To Please a Lady - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

To Please a Lady Reviews

January 6, 2013
I can't decide which was my favourite part: when Gable slaps then forcefully kisses Stanwyck or later on when Stanwyck gleefully says " you wanna hit me again?!" as a form of flirtation. Why are all of the women in Gable pictures such morons? Even the great racing sequences can't make up for the casual misogyny or general dopiness of the story.
December 12, 2012
good chem between stanwyck and gable.
October 26, 2010
This movie has it's moments, but overall it's just another predictable love story with a bit of race car driving to make it exciting.
August 26, 2010
Okay, maybe this movie is a little bit corny, but I can't help it. I love it. I think Gable and Stanwyck actually have good chemistry. Her steeliness is a good foil to his magnetism. She plays wealthy and glamorous (again) and he plays reckless and dashing rogue.
½ February 12, 2010
To Please a Lady (1950)

Probably best known as the second movie where Gable slaps Stanwyck. This time, it wasn't as well received as their first movie. Clark Gable plays old fashioned Indy racer, Mike Brannan who's involved in a fatal accident and kicked out of professional racing. Barbara Stanwyck plays Regina Forbes, a columnist who was instrumental in drumming Mike out of the business.

Mike must make do with what he's got. He goes underground and races under an alias, but soon Regina finds him and the sparks begin to fly. Stanwyck is beginning to play her older woman roles, where she a hard as nails business woman with a soft heart. Gable is just being Gable.

This is actually kind of a cool movie for classic racing fans. You get to see the some great open-wheeled midget race scenes including the legendary Mauri Rose driving his Novi and Joey Chitwood's famous stunt car show. But, other than that, it's just your standard faire.

It's worth a watch though.
½ February 23, 2009
Stanwyck is brilliant and beautiful as always in this strong and energetic role while Gable is the typical man's man.