resemble Casablanca at times
- at one point I thought it was just Casablanca transported to the
Caribbean - but ultimately differentiates itself quite well from that
other classic Bogart movie.

Has the legendary Humphrey Bogart smoothness and coolness. Lauren
Bacall is great in her film debut - cool, beautiful, stylish and
doesn't take a backward step to Bogart. This would be the first of many
collaborations between the two. Moreover, they would marry a year after
the movie was released...

Cast also includes Hoagy Carmichael as the bar's singer / band- leader,
Cricket.

Only two negative aspects. One is the Eddie character - quite irritating at
times. Him and his flaws are necessary to the plot, however. Walter
Brennan did a decent job playing him, but every time he appeared I lost
some interest in the scene.

The other negative is that the Bogart-Bacall dialogue battles sometimes
felt overdone. There are some terrific quotes and word plays but it's
as if the writer or director didn't know when to stop.

These are minor issues, however, in what is a fantastic movie.
August 7, 2015
A Hawksien Casablanca ripoff with a poor Bogey fighting Vichy, but a drunkenly awesome Walter Brennan for fun.
½ July 16, 2015
I dont get this movie. I dont get the story, i dont get the dialogue, i dont get that famous whistle scene. Humphrey Bogart was too passive, Lauren Bacall was cool but too serious. Also i know they were together in real life but i can't get over the 25 year age gap. I didn't like their chemistry.
½ July 16, 2015
I'm still not exactly sure of the plot details of this movie - who "Frenchie" is and why he needed Captain Bogie's help - but it doesn't matter. The Martinique hotel with it's smoky piano bar is a great backdrop to the romance between Steve and Slim.