Tokyo Story (Tôkyô monogatari) Reviews

• 4d ago

it's all been said by the critics. Ozu is one of history's top directors, and this is one of his top films.

• Feb 03, 2021

The first time I saw this movie I liked it, but it left me wondering what all the hype was about. After familiarizing myself with Ozu's oeuvre and then watching Tokyo Story a second time I realized what an amazing film it is.

• Jan 26, 2021

Tokyo Story is the GOAT of all Japanese movies. Overall, I have nothing to say but love and respect.

• Sep 20, 2020

You must watch now. Absolutely fantastic.

You must watch now. Absolutely fantastic.

• Sep 02, 2020

Absolutely beautiful despite its seeming simplicity. A fascinating masterpiece.

Absolutely beautiful despite its seeming simplicity. A fascinating masterpiece.

• Aug 28, 2020

I'm not surprised the old bird passed away. They never identified the cause but my first guess is that she died of boredom. Awful clichéd film runs at a sloth like pace and offers zero in terms of enlightenment or excitement. No wonder the kids didn't want to spend time with their parents with their anodyne monosyllabic chat and boring niceties. The company of anyone in this family would send the best of us into a coma. It might be deemed a classic but anyone watching this without knowing it's status would be tempted to turn it off after half an hour. I trudged through it to say I've seen it but would advise against other people doing likewise.

• Jul 13, 2020

この偉大な映画は国境を越えて感情を揺さぶる日本の宝

この偉大な映画は国境を越えて感情を揺さぶる日本の宝

• May 27, 2020

Ozu's masterpiece may look very simple at first glance, but it is extraordinarily complex when you watch theough it. The characters filled with each of their own personalities and the story itself, simple but such a poignant family drama which is told is such an understated way. The film often makes you take pity or feel disgusted at the characters. But in the end, the film reminds us that we are just like them, that we are humans, and that what we're watching is simply a reflection of what and who we are.

• May 18, 2020

Yasujiro Ozu proves he has a way with human emotions like no other in his magnum opus.

• May 11, 2020

Touching movie with relatable and realistic characters. Even though this movie is from the 50s, but the value this movie holds is very universal and relevant to our global society. The story of children living in big city on their own with their own issues, welcoming their elderly parents from the countryside. The acting maybe looked stiff, yet the message the actors delivered is somehow implicit and meaningful.