Tokyo Eyes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tokyo Eyes Reviews

½ May 27, 2009
Immersion in an anonymous Tôkyô, a labyrinth of small streets, a sweet romantic story. Let yourself go into this innocent and fresh romance !

A movie for open-minded tôkyô's fans !
April 26, 2009
French-Japanese production with nice camera work and plot and a cool soundtrack. The final scene is memorable. Kitanos appearance is very short and I am not sure whether his character really was significant for the movie after all.

I can understand why people argue about whether the performances of the actors were good or not: I decided to like them. K's movements gave the film a unique vibe and Hinanos childish behavior and voice were in my opinion genuinely(!) adorable (- which is very hard to achieve with the stereotypical role of the Japanese high-school girl).
DragonEyeMorrison
½ April 15, 2009
Interesting premise, but the film never delivers any of the social commentary it tries to inject. Not a bad effort, but hardly memorable. The stars are mostly for Kitano's cameo as, you guess it, a low-rank yakuza.
April 10, 2009
This movie seems scary but it is actually pretty sweet.
½ February 20, 2009
Enjoyable Viewing.
½ August 4, 2008
lol.....
That's all have to say.
Terrible plot, dialogue, and acting.
Great idea, but poorly executed
½ July 11, 2008
good japanese film by a french director. i love it!
April 20, 2008
A great movie ... Jean-Pierre Limosin share is passion for japan with a good story ...
½ February 18, 2008
pretty good twist and a great story line. there is little action but it's good.
½ February 17, 2008
Hinano is adorable in this movie, movie itself is not bad, Shinji looking pretty sexy too.
February 16, 2008
Male lead had great physical movement. Something very moving about this film...not quite sure what. Beat Takeshi pops up from nowhere, they sing Serge Gainsbourg with Japanese accents...have you heard of a such a wonderful thing? Where he is running after the trash collectors saying that he is trash as well...somehow didn't seem so trite to me. I was surprised that the girl lead was an idol in real life but I guess her character wasn't SO developed. But natural...
November 30, 2007
Godard lite-- all handheld camera, haphazard cutting, and wandering around the city-- but nobody gets shot or hit by a car at the end. Suffers a lot from the female lead not having any personality-- she's a total airhead. The plot is not much thicker than the synopsis, and after about an hour it seems like the writers had no idea where to go with it. Takeshi Kitano shows up around the 80-minute mark and I was hoping he could inject some life into the movie but it just plods along another 15 min. and goes out with a whimper.
½ November 26, 2007
its hard to finish watching this movie. help...
½ September 8, 2007
nice concept. interesting and morally questionable motives for what is ultimately a love story. iconic 90's techno soundtrack highly nostalgic and enjoyable.
September 5, 2007
Hm, I don't reallt get it... Very good music though.
½ September 1, 2007
Japanese society by a french director and charismatic actors. Fumiya tanaka (japanese famous DJ) plays its dark techno .. enjoy the sound
August 19, 2007
Crazy movie, drive me craxy for Shinji Takeda!!!
½ July 16, 2007
This movie got a lot of mixed reviews, but I really liked it. Then again, I like a lot of Asian Cinema. Hinano Yoshikawa was really cute.
July 4, 2007
Very strange film indeed. I like the premise of a criminal, whose true underlying purpose behind his attacks is to invigorate life into people who need it. The criminal himself meets a young naive girl who yearns to live and experience all that life has to offer. Their love story unfolds. Climax of story leads to a weird ending. Didn't understand some parts of the film. Intriguing and interesting enough for a second viewing though.