To Rome with Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

To Rome with Love Reviews

½ July 6, 2014
Some nice little stories told with Woody Allens unmistakable dialogue by some great actors. Well worth a watch.
June 27, 2014
Funny, charming and a little romancing, 'To Rome with Love' is simply hilarious, but, weak characters, clichéd script, the new film by Woody Allen can be quite funny and a part you can reach your audience with innovative conquer jokes, but this time, his new film was not as attractive as its predecessor, "Midnight in Paris "
½ June 25, 2014
This is one of those movies that's just pure entertainment but isn't anything deeper - like Transformers for Europhilic cultural elitists. There's not really much of a plot or focus. It's split among four separate storylines that feel either dull or extremely contrived. In a way, it reminds me of Woody Allen's previous overrated baloney, Midnight in Paris. Once again, there's lots of drama and fighting between young people and their parents. Once again, people are having stupid drama and quarrels in the backdrop of an overromanticized European city with charming locals with sexy accents.

The Hayley plot (with Hayley's opera director dad trying to get Hayley's future father-in-law to sing opera in the shower) is stupid; it's just a series of annoying fights between Hayley and her father, Hayley's father and Hayley's boyfriend, Hayley and her boyfriend, and Hayley's boyfriend's father and Hayley's father.

The Antonio and Milly plot (with the newlyweds) is the most interesting of the four, as it features a bodacious Penélope Cruz as an alluring prostitute who helps Antonio engage in some educational adultery.

The Leopoldo plot (the ordinary guy becoming famous for being famous) is the worst; it's stupid, annoying, and pointless.

The John/Jack plot (with Alec Baldwin and Jesse Eisenberg playing two architects) is fairly stupid and lame, but it's also kinda interesting in a juicy gossip sort of way. I also liked John's meticulous deconstruction of Monica's faux intellectualism.

I did like the main song, The Starlite Orchestra's rendition of "Amada Mia, Amore Mio". That's probably a good thing considering the movie plays it constantly.
½ June 25, 2014

June 22, 2014
I enjoyed Woody Allen and Jesse Eisenberg, but I couldn`t sit through this horribly unfunny, predictable movie especially when there were no subtitles during the Roman segments.
June 7, 2014
A film certainly made with great care and fondness, but its four vignettes are only mildly successful. Has some funny moments, but it just never quite gels.
Harlequin68
½ June 4, 2014
"To Rome with Love" starts with American tourist Hayley(Alison Pill) meeting cute Michelangelo(Flavio Parenti) in Rome. Following which they fall in love. Soon after, her parents(Judy Davis and Woody Allen) come to visit.

Meanwhile, Leopoldo(Roberto Benigni) becomes famous.

Jack(Jesse Eisenberg) recognizes John(Alec Baldwin) as a notable architect on the streets of Rome. Jack lives with Sally(Greta Gerwig) whose friend Monica(Ellen Page), an underemployed actor, is set to visit them.

Antonio(Alessandro Tiberi) and Milly(Alessandra Mastronardi), a couple of newlyweds come to Rome. While looking for a hairdresser, Milly gets hopelessly lost while Antonio gets an unexpected visit from Anna(Penelope Cruz), a prostitute.

Like a lot of Woody Allen's recent movies, "To Rome with Love" is a near miss, almost frustratingly so. On the plus side, the movie is a valuable reminder as to how much a valuable treasure Judy Davis is and if any actors were born to be in a Woody Allen film, it would be Jesse Eisenberg and Greta Gerwig.(To be honest, that segment would have been better if Gerwig and Page had swapped roles.) Plus, this movie is actually kind of deep at times, not to mention wistful, as it has more than a few things to say on the subject of fame which Woody Allen might know a thing or two about.

But apparently he has forgotten how to do farce as well as he used to, much less as well as "Orphan Black." That's not to mention the unwieldy structure, as the uneven segments should have run back to back instead of crosscutting between them, due to the different time frames involved in each. Even worse, no segment is as fully developed as it should have been. And then there is the one with the shower which should have sounded even too ludicrous on paper which is where it should have been left.
½ May 30, 2014
This movie was okay. It is very unique and the acting performances were pretty good.I bought it because I'm a fan of Ellen Page and Jessie Eisenberg. They both did a good job in it, and it's kind of a cute movie. It's different from the same ol' movies you see everyday. However, it's not one I loved.
May 30, 2014
I haven't seen a ton of Woody Allen, but I've really enjoyed what I have seen, and this has a great cast, so I was really looking forward to this. But honestly, I wasn't really into this at all. It kind of came off like a New York I Love You/Valentine's Day type thing, but in Rome. The acting was fine, some of the storylines were interesting, but there were honestly some lines that I was rolling my eyes at. The storylines didn't mesh at all. Some seemed like they took place in one day, others over a span of a few weeks, and they just never really meshed together. Some were realistic, and others just did not make sense at all/had no rules. (Who could actually see Alec Baldwin? What was he doing? Could they all hear him? What was going on that entire time?) I will say, it didn't help that my version didn't have subtitles for the Italian parts, which was about half of the movie. So, I had a vague idea of what was going on, but I never really knew for sure. So, of all of Woody Allen's movies, skip this one.
May 28, 2014
Despite the lukewarm reception, I'm still very much interested in this year's Woody Allen film.
May 25, 2014
Otra postal de Allen a ciudades europeas que lamentablemente recicla ideas de anteriores filmes del realizador neoyorquino, como la revisión de las experiencias juveniles en plan tercera persona (Alec Baldwin) y la prostituta fuera de lugar en altos circulos intelectuales (Penélope Cruz). Me gusto volver a ver a Judy Davis (Habitual de W.A) representando el polo a tierra a la neurosis de Woody. Bueno, finalmente Woody Allen mantiene diciendo que por cada filme existoso y alabado que hace, hay 2 o 3 en el medio que dividen las opiniones de todos. Creo que a Roma Con Amor pertenece a esta ultima categoria.
May 25, 2014
A bit of a throwback to some of Allen's earlier work. Very enjoyable.
May 11, 2014
Jerry (Woody Allen): I see New York. I see Vienna Opera House. I see Paris. Phyllis (Judy Davis): All in the shower? Jerry (Woody Allen): Yes. They love it that he sings in the shower. They identify. You know, he's going to be the most popular opera singer in the world. Phyllis (Judy Davis): Certainly the cleanest.

This was one of the better Woody Allen films that I've seen recently. The ensemble had very good chemistry and their interaction felt very organic; everyone performed their part so believably. Although, I must point out that Woody Allen's acting was uncharacteristically drab, he's normally more entertaining in his films but in this one, his performance felt a little phoned in. The storylines were intertwined well enough (granted, still not as well put together as "Love Actually" but then again, what is?). Nonetheless, the stories were cute and clever, especially the Alec Baldwin / Jesse Eisenberg storyline which was conceptually brilliant and executed wonderfully. ***SPOILERS*** The idea isn't new but the way John re-lived his memories of Rome was cool. I really dug it and I really enjoyed watching this film.
May 9, 2014
I hope stories could be connected at the end but it turns out to be several independent ones. Interesting but hard to comprehend the meaning of some of the stories.
½ May 7, 2014
It may be out of Woody Allen's comfort zone, but 'To Rome With Love' is a very funny movie.
April 28, 2014
Lower tier Allen effort. Still watchable.
April 23, 2014
An acquired taste to be sure, but I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to visiting Rome!
½ April 13, 2014
I wanted to like it, but Woody Allen failed to meet the high standard he has set for himself. This was not as good as Midnight in Paris or Blue Jasmine in terms of writing and acting, but it was strangely kind of enjoyable even when it made no sense. Allen wrote the best parts for himself, Roberto Benigni, and Ellen Page. Page was the most complex, while Benigni's storyline was the most bizarre, while being quite a statement on society's obsession with faux-celebrities. That was rather clever in theory but very oddly executed. The storyline about the Italian couple, I would say, was the most thought-provoking. Overall, there were moments of clever writing scattered throughout the movie, but it could have been a tighter and some characters should have been more developed in order to reach the level of his other films. The idea was good, but almost sloppily executed.
April 9, 2014
It is a very funny movie
March 24, 2014
There is a good cast and some decent storylines lost in this mess. The problem seems to be in the structure, we come and go from these little stories so often that it becomes hard to keep track. If Allen had edited them as different stories and just shown one at a time, it might've worked...but the way we are with a story and then suddenly in a different story with a different comedic tone...it just feels cluttered and you can't keep interested.