Todo sobre mi madre (All About My Mother) (1999) - Rotten Tomatoes

Todo sobre mi madre (All About My Mother) (1999)

TOMATOMETER

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: Almodovar weaves together a magnificent tapestry of femininity with an affectionate wink to classics of theater and cinema in this poignant story of love, loss and compassion.

Todo sobre mi madre (All About My Mother) Videos

Todo sobre mi madre (All About My Mother) Photos

Movie Info

Pedro Almodóvar directed this story of a woman and her circle of friends who find themselves suffering a variety of emotional crises. Manuela (Cecilia Roth) is a single mother who has raised her son, Esteban (Eloy Azorín), to adulthood on her own and has come to emotionally depend on him. One night, Manuela and Esteban take in a production of A Streetcar Named Desire; after the show, Esteban is struck and killed by a passing motorist as he dashes into the street to get an autograph from Huma Rojo (Marisa Paredes), who played Blanche. Emotionally devastated, Manuela relocates to Barcelona in hopes of finding her ex-husband (and Esteban's father), who is now working as a female impersonator. Manuela becomes reacquainted with old friend La Agrado (Antonia San Juan), a transsexual, and is introduced to Sister Rosa (Penélope Cruz), a good-hearted nun who has to contend with her considerably more cynical mother (Rosa María Sardà). While looking for work, Manuela becomes acquainted with Huma Rojo. Huma, on the other hand, has troubles of her own, most involving her drug-addicted significant other, Nina (Candela Peña). Displaying Almodóvar's trademark visual style and a unusually strong sense of character-driven drama, Todo Sobre Mi Madre/All About My Mother received a highly anticipated theatrical run in Spain before winning the Best Director award at the 1999 Cannes Film Festival; in 2000, Almodóvar would receive the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. ~ Mark Deming, Rovi

Watch it now

as Madre de Rosa
Eloy Azorin
as Esteban
Fernando Guillén Cuervo
as Doctor in 'Streetcar Named Desire'
Manuel Morón
as Doctor #1
Juan Jose Otegui
as Gynecologist
Patxi Freytez
as Pharmacist
Show More Cast

Critic Reviews for Todo sobre mi madre (All About My Mother)

All Critics (83) | Top Critics (24)

It brims with life.

TIME Magazine

It's a lovely work.

Slate
Top Critic

An emotionally satisfying and brilliantly played take on the ups and (mostly) downs of a group of less-than-typical female friends.

Variety
Top Critic

For me it felt like a good many weeks at a politically correct summer camp.

Chicago Reader
Top Critic

All About My Mother, for all its self-deconstruction, is played with more sobriety and conviction than any of Mr. Almodóvar's previous films.

Full Review… | April 27, 2007
New York Observer
Top Critic

It displays a depth and maturity lacking in Almodóvar's earlier work.

Full Review… | February 9, 2006
Time Out
Top Critic

Audience Reviews for Todo sobre mi madre (All About My Mother)

All About My Mother is a challenge to the conservative and conventional on family and relationships. Masterful performances, even from the young Penelope Cruz. Outrageously beautiful.

Jan Marc Macababayao
Jan Marc Macababayao

½

It's nearly impossible to not be swept up in Pedro Almodóvar's melodrama "All About My Mother." It's a very affecting story that is clearly very personal and told with great care. The performances, especially from Cecilia Roth, are lovely and the cinematography is fluid and precise. "All About My Mother" is beautiful, funny and touching with just enough Spanish melodrama to wash it all down.

Steven Carrier
Steven Carrier

Manuela (Cecilia Roth) is the central character in this movie. She lives in Madrid with her son Esteban (Eloy Azorin),and for his birthday, she takes him to a production of Streetcar. The play holds special meaning for her as she played the role of Stella when she was younger. The play moves both of them, and Esteban wants the autograph of Huma Rojo (Marisa Paredes) after the show. He also wants Manuela to tell him the story about his father, an unknown figure in his life. Rojo enters a taxi before Esteban can reach her, so he chases after the taxi, only to be hit by a car and killed. She takes a journey back to Barcelona, where she left Estebans father long ago. For her son, Manuela sets out to find her sons father.....

♥Robyn  M♥
♥Robyn M♥

Todo sobre mi madre (All About My Mother) Quotes

Discussion Forum

Discuss Todo sobre mi madre (All About My Mother) on our Movie forum!

News & Features