To Rome with Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

To Rome with Love Reviews

July 7, 2015
I don't really get all the hate for this movie. I really liked it and thought it was better than Blue Jasmine and Magic in the Moonlight. One of the things I didn't get was Alec Baldwin's character. If you watch it you'll see what I mean, like you think he's in Jesse Eisenberg's head but they established him as a character earlier so I don't really get it. He just kinda follows him around and giving advice but it seems like only Jesse can hear but then in other scenes other characters talk to him so I don't know. This is what you'll expect from Woody Allen and I suggest checking it out.
May 30, 2015
Woody Allen's cheeky Roman romance offers commentary on the likes of celebrity status, infidelity and love. Yet the whole endeavour feels flat, frivolous and achingly familiar. The film is beautifully shot and full of feel-good farce, but it's rarely ever laugh-out-loud funny, realistic or even interesting.
Allen's vignettes spin round in circles, trying to, but never quite, overlapping or offering anything really original. To make things worse, it's hard to shake the impression that Allen wrote this script eons ago, chucked it in a box, and recently rediscovered it during a 2012 clear-out. Empty, star-studded garbage.
½ May 16, 2015
A very messy combination of stories that each, on its own, could be told within 10 minutes with some excitement of their own.
½ April 21, 2015
Woody Allen at his worst.
Benigni is even more irritating than usual.
The story with Alec Balwin has no reason to be.
A bad one.
April 10, 2015
As Roger Ebert states, it's "good" Woody, not "great" Woody. All the vignettes work except for the Roberto Benigni one. Avoid that one and To Rome With Love is a lot, lot better.
½ April 3, 2015
Some storylines work better than others, particularly the Roberto Benini one, which gave him some wonderful opportunities to turn in his best performance in a decade. The Penelope Cruz storyline is humorous, but the other storylines are tired and uninteresting.
March 26, 2015
To Rome with Love feels very staged, rehearsed and unnatural. The first half of the film raises a lot of questions and makes it difficult to be completely engrossed in the story. The second half helps explain all the absurd and complete the cycle of unnatural events. However, it plays more like a play than a movie, and everything feels very scripted and lacks certain emotions. It seems the actors were either miscast, or didn't know how to deliver their words, either way, it's a fault of Woody's. To Rome with Love is a movie that you want to enjoy, but struggle at times.
½ March 2, 2015
A few clever ideas does not a movie make. The juvenile pseudo-comedic situations don't help either. I'm disappointed Woody.
½ February 24, 2015
One of a kind film...i dont know why ppl didnt like it...I loved the idea...you have to bebrave to make such film knowing it wont be seen by general public.
January 31, 2015
Banal, pointless and mind numbing. Typically an expose of Woody Allen's all too familiar self absorbed obsession with neurosis. I guess this movie was supposed to be witty, ironic and amusing but it was just tedious.
½ January 25, 2015
Un desperdicio de locaciones, pudo ser diferente.
½ January 21, 2015
Un desperdicio de locaciones, pudo ser diferente.
January 10, 2015
The most creatively hilarious take on singing in the shower one could ever imagine.
½ January 1, 2015
Absolutely likeable and funny.. Rome is such a nice scenery for a movie.
December 23, 2014
Pathetic attempt at... At what? Has Woody Allen run out of scripts?
½ December 3, 2014
A mishmash of interesting characters and characters who could've simply been cut out of the story, we don't know much about anyone in the end and, there's nothing compelling however, it's gorgeous to behold and it's the typical feel-good Woody, if that's what you're after.
½ November 15, 2014
When in Rome, avoid this film and watch "Midnight in Paris" instead. Underwhelming.
October 12, 2014
Not a bad movie, but you have to be in the mood to enjoy it.
September 12, 2014
I think one has to understand Italian comedy for this.
September 8, 2014
Woody Allen sticks a bunch of short film ideas and places them in Rome. That is the whole film, and the number of Allen tropes is so common as to be dull. A good cast could have saved these tropes as it certainly did in other Allen films. However, the cast looks bored most of the time. The stories are connected by very little and the city itself is a mere background; it does not come alive as it often does in his best work. I would rate it lower but Alec Baldwin was quite good.