Tokyo gomi onna (Tokyo Garbage Girl) (Tokyo Trash Baby) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tokyo gomi onna (Tokyo Garbage Girl) (Tokyo Trash Baby) Reviews

½ May 16, 2013
The movie is useless and it looks like a cheap digi-cam film. There's no baby in the movie. Tokyo Trash Baby is just about a Japanese slutty stalker/garbage girl stalking at the garbage of her crush.
September 4, 2011
A fascinating little story about a weirdo girl Miyuki who falls big time for the grungy guitarist who lives in the apartment upstairs from her own. She likes him so much she grabs the trash he throws out and goes through it daily - piercing together his life and personality - what he eats, smokes, the shampoo he washes his hair and all of his secrets.

This movie is bizarre tale of adoration and the behaviour of Miyuki is very creepy. The story does have some charm to it, with some intriguing and spirited characters thrown into the mix. Especially at the café that Miyuki works at. Mami Nakamura is great as Miyuki and we do sympathise with the way her character behaves. Kou Shibasaki has a nice supporting role as Miyuki's slutty colleague who constantly boasts about her sexual conquests.

I think this is a movie that divides opinion - some will like the quirky storyline about an off-beat character whilst others will think it's too weird for their taste and find it dull. If you want to see a Japanese movie that strays off the usual beaten path then you'll enjoy this movie.
½ January 7, 2011
Mami Nakamura's performance makes this one a big winner. She's engaging and sympathetic from start to finish as a girl who lives her love for the guy upstairs vicariously through his garbage. The script is tight and amusing. A small film shot on DV.
March 11, 2010
I saw just the first scenes and I like so much I wash if I could see it all
½ June 24, 2009
I tried to like this movie but it just fell flat for me. I didn't particularly like the main character which meant I didn't really care what happened to her and her obsession. I thought the friend at the restaurant with her funny sex-capades stories was more interesting.
December 29, 2008
"A few days in the life of..." sort of movie. Curiously interesting because of it's plainness, simplicity, and realistic portrayal of people coping with the confusions that abound in our day-to-day-life, re: how to define & where to find love, fulfillment, and self-worth. A reminder that sometimes reality is weirder than fiction.
November 2, 2008
I dunno whether I liked it or not. The story didn't really go anywhere. It was really weird though.
August 23, 2008
beautiful and obsessive
April 21, 2008
i liked the story. the characters seemed a little flat. even when things were happening, the movie seemed to stay still. not slow, but just motionless, despite all the going-ons. i did like the end, where miyuki finally takes her (his?) trash to "yume no shima." i thought it was a grand way to purge herself.
April 20, 2008
love it. very vibrant and focused. it's not all about the beauty or ideal of love but a kind of insanity, freakness, uncontrolability...
½ February 25, 2008
a perfect chinese new year baby...everyone got his happy ending
½ January 31, 2008
I saw this movie in 2007 and had mixed feelings. I liked what the movie was about and it was really low budget but it's not something I would recommend to anyone.
December 22, 2007
It's a very good movie to remind nowadays ppl what they should do and what they shouldn't. Love their acting and love the way they opened themselves in this movie. Maybe I know the culture pretty well and that's why I think it's so real and so sad about it. Many Japanese are so unrealistic these days and living in their own dreams... how sad. A good movie to inspire life.
November 30, 2007
What's this? Has anybody seen this?