To Rome with Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

To Rome with Love Reviews

October 12, 2014
Not a bad movie, but you have to be in the mood to enjoy it.
September 12, 2014
I think one has to understand Italian comedy for this.
September 8, 2014
Woody Allen sticks a bunch of short film ideas and places them in Rome. That is the whole film, and the number of Allen tropes is so common as to be dull. A good cast could have saved these tropes as it certainly did in other Allen films. However, the cast looks bored most of the time. The stories are connected by very little and the city itself is a mere background; it does not come alive as it often does in his best work. I would rate it lower but Alec Baldwin was quite good.
September 5, 2014
this movie was one of Woody Allen's worst. I didn't think Woody Allen was capable of writing something this painfully boring.
August 24, 2014
Yes, it's as touristy as some of his last movies, but Woody Allen offers a very watchable and enjoyable comedy. Not all the stories are at the same level, but I think that the one about the tenor singing in the shower is very funny and the best one. Although his presence is intriguing, Alec Baldwin seems to be in the middle of a story that channels the premise of "Play it Again Sam", but predictable and without being very original, and experimental.
July 26, 2014
I've been defending minor Woody Allen films for a long time. However, I have to put the gloves down for this one-- it was awful!

2.2/10
½ July 16, 2014
As great of a writer as Woody Allen is, his movies are often hit and miss. "To Rome with Love" is a miss. A very bland miss.
½ July 16, 2014
There are highs and lows but any low in Woody Allen is still a lot better than what is around. The movie has wonderful actors in Allen, Davis, Mastronardi and Cruz and is highly enjoyable. There are some truly hilarious moments and i love how much Woody Allen knows cinema, in this case italian cinema across the decades. You can breathe the references and the atmosphere from many different auteurs and genres!
July 6, 2014
There's a real sense that Woody was trying to stretch back more to his prose/early cinema absurdist humour but it doesn't quite come off. The Italian/crossover stories are the best ones, except the Cruz one although she's not as annoying and cliché as she was in Vicky Christina Barcelona. There were a few too many moments though where I thought the joke was hammered through rather than subtly dropped. And it was way too predictable. All in all, it's not utterly charmless apart from the crappy predictable American love story one (except for Alex Baldwin who is fun), but it feels a bit first-draft-y, like it needed more work, and there are a lot of problems with continuity and plot, along the way. Still, as the old cliché goes- mediocre Allen is still better than a lot of what passes for films these days. Don't rush out and seek it but if it crosses your path and you're an Allen fan, take a punt.
½ July 6, 2014
Some nice little stories told with Woody Allens unmistakable dialogue by some great actors. Well worth a watch.
June 27, 2014
Funny, charming and a little romancing, 'To Rome with Love' is simply hilarious, but, weak characters, clichéd script, the new film by Woody Allen can be quite funny and a part you can reach your audience with innovative conquer jokes, but this time, his new film was not as attractive as its predecessor, "Midnight in Paris "
½ June 25, 2014
This is one of those movies that's just pure entertainment but isn't anything deeper - like Transformers for Europhilic cultural elitists. There's not really much of a plot or focus. It's split among four separate storylines that feel either dull or extremely contrived. In a way, it reminds me of Woody Allen's previous overrated baloney, Midnight in Paris. Once again, there's lots of drama and fighting between young people and their parents. Once again, people are having stupid drama and quarrels in the backdrop of an overromanticized European city with charming locals with sexy accents.

The Hayley plot (with Hayley's opera director dad trying to get Hayley's future father-in-law to sing opera in the shower) is stupid; it's just a series of annoying fights between Hayley and her father, Hayley's father and Hayley's boyfriend, Hayley and her boyfriend, and Hayley's boyfriend's father and Hayley's father.

The Antonio and Milly plot (with the newlyweds) is the most interesting of the four, as it features a bodacious Penélope Cruz as an alluring prostitute who helps Antonio engage in some educational adultery.

The Leopoldo plot (the ordinary guy becoming famous for being famous) is the worst; it's stupid, annoying, and pointless.

The John/Jack plot (with Alec Baldwin and Jesse Eisenberg playing two architects) is fairly stupid and lame, but it's also kinda interesting in a juicy gossip sort of way. I also liked John's meticulous deconstruction of Monica's faux intellectualism.

I did like the main song, The Starlite Orchestra's rendition of "Amada Mia, Amore Mio". That's probably a good thing considering the movie plays it constantly.
½ June 25, 2014

June 22, 2014
I enjoyed Woody Allen and Jesse Eisenberg, but I couldn`t sit through this horribly unfunny, predictable movie especially when there were no subtitles during the Roman segments.
June 7, 2014
A film certainly made with great care and fondness, but its four vignettes are only mildly successful. Has some funny moments, but it just never quite gels.
Harlequin68
½ June 4, 2014
"To Rome with Love" starts with American tourist Hayley(Alison Pill) meeting cute Michelangelo(Flavio Parenti) in Rome. Following which they fall in love. Soon after, her parents(Judy Davis and Woody Allen) come to visit.

Meanwhile, Leopoldo(Roberto Benigni) becomes famous.

Jack(Jesse Eisenberg) recognizes John(Alec Baldwin) as a notable architect on the streets of Rome. Jack lives with Sally(Greta Gerwig) whose friend Monica(Ellen Page), an underemployed actor, is set to visit them.

Antonio(Alessandro Tiberi) and Milly(Alessandra Mastronardi), a couple of newlyweds come to Rome. While looking for a hairdresser, Milly gets hopelessly lost while Antonio gets an unexpected visit from Anna(Penelope Cruz), a prostitute.

Like a lot of Woody Allen's recent movies, "To Rome with Love" is a near miss, almost frustratingly so. On the plus side, the movie is a valuable reminder as to how much a valuable treasure Judy Davis is and if any actors were born to be in a Woody Allen film, it would be Jesse Eisenberg and Greta Gerwig.(To be honest, that segment would have been better if Gerwig and Page had swapped roles.) Plus, this movie is actually kind of deep at times, not to mention wistful, as it has more than a few things to say on the subject of fame which Woody Allen might know a thing or two about.

But apparently he has forgotten how to do farce as well as he used to, much less as well as "Orphan Black." That's not to mention the unwieldy structure, as the uneven segments should have run back to back instead of crosscutting between them, due to the different time frames involved in each. Even worse, no segment is as fully developed as it should have been. And then there is the one with the shower which should have sounded even too ludicrous on paper which is where it should have been left.
½ May 30, 2014
This movie was okay. It is very unique and the acting performances were pretty good.I bought it because I'm a fan of Ellen Page and Jessie Eisenberg. They both did a good job in it, and it's kind of a cute movie. It's different from the same ol' movies you see everyday. However, it's not one I loved.
May 30, 2014
I haven't seen a ton of Woody Allen, but I've really enjoyed what I have seen, and this has a great cast, so I was really looking forward to this. But honestly, I wasn't really into this at all. It kind of came off like a New York I Love You/Valentine's Day type thing, but in Rome. The acting was fine, some of the storylines were interesting, but there were honestly some lines that I was rolling my eyes at. The storylines didn't mesh at all. Some seemed like they took place in one day, others over a span of a few weeks, and they just never really meshed together. Some were realistic, and others just did not make sense at all/had no rules. (Who could actually see Alec Baldwin? What was he doing? Could they all hear him? What was going on that entire time?) I will say, it didn't help that my version didn't have subtitles for the Italian parts, which was about half of the movie. So, I had a vague idea of what was going on, but I never really knew for sure. So, of all of Woody Allen's movies, skip this one.
May 28, 2014
Despite the lukewarm reception, I'm still very much interested in this year's Woody Allen film.
May 25, 2014
Otra postal de Allen a ciudades europeas que lamentablemente recicla ideas de anteriores filmes del realizador neoyorquino, como la revisión de las experiencias juveniles en plan tercera persona (Alec Baldwin) y la prostituta fuera de lugar en altos circulos intelectuales (Penélope Cruz). Me gusto volver a ver a Judy Davis (Habitual de W.A) representando el polo a tierra a la neurosis de Woody. Bueno, finalmente Woody Allen mantiene diciendo que por cada filme existoso y alabado que hace, hay 2 o 3 en el medio que dividen las opiniones de todos. Creo que a Roma Con Amor pertenece a esta ultima categoria.