Toe to Toe Reviews

• Aug 12, 2013

Excellent coming of age of movie. I feel about twenty five years too old watching this. LOL. But I enjoyed it.

• Feb 20, 2013

I loved this movie, watched it tonight. And, I will watch it again !

I loved this movie, watched it tonight. And, I will watch it again !

• Nov 03, 2012

i love this movie <3

i love this movie <3

• Jul 12, 2012

Emily Abt's study of the lifestyles of two contrasting high school girls doesn't always ring true, but deserves an A for effort.

• Dec 25, 2011

When reading the synopsis of this movie, I assumed it was going to be a rehashing of recent movies with a hard working black student trying to fit in, and over privileged white student who squanders their opportunities, how they become friends and learn about each other...and on the surface it kinda is that. But after watching the movie it goes much deeper into the spirits that drive these two girls to do what they do. True Tosha is a hardworking scholarship student at a prep school, but she is also pushed and driven by an overbearing grandmother, who treats her other siblings like trash. And Jessie is a rich kid, but she is essentially she's a latch key kid, because her mother is always overseas. There are times in this movie when you smile, cringe, and cheer... and those are usually good ingredients to a good movie.

• Aug 05, 2011

A lot better than I thought it would be. The movie features some great performances from these unknown young actresses (Krause and Martin). The story centers on two high school seniors, Tosha and Jessie, who form a friendship thanks to their mutual love of lacrosse. The two are polar opposites. Tosha is black, comes from a poor, rough neighborhood, has a tight-knit family, and is a laser-focused scholar student trying to get to Princeton University on a full ride after graduation. Jessie is white, wealthy, barely sees her mother, promiscuous, and barely hanging onto high school by a thread. Their bond is as fragile as it sounds as Jessie begins flirting with Rashid, a boy who seems more interested in Tosha but willing to settle for the self destructive (and easy) party girl, Jessie The movie is brave for the subject matter it takes on and it handles it all very well and in a believable way. It's really a shame interracial friendships end for such a high percentage of American teens, especially considering just how diverse our country is.

• Apr 18, 2011

I think A. O. Scott wrote some very perceptive things in his review - this movie is really a YA novel, like The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian. It hurts in the way that genre can, and offers hope in the same way. It's a little obvious, yes, but also raw and sincere. Sonequa Martin is reallyreallyreally good.

• Apr 03, 2011

krause and martin carried film like lacrosse ball in their lacrosse stx. dont be fooled by who is poor, who is wealthy, who has it all and who doesnt. loved the story.

• Apr 01, 2011

A scary movie for the right reasons. I wish the youth culture in this film didn't exist, but it does.

• Dec 06, 2010

The two brave lead actresses give this movie a fresh feeling that lasts. It found all of it very real in a great way. Recommended