To The Wonder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

To The Wonder Reviews

½ February 3, 2015
Despite what a seeming horde of critics have said about this film, I think it's quite beautiful. Its emotions are honest and its visuals are often breathtaking -- even when the subject in frame is seemingly benign.

I can sympathize with those who lament the presence of apparent Terrence Malick cliches, such as women endlessly and whimsically frolicking all over kingdom come. Perhaps the man has a thing for extremely free-spirited women. Anyway, I'll admit that such moments do take me out of the film as well -- at least momentarily. By the by, there's far too much for me to like here to dismiss this Malick-ian, stream-of-consciousness drama. The actors draw me in with their honest portrayals; and the camera pulls me along with images that can somehow remain both raw/documentary-style, and beautifully cinematic.
January 22, 2015
Without a doubt the most pretencious load of crap ever my misfortune to fast forward through . Thank god I didn't have to pay money and walk out of the cinema.
January 1, 2015
To the Wonder is a beautiful cinematic presentation with poetic verses that tie together a romance. There is little plot in this film and very little seems to actually happen. The drama is in the details and the expressions of the characters; however the problem seems to be that only Malick truly knows what is happening in these moments. The result is having the actors standing around too often or performing gestures of great expression with their bodies as if words were too heavy for the frailty of the films subject, Love.
½ January 1, 2015
A pior sensação que me poderia ocorrer, durante um filme do Terrence Malick, é a de que tinha sido empurrado para uma daquelas divagações arty do Michael Winterbottom ou para as não menos chatas digressões filosóficas do pior Richard Linklater. E, no entanto, é precisamente isso que sinto quando "To the Wonder" respectivamente recorre a mais uma cena de amor só porque sim e quando, de modo totalmente inexplicável, chama uma italiana para nos lembrar de que temos de fazer coisas loucas na vida. De resto, presumo que"To the Wonder" seja o mais perto que alguma vez fiquei de levar um tratamento de ketamina receitado pelo Dr. Terrence Malick: "para ser tomado com elipse após elipse, imagens do céu várias vezes durante dois horas e abundância lírica para nada faltar". "To the Wonder" é um bocado a multiplicação infinita do factor Malick, mas sem saber muito onde deve terminar a equação e começar o filme. A culpa não é sequer de um argumento à partida interessante, no seu paralelo entre as dificuldades de comunicação num casal e num diálogo de um Padre com Deus. Muito se procura em "To the Wonder" e muito pouco se acha também.
½ December 29, 2014
esperando Knight of Cups, que se ve mejor.
December 18, 2014
Terrence Malick- fuck off please.
½ December 16, 2014
Melkonen taidepläjäys, mutta hienosti tehty. Kovin kummosta juonta ei ole kehitelty, mutta kerronta on omaa luokkaansa. "Tunnelma" on tämän elokuvan teema.
December 16, 2014
To The Wonder is a masterpiece. Dialogue is not necessary. The amazing cast certainly gives the movie impact. I watched this for a second time yesterday. Because there is no real dialogue the story is open to some interpretation. To The Wonder is a very beautiful film. The post apocalyptic like American suburban landscape is frightening. The American countryside is stunning. The bison are stars on their own; the scenes with Ben and Rachel with the bison are extraordinary.
December 15, 2014
Even duller and more pointless than The Tree of Life...and that's saying something.

I watched this because it was directed by Terrence Malick. You would
think I would have learned by now: of his last two movies, The New
World was so-so and The Tree of Life was pretentious, dull and
drawn-out beyond belief.

Yet I keep hoping he'll snap out of this pretentious phase and go back
to making good movies. His first three movies, Badlands, Days of Heaven
and The Thin Red Line, were great, the latter especially so.

No such luck. To The Wonder is even worse than The Tree of Life. More
pretentious, more pointless and duller.

The one positive thing you can rely on from Malick - the cinematography
- is still there, but that's all. However, it is becoming a crutch. His
method of film-making seems to be: choose a scenic location, film it
from different angles, throw in some people talking and acting
randomly, Viola! we have a movie. Don't worry about plot, theme or even
being coherent, as the critics will swoon at the cinematography and
call the movie "art".

Last time I watch a movie simply because it is directed by Terrence
Malick.
November 13, 2014
A beautiful flawed mess, with amazing cinematography.
½ November 9, 2014
With a no touching, boring and with a lot of cliches narrative Terrence Malick's bring to us a movie that don't demonstrate the good cast qualities.
½ November 9, 2014
November 8, 2014
A lyrical Malick film.
October 31, 2014
Eff it, I'll make any piece-of-crap Mallick makes.
October 22, 2014
This movie is kind of terrible.....It's boring and and the character development sucks. The actors also do hardly any acting, especially Ben Affleck, he just kind of walks around and stares at everyone and doesn't speak.....and kisses women. The movie is also hard to follow and completely random.
½ October 15, 2014
It's Malick so it's definitely worth a watch
October 2, 2014
A wonderful, enigmatic and thoughtful film. A fabulous cast at their best. Ignore the public and critical dismissal of the film. They missed something. In fact, they missed quite a lot. Wonderful soundtrack. The Wagner, in particular, was exquisite. The ending was inexplicably perfect and moving. A great film. It is at Civic Video Katoomba
September 29, 2014
Perhaps no other filmmaker has repeated himself as wearily in recent years as Terrence Malick. His last truly great film was The Thin Red Line from 1998; since then, he disappointed heavily with The New World, showed signs of improvement with the ambitious (but meandering and overrated) Tree of Life, but now he has really bottomed out. To the Wonder is an arduous snooze-fest that features the typically stunning imagery, but ponders the exactly same philosophical and metaphysical issues that Malick has depleted many times before. The abstractness and lack of story, character development and dialogue are usually the things that anger many about his films, but To the Wonder exasperates just because it doesn't offer the audience anything that Malick wouldn't have offered before. We've seen the images of underwater life. We've seen the images of women dancing on the fields with their arms open. We've seen the images of children playing. "What does it all mean?" is the quintessential question of Malick's films, but here you don't think about it, because you don't care. Malick doesn't spoon-feed the audience and encourages us to think and draw our own conclusions, which is respectable, but where filmmakers like Kubrick did, and Cronenberg, von Trier and Paul Thomas Anderson still do, manage to tell a story or at least create interesting characters while offering small clues about what could be the meaning of the story, Malick merely wallows in artsiness and stagnation, and his efforts at ambiguous symbolism feel compulsive and smug. There are allegedly biographical elements in both The Tree of Life and this, so it appears he makes movies about himself, for himself. Based on the content of the films, he seems like a meditative and sensitive, but not a very interesting guy. To the Wonder is a punishing endurance test. You'll be checking the time after 10 minutes.
September 7, 2014
3 stars for gorgeous cinematography. No stars for anything else, which is very fair, since nothing else happens.
½ September 6, 2014
A sad misfire from Malick. Using many of the same tolls in previous films, this fails to connect and feels labored. Obviously every shot is immaculate and some arresting moments. Kind of enjoyed the way Affleck was shot. It worked with his character. Felt like the film was about to make some kind of strong comment on how men often are so hot and cold and confused and detached with their feelings, but it never happened. It's not for every film to answer questions, but sadly this film did not pose any, when there was ample opportunity to.