The Toast of New York - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Toast of New York Reviews

October 14, 2015
You can lie faster than a horse can trot.

Jim Fisk and his two friends are notorious robbers who recently stole a lot of confederate bonds and hope to exchange them for control over gold on Wall Street. They pair with a gullible train company owner and ultimately spin their bonds into control over all of the gold in the United States, but will riches destroy the group of friends and Wall Street?

"Are you an inventor or are you hungry?"
"Yes."

Rowland Lee, director of The Count of Monte Cristo, The Son of Monte Cristo, Captain Kid, Son of Frankenstein, Powder Town, and One Rainy Afternoon, delivers Toast of New York. The storyline for this picture is well done and contains wonderful characters. The cast delivers awesome performances and includes Cary Grant, Edward Arnold, Frances Farmer, Billy Gilbert, and Donald Meek.

"What are you going to do with my wife?"
"Don't worry I'll buy you two more."

I came across this upcoming movie on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and had to DVR it. This was so fun. This is a classic movie fan's dream with dynamic over the top characters with a sly and crafty Cary Grant with his witty one liners and playful performance. I am a big fan of this movie and would recommend it strongly to classic movie fans. It may not be Grant's best movie, but it's a classic Cary Grant performance.

"There are some things you want more than anything in the world that you know you can't have."

Grade: B
½ December 2, 2014
good costume drama historical pic of sorts
½ February 8, 2011
This was a decent film starring Edward Arnold, Cary Grant, Frances Farmer and Jack Oakie. The story is set just before the Civil War. Three con men make money during the war. Once the war is over they head to New York to make even more money. Friendships are tested through deals, swindles and love. Edward Arnold and Cary Grant both give great performances. The film is fun. It has that nice mix of comedy and drama. If your a Cary Grant or Edward Arnold fan then check this out. Well worth the watch.
½ April 8, 2010
November 28, 2008
I usually don't like saloon type movies, but this was pretty good because I liked seeing Frances Farmer. When she would make her motions and expressions, it reminded me so much when Jessica Lange played her in the movie "Frances". Jessica Lange did such a great job playing her.
½ October 30, 2005
78/100. Based on an actual person, but very Hollywoodized. But it is a very entertaining film, with Edward Arnold doing an exceptional job. He is such an under appreciated actor. Cary Grant does well in an early role for him. Good story, blessed also by the presence of Frances Farmer. A fine classic.